• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joraca

Expert
    Wife's lever is a stainless Rossi 30-30 with buckhorn sights. Grown daughter's lever is a brass-receiver Henry .357 with buckhorn sights. It's funner to shoot IMO, and cheaper. I've offered to replace their back sights with peeps, and file off that front bead. No takers. They are both basically 150 yd deer guns. Little less with the .357 (shooting 180s), little more with the 30-30 (shooting 170s). Ain't nothing perfect.

BowChamp

Expert
    So is it the 30-30, a pistol cartridge, or a Big Bore Chambering that we are looking for in the perfect lever action?

What about those Mag Feed Browning Levers?
    Tube fed, I'd go big bore...444 Marlin, 450 Marlin or 45/70...That would let you shoot just about anything you wanted.

The Savage 99 and Browning Lever Action would bring a different level of choices......308 Win class of cartridge.

I have a Marlin 336C and 336T, both in 30/30 Win.

A Marlin 1894 in 44 mag.

Also have a Savage 99 in 300 Savage.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Tube fed, I'd go big bore...444 Marlin, 450 Marlin or 45/70...That would let you shoot just about anything you wanted.

The Savage 99 and Browning Lever Action would bring a different level of choices......308 Win class of cartridge.

Well, the savage is also open top like the win94 etc. Love me some Savage 99 like Charlie Bronson used in "Death Hunt".

Got to admit that tube fed, I've got a soft spot for the .444 Marlin. Yet Hornady dropped thier 265 Grain projectile so it's fallen upon hard times like the .348 Win. JMHO.

So is it time to declare if the perfect lever action is tube fed or has a removable mag?

BowChamp

Expert
    Well, the savage is also open top like the win94 etc. Love me some Savage 99 like Charlie Bronson used in "Death Hunt".

So is it time to declare if the perfect lever action is tube feed or has a removable mag?
    The proven history and nostalgia of a tube fed rifle or......

The advantages brought to the table with a box magazine....

That should stir up a good discussion!!! LOL!!!

M118LR

Master
    The proven history and nostalgia of a tube fed rifle or......

The advantages brought to the table with a box magazine....

That should stir up a good discussion!!! LOL!!!
    I've never been known to be shy or thin skinned. LOL!

BowChamp

Expert

A Marlin 1894 in 44 mag.

Well dang...I edited my post to add the 1894 and just remembered I also have a....

Marlin 39A in 22 long rifle.

M118LR

Master
    Well dang...I edited my post to add the 1894 and just remembered I also have a....

Marlin 39A in 22 long rifle.
    The .22lr should be a companion/training firearm that matches the feel and action of any firearm one owns as long as the manual of arms matches. JMHO.

Babalu

Shooter
    Tube fed works for me, load it up, walk across the street and I’m in the woods. If I need more than 5 shots, I guess I would go to a scope. As far as big bore, I don’t think so, but the 30-30 has taken its fair share of animals. Works for me. I did get the matching .44 magnum in case Florida goes to a straight case. Most my shots are inside 100 yards. Yep also a Henry, but the .44 has the side loader also.

M118LR

Master
    Tube fed works for me, load it up, walk across the street and I’m in the woods. If I need more than 5 shots, I guess I would go to a scope. As far as big bore, I don’t think so, but the 30-30 has taken its fair share of animals. Works for me. I did get the matching .44 magnum in case Florida goes to a straight case. Most my shots are inside 100 yards. Yep also a Henry, but the .44 has the side loader also.

If it works it ain't a wrong answer. But what happens if you get a once and a lifetime chance to hunt the Yukon? Is it still the "Perfect Lever Action"?

BowChamp

Expert
    The .22lr should be a companion/training firearm that matches the feel and action of any firearm one owns as long as the manual of arms matches. JMHO.
    So your saying it wouldn't make the BIG BORE list. LOL!!! :D

The 35 Rem, 307 Win and 356 Win would be good choices for the tube feed varieties.

Babalu

Shooter
    If it works it ain't a wrong answer. But what happens if you get a once and a lifetime chance to hunt the Yukon? Is it still the "Perfect Lever Action"?
    I don’t have to worry about it. I’m afraid to fly. I would buy the 45-70, matching of course. I have the .22 as well. Something about the lever actions, I just have a sweet spot for them.

M118LR

Master
    So your saying it wouldn't make the BIG BORE list. LOL!!! :D

The 35 Rem, 307 Win and 356 Win would be good choices for the tube feed varieties.
    Once upon a time I could use iron/open sights at 1200 yards. (perhaps not as well as Hummerville) Today isn't that day! So for all practical purposes 150 yards is far enough. Most of the Big Bores have the ability to drop any American Game Animal inside of 150 yards with a vital zone hit.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    VL-63 Sako Finn Wolf is the smoothest lever action I have ever laid hands on period…

MarkS

Master
    Like my JM stamped Marlin 336 and my Glenfield 30A also JM stamped but they’re both 30/30 Win.
    Great for where I hunt when I hunt but not being physically able to walk very far limits my hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowChamp

Expert
    Once again, like the savage 99 open top.
    The open top...top ejection is the reason I never bought a winchester.

I once had a chance to buy a Browning BLR chambered in 7mm/08 and like a fool...let it get away. :(

M118LR

Master
    The open top...top ejection is the reason I never bought a winchester.

I once had a chance to buy a Browning BLR chambered in 7mm/08 and like a fool...let it get away. :(
    Used a close friends Model 71 Win Lever in .348 Win, wonderful Classic. Sold his Son my .444 Marlin Williams Peep Sight Equipped Lever Action at rock bottom price when I got orders out of Maine. The spouse purchased a Marlin Texas Special 30-30 18 inch barrel at K-Mart in Indiana (she worked there at the time) which is currently the only lever action remaining in my possession. Some firearms must be kept to keep peace in the family! ( Wink,wink,nod,nod.) When my eyes went bad I couldn't commit the sacrilege of debasing the classic lever action with glass. (So I scoped a Mini-30 to perform those close quarter deep woods operations.) A BLR with a Williams Peep zeroed at 200 yards with a Nosler Partition in .308 Win should work for anything in CONUS. JMHO.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Once again, like the savage 99 open top.
    No sir! The finnwolf is a side eject like a browning… matter of fact it is the most accurate lever gun you will ever shoot…

M118LR

Master
    No sir! The finnwolf is a side eject like a browning… matter of fact it is the most accurate lever gun you will ever shoot…

Looks allot like the port is exposed just like the Savage 99 if you ask me. Compare that to the side ejection of the Henry, BLR, or Marlin?

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Suppressor?
    Scope on a lever action? How do you maintain a proper cheek weld?
    How about a Tang Mount or Williams Peep?

Stainless steel & weather resistant furniture, I can buy that.

A suppressed bolt or lever gun is soooo much more enjoyable and fun.

If a rail, it doesn't necessarily have to be a scope. Could be a red dot. I know, sacreligious. The irons-friendly rail is more for the option of an optic. Tang or peeps are nice...

Here's a current offering from Henry. Checks all boxes except stainless:

Top Bottom