GOA suing FL over Open Carry Ban & Under-21 Carry Ban.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gnappi

Expert
    Sad to see a gun rights org going after a state that was a pioneer of civilian carry rights. Why not spend time and effort on states that have draconian anti 2A laws?

My mom always said, "Pick your battles wisely"

This ain't one.

Last edited:

blair_heavenwood

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Sad to see a gun rights org going after a state that was a pioneer of civilian carry rights. Why not spend time and effort on states that have draconian anti 2A laws?

This ain't one.
    I guess we should just shut up and be grateful for the "rights" they let us have?? Nah. You attack where you can make advances. Bashing our heads (and dollars) against the wall in California or New York is not where I want these organizations spending my money.

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place

This ain't one.
    imho florida IS the one simply because i should be [relatively] easier than the last 3 hold outs . They could just put it on an election ballot too

blair_heavenwood

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Like I said pick your battles wisely, Florida is not IMO a place for gun rights organizations to go after.
    Why? Will FL retaliate? The FL government is not your family. It's not your friend. No government is. Are you worried about hurting its feelings? Governments exist to secure our rights and are subservient to the Natural Law, the Constitution, and our will.

Regardless of all that, the notion of picking one's battles is about risk vs. rewards. This issue would present low risk (friendly courts) and high rewards (more freedom). Please explain why fighting for our rights here where we live is a bad idea.

gnappi

Expert
    No, suing a reasonably 2A friendly state wastes resources I'd rather see spent on states that have much worse issues to deal with.

Reciprocity, mandated fast approval of gun buys, CCW allowed, mag capacity and AR type rifle restrictions gone.

Open carry to a 2A friendly state is MORE important? Focusing on the wrong issues is my point.

gnappi

Expert
    So you're OK with not having the right to bear arms in Florida?
    Not the issue it's peeps who focus on ONE issue that's better served elsewhere. I carry and have done for a long time, I no longer need a "license" but maintain it, I'd say I HAVE THE RIGHT.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    … I carry and have done for a long time, I no longer need a "license" but maintain it, I'd say I HAVE THE RIGHT.

You could say that, and you’d be wrong, and that’s why the GOA is suing.

You have a defense against conviction. You don’t have a defense against arrest. You carry “freely” at the will of the LEO who chooses to not arrest you. You don’t have a right; you have a “fair weather approval”.

DustyDog

Master
    I'd say I HAVE THE RIGHT.
    NOPE. You have their permission (albeit free of charge now) to carry the way they say you will carry... or else. That's not how an uninfringeable right works.

Imagine if they told you you have freedom of speech... as long as no one can hear you talk. :)

DustyDog

Master
    I hope peeps who read this re-think membership in GOA.
    Oh, it already has. If they are successful, I will be donating to them for the first time! :p

This would be life-changing for the armed Citizen. I was arrested once in my life, in 1989, for "open carrying", despite the fact that I wasn't open carrying and had a Florida CW permit!

Top Bottom