• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    A suppressed bolt or lever gun is soooo much more enjoyable and fun.

If a rail, it doesn't necessarily have to be a scope. Could be a red dot. I know, sacreligious. The irons-friendly rail is more for the option of an optic. Tang or peeps are nice...

Here's a current offering from Henry. Checks all boxes except stainless:

Is there a reason why it's only offered in pistol calibers?
    I regularly shoot Hunters Pistol offhand with scaled down rams at 100 yards, with the exception of weighing over twice what a revolver weighs, why should I pack over twice the weight to get the same relative performance?

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Is there a reason why it's only offered in pistol calibers?
    I regularly shoot Hunters Pistol offhand with scaled down rams at 100 yards, with the exception of weighing over twice what a revolver weighs, why should I pack over twice the weight to get the same relative performance?

There's a 45-70 version, too:

M118LR

Master
    There's a 45-70 version, too:

Did I miss the Stainless Steel Version?????????
    Or should I stick to the Marlin 1895 SBL???????

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Dance with the girl you brought.
    ‘49 model 94 in 30-30.
    you won’t catch my arse north of Atlanta or west of New Orleans, so no worries of sleet or big bore. The speed six has since been replaced with a smith victory because I don’t bother with 357.

Attachments

• C27139F1-A952-41C2-86F9-F52BAEA6A0C9.jpeg
      C27139F1-A952-41C2-86F9-F52BAEA6A0C9.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 61

SAWMAN

Master
    * 92 action
    * Normal size lever ring/loop
    * pistol chambering
    * can be loaded OR unloaded from the end of the mag tube OR the slot (loading port) in the mag tube. ( I absolutely hate lever guns loading gates.)
    More manufacturers should follow the design of the LSI/Rossi guns. (Or nowadays .... some Henry's) --- SAWMAN

Raven

Master
    The perfect lever gun (to me) is the Winchester 1886, and by extension (since they're pretty much the same design) the 1892. Bombproof actions chambered in serious business rounds, designed by JMB himself. Can't beat em.

Wouldn't worry much about the open top - the Russians loved their 1895s and they got down n dirty in the trenches with them.
    My favorite is the 1895. They come chambered in 7.62x54R FMJ and 3006 FMJ

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    One who has a tag to fill. It got so bad that I had to remove my outermost layer (Coat) to get down from the stand. It actually froze to the bark of the tree I was resting my back upon while up in the stand.
    Nothing would have functioned in that without having some sort of cover to protect it. Operator error.

BowChamp

Expert
    Used a close friends Model 71 Win Lever in .348 Win, wonderful Classic. Sold his Son my .444 Marlin Williams Peep Sight Equipped Lever Action at rock bottom price when I got orders out of Maine. The spouse purchased a Marlin Texas Special 30-30 18 inch barrel at K-Mart in Indiana (she worked there at the time) which is currently the only lever action remaining in my possession. Some firearms must be kept to keep peace in the family! ( Wink,wink,nod,nod.) When my eyes went bad I couldn't commit the sacrilege of debasing the classic lever action with glass. (So I scoped a Mini-30 to perform those close quarter deep woods operations.) A BLR with a Williams Peep zeroed at 200 yards with a Nosler Partition in .308 Win should work for anything in CONUS. JMHO.

I've killed a lot of critters with the Nosler Partition bullet. I is very high on my list of Excellence.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Detachable box magazine might be a good add to the list. Would allow greater selection of projectiles, since no longer worried about bullet tips on primers.
    Hmmm...

M118LR

Master
    Nothing would have functioned in that without having some sort of cover to protect it. Operator error.
    The .444 Marlin still functioned, but both the Model 70 (.348) and Model 94 (.30-30) used by others that day froze over and wouldn't cycle. Perhaps it was a more cold tolerant lube? But not having an ice cycle inside the locking/unlocking mechanism did seem to matter. But the operator can also make a difference. The .444 having a cross bolt safety, vice the half cock, I didn't feel the need to climb into the stand on an empty chamber like my fellow hunters. So when the time came all I needed was to switch off the bolt safety and fire. The others needed to cycle a round into the empty chamber prior to firing, and that wasn't happening. Would a cover over the open top 94 & 70 have prevented it. When rain turns to sleet and them ice it's hard to say where water will freeze, but a cover could have helped.

