• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Been reloading pistol rounds, 38 special, 41 mag, 45 Colt.

Today was the first test of small rifle primer “seconds” @ $210/5000. Advertised as “Less than .01% low charge - not ideal for cold temps”.

Loaded 20 rounds of 5.56 with my standard load of WW748 and 55gr fmj. Used an AR SBR with LaRue MBT trigger. Zero problems firing; no hesitation in firing noted. Firing pin hits looked normal.

Next test will be with a Ruger American that I know gives about 5% failures to fire with hard cup CCI 41’s (so I use CCI 400’s in it).

IMG_0302.jpeg

Diver43

Shooter
    Went to the range yesterday. Shot my long neglect Pro2A Tactical 6.8 SPC ii. I still have not figured out the barrel twist rate but it seems to shoot everything fairly well. This morning I cleaned it

Daezee

Master
    I’m an old reloader and grew up on bullseye, unique, and 2400 for pistols. They covered it from slow to fast. I did a count and I use unique in 6 rifles and 6 pistols. In rifles it’s all with my cast bullets.

A while back Alliant announced several powders suspended from civilian production for the time being. Fulfilling military contracts and I suspect due to domestic nitrocellulose shortages. I haven’t found new unique for sale in stores/online in years. Did find a 4 pound container for sale cheap on the forum. Cheap due to rust on the outside metal. Popped the lid and all was fine inside…unique is a long lasting powder…forced the seller to let me pay twice as much and it was still a bargain at $25/pound.

Research showed BE-86 is slightly slower than unique, a different chemistry cheaper to make, available and sometimes on sale. Users are starting with their unique data and slowly working up .1-.2 grains if needed. To that end I bought a jug on sale with shipping included. First test will be substituting in my 44 special “Skeeter Skelton” load of 7.5 gr unique with 250 gr cast bullets.

IMG_0303.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Installed tinted windows on bride's
    20240811_191552.jpg
    20240811_191605.jpg
    shooting house. Still have to do trim outside. Checked the steps. Floor and roof.
    Had a pile of mahogany wasps in there. Also spray foamed all the cracks. Trying to keep critters and bugs out. Buggy is a huge help when working. Brought the RARR X39 along for pests. Getting ready to battle the zombie deer!

Daezee

Master
    Today was beginning test of large rifle primer “seconds”. But first I need some empty brass…what better way than shooting? Took my Savage 303 Enfield No 4 Mk 1* to the neighbor’s range. Just had fun shooting at a steel plate and 35 shots later had my brass.

Primed 4 pieces with seconds primers and popped them with the Savage. No failures and the hits were deeper than with CCI 200’s. Note: no powder charge with the seconds and the 200’s were in moderate velocity cast bullet loads with 7383 50 cal spotter-tracer powder, so that could make a difference in fired appearance regarding flatness of the fired primers.

Next step load all 35 empties using seconds. I expect no problems at least with that rifle. Heck, at this point I’m thinking’ of getting some large pistol seconds, but will my luck run out?

CCI 200 on left three. Seconds on right three.

IMG_0304.jpeg

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    started a .308 loading project for a friend and needed 5 more LC match cases. While I was looking for those I found 3 more 50 cans of .45ACP brass I need to size and clean… that should make another 5gal bucket.. that should I’ll up another 20mm can

Last edited:
    Top Bottom