• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    I stand by my statement and my antique lever actions I'll take care of them and they'll take care of me. While I have just as many automatics and bolt actions and pump-action there's little justification for your criticism of the age proven lever action. If I'm sitting in a deer stand I have my Sako bolt-action 243 why simply because that's what I want. If I'm walking fences I'm carrying trapper model Winchester 94 30-30 simply because that works good walking fences. If I'm just patrolling the property I'm carrying a Beretta CX4 9 mm simply because I feel it's enough Firepower and it carries nice. All Firearms have a place maybe not in your house but somebody else's. I don't think we should criticize a certain platform simply because we don't understand it or appreciate it. I don't particularly like the AR platform but I would never criticize it I don't like a Glock pistol but that's my personal preference I would never criticize it. I hope no one takes offense at my writings it's not meant that away I just feel there's a lot of undue criticism in these forms there are a lot of people that come here for information we should not hinder them with our unfactual criticism...JM2C... just my two cents
    Any room for universally accepted constructive criticism against certain well known POS weapons? Example: "friends don't let friends buy Hipoint".

M118LR

Master
    I stand by my statement and my antique lever actions I'll take care of them and they'll take care of me. While I have just as many automatics and bolt actions and pump-action there's little justification for your criticism of the age proven lever action. If I'm sitting in a deer stand I have my Sako bolt-action 243 why simply because that's what I want. If I'm walking fences I'm carrying trapper model Winchester 94 30-30 simply because that works good walking fences. If I'm just patrolling the property I'm carrying a Beretta CX4 9 mm simply because I feel it's enough Firepower and it carries nice. All Firearms have a place maybe not in your house but somebody else's. I don't think we should criticize a certain platform simply because we don't understand it or appreciate it. I don't particularly like the AR platform but I would never criticize it I don't like a Glock pistol but that's my personal preference I would never criticize it. I hope no one takes offense at my writings it's not meant that away I just feel there's a lot of undue criticism in these forms there are a lot of people that come here for information we should not hinder them with our unfactual criticism...JM2C... just my two cents
    Neither should we mollycoddle them and lead them into the false belief that firearms of years gone bye have not been improved upon with todays current offerings. Now the Cowboy Competitions have revitalized sales of Lever Actions in Pistol Cartridges, but would that be money well spent if it was to be someone's only hunting rifle?

Ron

Expert
    Neither should we mollycoddle them and lead them into the false belief that firearms of years gone bye have not been improved upon with todays current offerings. Now the Cowboy Competitions have revitalized sales of Lever Actions in Pistol Cartridges, but would that be money well spent if it was to be someone's only hunting rifle?
    This rifle may not be an interesting gun to most folks but it happens to be one of my favorites. Henry 44 mag. It has served many purposes for me. Besides a plinker at the 100 yard range, I once shot a running buck flying out of the palmetto bushes at about 25 yards off hand in the blink of an eye on my last hunting trip. It points very natural for me and has a great feel to it. I consider it money well spent! If you don't think this rifle is popular, try finding one at a decent price!

Attachments

• 20190614_115936.jpg
      20190614_115936.jpg
      5.3 MB · Views: 50

BowChamp

Expert
    I've made my pick.....Lever Action Rifle for the CONUS would be............

Browning BLR chambered in 358 Win. :cool:

J pace

Marksman
    Have you fired a 357 Magnum or for that matter a 9 mm form a 16 in rifle barrel. Is it my first choice no but it should not be dismissed. Would I own a Hi-Point Firearms probably not but they should not be dismissed. I have fired a few of them and everyone I shot went bang every time I pull the trigger they are accurate what more can you ask. An open conversation let's give our opinions but don't State your opinion as fact.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    i would be inclined to a .35 whelen , but in the end, the gun that makes you the happiest and most confident, is the one to beat...which for many is the trusted 30-30

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Suppressor?
    Scope on a lever action? How do you maintain a proper cheek weld?
    How about a Tang Mount or Williams Peep?

Stainless steel & weather resistant furniture, I can buy that.
    Cheek weld is just fine on my JM stamped Marlin 336. I've been accurate with multiple GN bullets to 150 all day long with both the scope and irons utilizing the see through rings. Lots of shots over 100 for my blind ass when I'm stalking so it's nice to be able to see what I'm shooting with the scope instead of guessing with the irons. I only keep a range finder on me when I'm stalking and no binocs.

