• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Im more concerned that this range I joined... has a full bar in the main building. I was always told the 2 don't mix, but I guess Wisconsin has a reputation to live up to.

Blaster pics coming up!
    IMG_8576.JPG

The 19 in question ^^^

The 12.5 build I'm in the middle of has been a bit more confusing. Plenty of mistakes so far.
    Apparently a Dual lock mount and the tapered mount - while looking the same, are very different. Handguard issues on a BCM with a Blast shield. The quality of said blast shield is suspicious to me. (Got it from Midway- new in package from MFG so maybe my expectations are too high)

Iv been having a great time. lol

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    I'm trying out a Dagger ECC slide on my G19 and added a Vortex Viper Red dot.
    Have the OEM w barrel for backup.
    Also, btw, I think the new classifieds ads format sucks lol.
    1000011433.jpg

Last edited:

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman

Recondo 101

Expert
    Learned an interesting thng about Remington Marlins. At the end of production just before Remington went broke, they were apparently just putting guns out the door, so the 336 in 30-30 I got in had empty holes in the top of the action and the holes were Not threaded inch but threaded metric. That would indicate that the really late Marlin 336 actions may have been finished by a European maker for Remington. Guy said, he had a problem, he could not find a screw that fit his Marlin action and scope base that he bought, so I told him, they are 6-48 and hardware stores do not carry the 6-48 screws, nope. The holes in this 336 were in fact Metric, like 4mm. so told him, I have marlins and all have inch threads and all are 6-48 can not believe Marlin made guns with metric scope base mounting thread holes. But there it was big as life, a late, late Remingtom/Marlin.

Should have disassembled it then drilled and tapped for regular #8 base screws and holes, but it went out as it came in with metric screw holes and now metric screws.

I guess it is similar to the late Remington 1911 guns having metric dovetail cuts, and if you want to put US sights on a Rem 1911 new production, pre bust, you need to recut the dovetail slots front and rear to a US inch cut.

Daezee

Master
    Success. Goal was to find a cast bullet load for my M1898 Krag using AA2200 powder to reduce my usage of Alliant 2400. First was the 20gr 2200 load my Krag carbine likes. So-so, would hit a soda can, but smaller is better. Started at 19gr and went up. At 20.5gr a winner. Here’s a few groups. Most were like the 19.5 one, but 20 was bigger (shot 3 groups with it and all were the same), then came the winning 20.5gr. Bonus: same sight setting as my Alliant 2400 grouping.

IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Taking apart an old Winchester Model 190 .22 Rifle I got for my 15th Birthday.
    Well used and needed a really thorough cleaning and I wanted to fix the loose forearm.
    Which I discovered after some research is caused by a loose barrel nut.

Sure enough, got it apart and the barrel nut was so loose I could unscrew it with my thumb and forefinger.
    Finally got the .22 back together, forearm fits nice and tight now.

Last edited:

Recondo 101

Expert
    Put another coat of the sanded in Pro Custom Oil on the English Walnut model 96 stock.for the 358 Win conversion project. The sanded in oil finish is slow, but it is a lasting and easy to repair finish..

OK, This is what the 10th coat looks like, English has large pores and openings in the grain, so it takes a bit of sanding paste to get them even near filled. Usually I apply 20 or more coats to get a polished stone look, but in this case, the intent is to have a general use satin oil finish on this stock. Remember, this is an intended 358 Win cast bullet rifle, not a show piece.
    Pro Custom Oil comes as a liquid or a spray so what I had in mind from the time I saw the white spacers was to fill the surface and let it dry for about 10 days then put a satin Pro Custom oil spray finish over the sanded in finish, same oil just the spray version, which makes a smoother finish. However, it does show any blemish or hole not filled. The good and bad sides of adding the spray. But I can touch up the white spacer areas, then spray over the touch up with India ink and it will stay put. The actual primary reason for adding the spray.

IMG_0740.jpeg

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    I like having shooting goals as long as they are doable. Today was two trips to the range to finish up a BE-86 load to duplicate or do better than my standard 44 special load of 250gr cast bullet with 7.5gr Unique. In this case the accuracy was better with no need to change sight setting.

Not much data on BE-86 powder. Burn rate charts show it a touch slower than Unique. Reports from individuals said start with Unique data and work up. Somewhere between 0.1 and 0.5 gr more than Unique usually works in handguns. At 7.6gr it did it. It seemed to give a little more smoke, but burnt cleaner with no flakes left in or on gun and brass than Unique. It gave same amount of total recoil, yet felt softer, not as quick. Should meter well, as physically it looks like Bullseye.

Here’s a couple of 6 shot groups. I’m happy.

IMG_0314.jpeg

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Here are some pictures.

Firing pin was frozen, some Kroil, patience and light taps with a punch.
    Been working on old stuck Buffington rear sight, finally got it freed up, still stiff.
    May hands a hurting from working on that thing.

Started cleaning a .17 HMR I aquired as well as my fathers .22 rifle. Its the first gun I fired, I was 6 years old.
    Its a old Winchester Model 72 - 22 Short _Long_Long rifle. Not sure what year it was made, its in decent shape for it age.

Took some time to straighten up, and sweep and vacuum the shop today, it was getting pretty messy.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Picked up a practically new 550C

I sent my 30 plus year old RL-550B back to Dillion this summer for a service and rebuild.
    Came back looking practically brand new. Need to get it mounted on the new bench and start reloading again.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    mine has been dormant for a minute. I picked this one up for a buddy...going to surprise him with it tomorrow. He has about 4 1050s so this will be something a little different.

Recondo 101

Expert
    AC central unit in my shop quit again, The Daikin units are for great. This one actually worked for all of 18 months then totally quit, the first time, refused to warranty the unit or the install. That was the end of the compressor and the contractor both, It kept running out of coolant, every year. So this time I had it checked stem to stern and turns out the line under the slab has a leak in it. Luckily there is a 4" drain pipe conduit, so should not be a big deal to replace. The guy that came out did not have a coil of the right size copper line with him, so we wait in line, again, another benifit of living in the woods, not much is today, most is tomorrow maybe.

So now I can go in, open everything, in the morning, and maybe get two hours time in, before I need to close up and get out.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    We added the Area 419 items to my new CZ 457 MTR and the replacement scope.
    I watched while my buddy tuned the factory trigger to use while we are waiting on the Timney and more ammo to arrive.

Tried a bunch of junk ammo (wink...wink) trying to break the barrel in a little. So far the only thing I have found that won't shoot in the same hole is some old R-50 with nickle cases that manage to stay in the 10 ring but not the same hole. Ammo tried...CCI, FGMM HV, S-K, Lapua, Eley and RWS. Probably shot close to 200 rounds. The last rounds on the USBR target were with the old Tenex I have...the groups spilled over from the sighters to the first two on the first row...the next 23 targets scored 229-14X....

I can't wait until this baby tightens up

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    What optic is that?
    Griffin Armament Red Dot. MSRP is $200 with the mount from their site... Labor Day sale has them at 150 right now.
    The MAWL isn't legit.
    Irons are Troy.

Im trying to give Griffin some time to respond on a few different inquiries I made.
    Products have been good so far and but the customer service has been abysmal.

Top Bottom