• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Finally got around to installing accessories on the Ruger Charger TD a member sold to me. BX Trigger Pack, ext mag release, New BHO with bolt drop plate (rather than mod orig, getting lazy!)m and a HoloSun 503CU.

Feels good, and should shoot as well as it looks!

Ruger Chrger TD Final Small.jpg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Finally got around to installing accessories on the Ruger Charger TD a member sold to me. BX Trigger Pack, ext mag release, New BHO with bolt drop plate (rather than mod orig, getting lazy!)m and a HoloSun 503CU.

View attachment 300364
    Looks like fun.

Recondo 101

Expert
    Had some cleaning to do today in the shop/reloading room, floor was covered in sanding dust.

Gate repair guy came to fix the gate, hog hunter out of Geneva. God's gun, lightning, got the control box card. Price of a new rifle and it is fixed. We talked about some repairs on a new buy of his.

Raven

Master

View attachment 300364
    Are you using Ruger mags or Glock mags? Had a competitor tell me that when competing with these and slamming mags in fast there were issues with bending or warping the Glock mag adapter. Let me know about your experience. Im on the fence with these Rugers

RackinRay

Master
    Are you using Ruger mags or Glock mags? Had a competitor tell me that when competing with these and slamming mags in fast there were issues with bending or warping the Glock mag adapter. Let me know about your experience. Im on the fence with these Rugers
    I use the Ruger BX mags, no issues with them.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I use the Ruger BX mags, no issues with them.
    .22.... not 9mm.
    Want one, no idea, why. Got the 15-22P, it eats everything. Love it. Even more with the can. 100% AR controls. Even the takedown. 3.5 lbs.....
    AR15 training at .05 a shot. Needs a binary trigger!!

**** NO LONGER MADE ***

20210314_203531.jpg

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    .22.... not 9mm.
    Ah, yes .22 Charger not a PC Charger. Now I understand Raven's query. Not fully caffeinated yet!

I tote 9mm pistols, but have been traveling with a Ruger 10-22 TD rifle as my longer range tool. Can carry 3x the ammo for it as any other caliber and it shoots great with a can. Hopefully the Charger will do as well.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Mounted that new Mueller 8-32X44 on the CZ..it wasn't long before it came off. windage (.125) 2 clicks moves it .25 @ 50. Vertical is crazy...one time move the cross hair to the impact..next shot is 4" high. Next tried to bring it down half way and shoot...the 16 clicks moved it about 3/4" after attempting it 3 times I gave up when it hit 4" low. Funny thing is I could put them in about the same hole even with the Standard Plus if I left it where it was. Parallax kept moving in and out too. One second it was clear...next second it was blurry...definitely no mirage today at 50. Little disappointed after reading the reviews on them.

Put the Athlon back on dialed it in with 2 shots and sent 150 more rounds

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I finally found the .308 Match brass I was looking for to make an even 100 for a project with about the same case weight as the ones they brought. In the process I think I mentioned I found 3 cans of unprocessed .45ACP while looking for the .308. Before I found the .308 the count had moved up to 5 cans of unprocessed .45ACP and a can of 9MM, That should have me set at 3.5 5gal buckets of .45ACP and about that much 9MM

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I finally found the .308 Match brass I was looking for to make an even 100 for a project with about the same case weight as the ones they brought. In the process I think I mentioned I found 3 cans of unprocessed .45ACP while looking for the .308. Before I found the .308 the count had moved up to 5 cans of unprocessed .45ACP and a can of 9MM, That should have me set at 3.5 5gal buckets of .45ACP and about that much 9MM
    Hey, I think I found the gear you need to help with your matches. :)
    301.jpeg

Recondo 101

Expert
    Went by the Andalusia Show, alway interesting and nice folks.
    I thought about going a couple weeks ago, gettmg tables, etc., then forgot it as I got launched into repairing, the entry gate, from a lightning strike, and the parts for a a House HD disc set repair came in and landscape rake repair, so I just plum forgot. Neighbor a couple miles down the road called, you want to go, tomorrow, OK.

So I did not go to buy anything except accessories, found a Mountain Rose hand tooled leather Glock 23 belt holster and a 1911 Commander length horizontal carry, shoulder rig, for a combined $50. Easy deal on that, not all that common.