Attachments

• 20211117_220520.jpg
      20211117_220520.jpg
      2.7 MB · Views: 54

Raven

Master
    Have you fired a 357 Magnum or for that matter a 9 mm form a 16 in rifle barrel. Is it my first choice no but it should not be dismissed. Would I own a Hi-Point Firearms probably not but they should not be dismissed. I have fired a few of them and everyone I shot went bang every time I pull the trigger they are accurate what more can you ask. An open conversation let's give our opinions but don't State your opinion as fact.
    I'll admit I've owned a couple Hipoint pistols. The whole fixed barrel design is a die-hard dependable and accurate design, a Russian Makarov design and widely issued all across Europe. I was intrigued by the possibility of a 45ACP caliber Makarov design... and thoroughly unimpressed by the cast slides and cheap grade polymer frames and horrible ergonomics. But yes, they work.

Raven

Master
    I like that saying "dance with the girl you brought". Now ain't that the truth of it?! If you know your weapon, whatever make or model it is, almost any shortcomings can be overcome

M118LR

Master
    So talking strictly facts in search of the "Perfect Lever Action".

The 30-30 is an exceptionally mild recoiling rifle round that should with proper placement allow near 200 yard performance on Non-dangerous game less than 300 lbs.

Lever actions chambered for pistol cartridges shall have a hard time duplicating even 30-30 rifle Ballistics @ 200 yards. Now while most will be able to more accurately shoot a shoulder fired rifle than a handheld pistol, the extra velocity offered from the longer barrel length of a lever action doesn't improve pistol cartridge ballistics to the level of the 30-30. Is there a place for Pistol Cartridge Lever Actions? Yes, but in the quest for the "Perfect Lever Action" even the 30-30 has the ballistic ability to outperform them. Am I saying that you shouldn't purchase a pistol cartridge lever action? NO! Those that have a use or desire for one should purchase one or more if desired. But in the quest for the "Perfect Lever Action" the ballistic performance of pistol cartridges vs rifle cartridges comes up short.

SAWMAN

Master
    Obviously you are assuming that for the most part,owners of a 30-30Win constantly shoot game at 200yds .... RIGHT ???
    Your googleing of "facts" are getting in the way of your common sense. (and hopefully expierance). ---- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    I'm just not completely sold on oddball big bore chamberings, or a 30-30... real life hunting situations these are 150yd rifles at best....
    Browning BLR chambered in .308win... change my mind.

(My opinion may be flawed because I'm currently watching a bean field in central Kentucky.)
    0a1e3810bce54a29145299992bf520f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    You got the 308 part right,but the lever gun part wrong.
    Typically not as accurate as a bolt gun. --- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Obviously you are assuming that for the most part,owners of a 30-30Win constantly shoot game at 200yds .... RIGHT ???
    Your googleing of "facts" are getting in the way of your common sense. (and hopefully expierance). ---- SAWMAN
    Don't assume that since a cartridge has the ballistic ability you must use it! But if the cartridge does NOT have the ballistic ability you shouldn't ever take that shot. The 30-30 performs as well if not better than the pistol cartridges at close range.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I'm just not completely sold on oddball big bore chamberings, or a 30-30... real life hunting situations these are 150yd rifles at best....
    Browning BLR chambered in .308win... change my mind.

(My opinion may be flawed because I'm currently watching a bean field in central Kentucky.)
    0a1e3810bce54a29145299992bf520f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    I miss hunting up North

Fear21

Master
    Yup, once we get into common calibers like .308 I'd rather pack a bolt gun.

IMO, part of the fun of lever guns is the unique range of cartridges available. Something about the old big bore levers just speaks to me.

M118LR

Master
    Last I remember most BLR's can easily hold 1MOA @ 300 Yards. While it's not Heavy Bull Barrel Bolt Action Accuracy, it should qualify for deer @ 300 Yards.

M118LR

Master
    Yup, once we get into common calibers like .308 I'd rather pack a bolt gun.

IMO, part of the fun of lever guns is the unique range of cartridges available. Something about the old big bore levers just speaks to me.
    As long as your willing to stay within 150 yards most of the Big Bores should take down even 300+ game. But shooting 100 rounds at the range in a day might not be as fun?

Reactions: Ron
    Top Bottom