• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Got a text from my favorite gun shop. They took in a collection of military rifles on consignment and had one that could be of interest to me. Model 1899 Krag carbine. Never thought I own a real Krag carbine.

Took cleaning stuff, gages, sample cast bullets of two diameters and reference book to the shop. With B52’s help, went over it muzzle to butt. While I’m not a Krag authority, I have some knowledge. I was given permission to remove and examine the bolt for completeness and locking lug cracks and do a quick bore cleaning.

Except for the front sight blade, it’s an all correct carbine including “C” markings on the rear sight parts, no sling swivels, and high hump handguard to provide protection for rear sight when put into a saddle scabbard. Made October 1901. Proper JSA 1901 cartouche and “P” proof mark. Bore is bright shiny. Nice rifling. Muzzle is “2”. Throat wear is .05” less than my M1898 rifle which shoots beautifully. Bonus: Found oiler and combo tool in the buttstock. No cleaning rod in the buttstock. Without slugging the bore, but using cast bullets, it looks like the bore is proper .300” diameter, so that is good. No unit marks, but rack number 24 is stamped on the stock.

A real “C” marked front sight blade is made of unobtainium, so my route will probably take a rifle blade and file it to carbine specs in height. Since it’s a consignment gun, there’s a 15 day wait before I can pick it up.

Couple of quick pics.

Attachment.jpeg
    IMG_0617.jpeg

Daezee

Master
    FYI, what military rifles did Uber’s take in? IIRC, 2 M1 WWII Springfield’s, one with a nice NFR marked stock. Savage Enfield with nice bore. 1955 vintage Enfield, as new but missing magazine…owner is trying to find the mag so as to have it all matching. 3 M1 carbines, all Very nice with proper cartouches, Rockola, Inland, Underwood…at least two had flip sights and early metal and wood. High number SA M1903…went through San Antonio Arsenal rebuild, WWII rebarrel as new, Remington bolt, scant stock with proper proof and cartouche and finish...serial number 101xxxx…milled parts...looks like a correct rebuild, not put together by someone. I did not look at the Garand bores, but the rifles were nice looking. Finally the Krag which I claimed.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    ** the rarr x39 was busting water bottles @120 with crap fmj. :). Im stiil waiting to get my endorsement check from ruger. Team Ruger!
    Ya still gotta run the bolt with authority. Just snatch and shove. One of my keeper rifles just because it does so well with steel case bulk.

Recondo 101

Expert
    Repaired two more stock cracks of the four total cracks at the action/stock joint on the little Savage 410 single barrel's walnut stock.

One of those just because I can, projects for a 100% disabled Vet. His "growing up" gun. Many miles and memories in a kid's well used little single barrel 410 shotgun. :)

shootersid94

Expert
    Decided to see how well my new flash hider reduced flash. I got tired of the noise from shooting a brake. Phone camera gives a bit of an idea, definitely not as good as a quality camera. First picture is bare muzzle, second is the VG6 Gamma 5.56 brake, third is Infinite 3 prong flash hider.
    Screenshot 2024-08-02 213556b_094547.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-02 213107_094542.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-02 214128_094549.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    That may give you a small crack coming out.
    Yeah, probably will but for other uses it's ok. *** just shot it. A shade louder than the cci standard. No crack. Might have found a good play round. Action and bullet hitting was louder. They must be telling stories on the fps. P17 pistol with full lenght can. May need to bulk up on a cheap jacketed hp.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Checked out AA Guns in Monroeville by the court house, cool stuff and good prices. Bought a box of cci suppressor to try in my 15-22P. 970 fps. Was killing time waiting for A&M pawn to call about my rifle** Should be later today. While there I picked up a new blade for my electric saw and an extra JTS 12 ga mag.
    *** just called its in, lol.
    20240806_135408.jpg

Top Bottom