Raven

Master
    The .444 Marlin still functioned, but both the Model 70 (.348) and Model 94 (.30-30) used by others that day froze over and wouldn't cycle. Perhaps it was a more cold tolerant lube? But not having an ice cycle inside the locking/unlocking mechanism did seem to matter. But the operator can also make a difference. The .444 having a cross bolt safety, vice the half cock, I didn't feel the need to climb into the stand on an empty chamber like my fellow hunters. So when the time came all I needed was to switch off the bolt safety and fire. The others needed to cycle a round into the empty chamber prior to firing, and that wasn't happening. Would a cover over the open top 94 & 70 have prevented it. When rain turns to sleet and them ice it's hard to say where water will freeze, but a cover could have helped.
    If you're going to be in the trenches then wear a trench coat. Throw a flap over it and it's protected from the elements and your body heat will warm it. That's what I mean by covering it somehow. I'd a had a parka or poncho or something. Build a roof on that tree stand. The heck I'd just sit there. You did get something good out of it... a lesson learned.

BowChamp

Expert
    This is how good lessons are learned.......In the field!!

J pace

Marksman
    Well I understand that this is all just a good conversation but I can testify to the quality and durability of most of the guns mention here as I own several as pictured. Any of these Firearms will function in any environment as long as they are treated with respect. One thing to consider the model 81 Browning and the Sako finnwolf are the only lever actions in the group that are cam operated. This may, am I did say May help in extreme condition as it adds extra Force to the lever action. But I think if you took a poll of the old Eskimo Hunters you would find that the majority of them carry the Savage 99. While Trappers of the northwest loved the Trapper model Winchester's But there again you treat your Firearms with much more respect when you know your life depends upon it

Attachments

• 20211117_182225.jpg
      20211117_182225.jpg
      3.3 MB · Views: 65

M118LR

Master
    Well I understand that this is all just a good conversation but I can testify to the quality and durability of most of the guns mention here as I own several as pictured. Any of these Firearms will function in any environment as long as they are treated with respect. One thing to consider the model 81 Browning and the Sako finnwolf are the only lever actions in the group that are cam operated. This may, am I did say May help in extreme condition as it adds extra Force to the lever action. But I think if you took a poll of the old Eskimo Hunters you would find that the majority of them carry the Savage 99. While Trappers of the northwest loved the Trapper model Winchester's But there again you treat your Firearms with much more respect when you know your life depends upon it
    There just might be a reason that bolt actions have become the prevailing firearm in the most inhospitable of hunting areas.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International_Arctic_Warfare

Since current legislation has made the Single Caliber pistol/rifle combo less important than it was 200 years ago. Not to mention that the supply chain has gotten to the point of walking distance to resupply, it's no wonder that Lever Action sales have slumped. But if all you got is the Lever Action in your hands, perhaps it's worthwhile to take advantage of the current improvements in metallurgy, weatherproof synthetics, and current ammunition/caliber concepts?

J pace

Marksman
    I stand by my statement and my antique lever actions I'll take care of them and they'll take care of me. While I have just as many automatics and bolt actions and pump-action there's little justification for your criticism of the age proven lever action. If I'm sitting in a deer stand I have my Sako bolt-action 243 why simply because that's what I want. If I'm walking fences I'm carrying trapper model Winchester 94 30-30 simply because that works good walking fences. If I'm just patrolling the property I'm carrying a Beretta CX4 9 mm simply because I feel it's enough Firepower and it carries nice. All Firearms have a place maybe not in your house but somebody else's. I don't think we should criticize a certain platform simply because we don't understand it or appreciate it. I don't particularly like the AR platform but I would never criticize it I don't like a Glock pistol but that's my personal preference I would never criticize it. I hope no one takes offense at my writings it's not meant that away I just feel there's a lot of undue criticism in these forms there are a lot of people that come here for information we should not hinder them with our unfactual criticism...JM2C... just my two cents

Top Bottom