• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Saturday with the Tenex I have on hand that runs 1120fps it did really good. 229 out of 230 points with 14Xs. The Tenex/Match from machine 4 running 1053 (advertised)-1056fps seem to do the best. That ammo should be here before next weekend to shoot before the next match. I'll try to remember to take a target picture after shooting next time.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Confirmed zeros on two rifles this am, a Rem 700 youth and a Ruger 77, both in the fantastic ,243 Win. Both have put a good bit of meat in the freezer over the years.

The 700 youth is a great tree stand rifle being nice and compact. It was my son's first rifle, and he's stack up quite a few bucks with it. The first year I allowed him to hunt on his own he was 11 years old. He killed two bucks one evening and another to following am, all from the same stand.

Over the past fifteen years or so I've hunted mostly with an AR15, this year, I feel a little nostalgic and broke out the bolt guns. Not parking the AR's for the entire season, but I'll tote one of the ,234's on opening week.

My son is grown and "gone" now but at least with the 700 youth I feel a connection in the stand.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I have one of those 700 ADL youth .243s I got for when the Grands went with me...they don't go...maybe I will load some up and take it once this year.

Today was Gat Day
    IMG_2359.jpg

top row
    S&W 41 - Springfield Champion .45ACP
    RIA .45ACP - Springfield RO 9mm
    P80 Build 9mm - SA XDm 9mm

There were a bunch more on the table I tried out. I'm not sure if the side of my finger is sore from the .22s the 2 days before or that nasty arthritic first joint trigger pull I have.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I have one of those 700 ADL youth .243s I got for when the Grands went with me...they don't go...maybe I will load some up and take it once this year.

Today was Gat Day
    View attachment 502028

top row
    S&W 41 - Springfield Champion .45ACP
    RIA .45ACP - Springfield RO 9mm
    P80 Build 9mm - SA XDm 9mm

There were a bunch more on the table I tried out. I'm not sure if the side of my finger is sore from the .22s the 2 days before or that nasty arthritic first joint trigger pull I have.
    Looks like fun. That RIA is a fancy one. I have an old RIA GI model they made, fantastic shooter. One of my keep forever guns, just feels right in hand. I added the bushing comp for fun.

20220122_110100.jpg

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Looks like fun. That RIA is a fancy one. I have an old RIA GI model they made, fantastic shooter. One of my keep forever guns, just feels right in hand. I added the bushing comp for fun.

View attachment 502063
    2 guns I regret letting go - my RIA 45 and an older Norinco 45.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    All of mine have Novak rears...and 1 with Bomar... most of them need a different front sight at this point in my life. I bought the RIA to try my hand at front strap checkering. Bought the files and borrowed my buddy's jig but never did it. Was going to do it 20 LPI to match the SA Mag Well I put on it...this one is a very good shooter too.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    All of mine have Novak rears...and 1 with Bomar... most of them need a different front sight at this point in my life. I bought the RIA to try my hand at front strap checkering. Bought the files and borrowed my buddy's jig but never did it. Was going to do it 20 LPI to match the SA Mag Well I put on it...this one is a very good shooter too.
    I had to polish the feed ramp and some on the rails, after that it eats everything. I keep it ready in the house for any oh crap, moments. I love the 45 due to the fact it dosent make my ears ring for 20 mins after if I need to use it. Unlike every other caliber pistol I own. YMMV.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    discharging a firearm inside without HP is a strong life experience

the RIA now has skateboard tape on the front strap...BTW

Daezee

Master
    Not long ago I posted about a real Krag carbine I got that had been in a family since 1920 when it was bought at a government auction in Connecticut. It was all correct except for the front sight blade replaced by a bead sight for hunting. A real Krag carbine front sight blade is made of unobtainium, having been replaced and lost 90-100 years ago by owners wanting a hunting firearm. I thought I’d replace it with a Krag rifle front sight blade and file it down to carbine height, but of course it wouldn’t be carbine marked.

Every few days I’d do a hopeless search for a real carbine sight blade. Last week the clouds parted and I heard music playing, coming from I don’t know where…there was one on EBay. Not wanting to jinx anything, I told no one and determined to win it. I won it this evening!

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    I never believed I would hear myself say this...I'm tired of shooting rifles...500+ single feed rounds down the tube in 2 days.

Gats up tomorrow
    In another life,a friend and I would venture up to Montana for a week to shoot prairie dogs.
    Each of us would go thru about 2k in 6 days, never tired of it, sure wish we could go again.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    In another life,a friend and I would venture up to Montana for a week to shoot prairie dogs.
    Each of us would go thru about 2k in 6 days, never tired of it, sure wish we could go again.
    you probably fed those from a mag....those little greasy .22s slid into the chamber through that tight little hole under the picatinny and then close the bolt on it will wear out a fat arthritic finger

ABlaster

Marksman
    I went to the range and started putting in the milage on my new red-dot pistol. I'm a complete red-dot noob and I felt like an idiot. After shooting irons very successfully for the last 35 years or so it's a bit of an adjustment.

The biggest adjustment is really just changing my presentation from the holster or from low ready. The wrist angle is slightly different from irons on the same gun.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I went to the range and started putting in the milage on my new red-dot pistol. I'm a complete red-dot noob and I felt like an idiot. After shooting irons very successfully for the last 35 years or so it's a bit of an adjustment.

The biggest adjustment is really just changing my presentation from the holster or from low ready. The wrist angle is slightly different from irons on the same gun.
    Yep. Put it on a .22...

Also check out the holosun ACSS VULCAN.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    you probably fed those from a mag....those little greasy .22s slid into the chamber through that tight little hole under the picatinny and then close the bolt on it will wear out a fat arthritic finger
    Nope, fed a single round at a time. Open a box of twenty, place it on the bench and single feed them. We would shoot from 8-8:30 in the morning till 8:30 - 9 at night. Of course, once we shot out a town, we pack up and move to the next location. So it wasn't all shooting.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Here are some pictures.

Firing pin was frozen, some Kroil, patience and light taps with a punch.
    Took the breach block completely apart and soaked for a week or so.
    Got it cleaned up and reassembled today, looks pretty good and firing pin if free, think it will work ok.
    Ordered a extract spring, they one that came out had a couple broken coils at the back.
    Ordered a front sight screw, for the Buffington sire. You have to hunt but you can find old parts for these.

Top Bottom