Got the wife a birthday gift, a small hand made, lady sized, drop point skinner, carry knife of 6 layer steel folded and etched damascus with pink toned stabalized camel bone grip panels. Pretty little knife with a leather tension sheath.

IMG_0736.jpeg

Daezee

Master
    Picked up my Krag M1899 carbine yesterday. Would soak bore with Hoppes for an hour or so, wipe out, and repeat until patches no longer showing copper. Took about 24 hours.

B52 gave me some copper wool. Wet copper wool with Hoppes and gently rubbed outside of bbl to remove any rust without hurting the bluing. Bbl looks nice for being 123 years old. Bore is bright shiny, but I already knew that.

Loaded test loads with 15, 15.5, and 16 gr 2400 and Lyman 311284, a 210 gr bullet designed for the Krag back in the day. 15 gr shot 35 yd 5 shot group of .567” center to center. After I took a picture, I had 2 of that load left so I shot them and they were centered in the 5 shot group…should have taken another pic. I bet a better shot could get a one hole group. Other loads shot “ok”, but not as good.

The two lower shots were fired just to make sure I was on paper, adjusting elevation after each shot.

IMG_0620.jpeg

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Hey, I think I found the gear you need to help with your matches. :) View attachment 301096
    my old azz don't got gear like that anymore...if it did it wouldn't be purdy.

I'm such a light weight I only got those 2 buckets (not 1.5 like I thought) of .45ACP in a quick tumble to remove debris and only got about 1/3 of a bucket sized

B52

Master
    Picked up my Krag M1899 carbine yesterday. Would soak bore with Hoppes for an hour or so, wipe out, and repeat until patches no longer showing copper. Took about 24 hours.

B52 gave me some copper wool. Wet copper wool with Hoppes and gently rubbed outside of bbl to remove any rust without hurting the bluing. Bbl looks nice for being 123 years old. Bore is bright shiny, but I already knew that.

Loaded test loads with 15, 15.5, and 16 gr 2400 and Lyman 311284, a 210 gr bullet designed for the Krag back in the day. 15 gr shot 35 yd 5 shot group of .567” center to center. After I took a picture, I had 2 of that load left so I shot them and they were centered in the 5 shot group…should have taken another pic. I bet a better shot could get a one hole group. Other loads shot “ok”, but not as good.

The two lower shots were fired just to make sure I was on paper, adjusting elevation after each shot.

View attachment 301124
    post pictures of the carbine

Daezee

Master
    Buy the gun, not the story...

Well I bought the Krag without the story, and the previous owner told Uber's he'd be happy to talk to the buyer with the history of the Krag. Had a nice conversation
    IMG_0309.jpeg

with him today. I'll omit his name in this posting and just call him "seller" and post my notes (too many words to uncapitalize).

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY M1899 KRAG CARBINE #351122 MADE IN OCTOBER 1901

BOUGHT AT GOVT AUCTION IN CONNECTICUT BY seller's GRANDFATHER (FARMER) FOR $5 (1920). GRANDFATHER (FARMER) HARDLY SHOT IT. PASSED TO HIS SON (WHO NEVER SHOT IT), WHO PASSED IT TO HIS SON (seller). Seller HAD NO SON TO PASS IT TO, SO IT WENT TO UBER’S ON CONSIGNMENT AND THEN TO ME. Seller AND A FRIEND BOUGHT SOME AMMO A FEW YEARS BACK, SHOT IT, SAID IT KICKED TOO MUCH, AND GAVE ME THE 2 BOXES OF COMMERCIAL AMMO THEY DIDN’T FIRE. IT BASICALLY HUNG ON THE WALL FOR 100 YEARS. Seller HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THE FRONT SIGHT BLADE BEING CHANGED.

Seller was pleased to find out the bore when cleaned was nice. Had no idea the oiler and combination tool were in the buttstock. No idea of what the "24" on the stock meant (I said most likely a rack number for inventory purposes to see if all the unit's Krag's were accounted for). Told him when it was made and that carbines were normally issued to cavalry, signal, and engineer units.

In the above pic I’m trying to show the bbl finish...still couldn't get rid of all the reflected lines in the sun, but I think you'll get the idea.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom