GOA suing FL over Open Carry Ban & Under-21 Carry Ban.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    I never really cared either way if Florida allowed open carry.I open carry only when I'm in the woods,try not to when I fish unless it's somewhere in the woods.I do advocate conceal carry at all times unless at home,then reign down the hand of God.We do notice that a short drive to Ala.or Ga.and they open carry freely.I always say choose who we put in the Big Chair to represent our State because some will sing and dance every Election year to gain our votes,but when it's time to make a difference they go left.I know from a very personal experience at the hands of then Governor Rick Scott!

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Good people get jammed up. That's why we're pushing for legalization in FL.

Enough is enough.

In Columbia County, a blind man with a folded seeing eye-cane in his back pocket was harassed by the Sheriff's Office because they thought he had a gun tucked into his back pocket. What was the man doing? His civic duty, he was reporting to court for jury duty. The Sheriff's Deputies originally wanted to arrest him for openly carrying a firearm. But once they realized they made a mistake, they instead charged him with disorderly conduct.

Again, what was the guy doing? Reporting to jury duty.

A blind man was arrested after an officer thought he had a gun. It was his cane. - CBS News, Nov. 10, 2022

ABlaster

Marksman
    Good people get jammed up. That's why we're pushing for legalization in FL.

Enough is enough.

In Columbia County, a blind man with a folded seeing eye-cane in his back pocket was harassed by the Sheriff's Office because they thought he had a gun tucked into his back pocket. What was the man doing? His civic duty, he was reporting to court for jury duty. The Sheriff's Deputies originally wanted to arrest him for openly carrying a firearm. But once they realized they made a mistake, they instead charged him with disorderly conduct.

Again, what was the guy doing? Reporting to jury duty.

A blind man was arrested after an officer thought he had a gun. It was his cane. - CBS News, Nov. 10, 2022
    I remember that. Sometimes I wonder what these guys are thinking.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Coincidentally, I just saw this thread on another forum. Several interesting viewpoints.
    I thought it was interesting, you may not.

And you dodge answering my question just like Florida Republicans dodge pro-gun legislation.

Again.

Do you support people having the choice to open carry? Yes or no?

We aren't discussing the tacticool aspects or how mall-ninja one can be.

We're discussing the decriminalization of open carry and giving people the choice to conceal or carry openly.

Do you support people having that choice without fear of arrest?

Yes or no?

Welldoya

Master
    What makes you think I owe you answers?
    I’m definitely getting a “paid lobbyist, not in this area” vibe from you.

Last edited:

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    And you dodge answering my question just like Florida Republicans dodge pro-gun legislation.

Again.

Do you support people having the choice to open carry? Yes or no?

We aren't discussing the tacticool aspects or how mall-ninja one can be.

We're discussing the decriminalization of open carry and giving people the choice to conceal or carry openly.

Do you support people having that choice without fear of arrest?

Yes or no?
    I support people having a choice to open carry / I support people having that choice without fear of arrest . If I had to vote on it i would definitely vote yes ,while i would never vote no I am not completely sold on the idea of open carry is a good idea . wishy washy answer ? yes . CC IMHO gives me the "tacticool " advantage ,my mall ninja tactics are to hold what i got not to seek and destroy . Even with CC i am on alert of how i move/stand as to not advertise my weapon side , i am VERY concerned about weapon retention, all of my IWB holsters are for quick draw [no retaining strap] and i practice for that including adjusting for car seatbelt position .

DustyDog

Master
    Even with CC i am on alert of how i move/stand as to not advertise my weapon side , i am VERY concerned about weapon retention...
    YES!

Your situational awareness, level of alertness, etc. should be just as high whether you are carrying open or concealed. Again, most criminals are looking for unarmed victims, and concealed carry makes you appear to be unarmed, so...

I usually carry in a fanny pack... only practical way for me (other than open), at 145 lbs., to carry a full-size w/optic and light in the Summer, for example.

I operate with the assumption that any potential "bad guys" might have correctly guessed what is in the pack (though 99% of people don't notice it at all), so I have the bottom of a left boot at the ready if they aggressively get too close. And if the "bad guy" is twice my size and the left boot puts me on the ground, the ceiling or sky will become my backstop, which might actually be a plus :)

blair_heavenwood

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Florida allows open carry when hunting and fishing, I don’t really see a reason to open carry any other time.
    I really don’t care to be around some kid with a Glock in a thigh holster and an AR slung over his shoulder.
    My biggest problem with it is if you see some guy walking down the street with a gun, how do you differentiate between a bad guy and some guy that’s just looking for attention?
    If you see "some guy walking down the street with a gun" I guess you could use your brain to make an assessment of the context. I don't understand your concern. Do you view holstered guns as threatening? If I saw someone with a gun in their hand walking down the street, that could be a threat, and "brandishing" is a crime.

And as for your assessment that I don't NEED to open carry a firearm outside of hunting and fishing, all I can say is that's the Fuddiest take I could imagine.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    To those who don’t “like” open-carry, please just vote for and support the “legalization of that RIGHT”, as horrible it is to have to put it that way.

It’s a RIGHT. It shouldn’t be illegal-unless-by-exemption.

If you disagree with it, so be it.
    My rights don’t stop at your feelings.

Welldoya

Master
    Born a raised in FL buckaroo. Nice try though.

Again, do you support people having a choice?

Yes or no?

It isn't a hard question.

South Florida isn’t in this area. It’s about as far away from this area as you can get.

Welldoya

Master
    If I don’t respond to your attempts at bullying and rudeness it’s because for the first time in 12 years I’ve used the ignore button.
    I really have no tolerance for it.
    I’ve noticed some of the newer members are trying to turn this place into Facebook.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    South Florida isn’t in this area. It’s about as far away from this area as you can get.
    Lived over a decade in the Panhandle. Spent many a fall morning duck hunting in Chipely as a kid. Arrested plenty of dirt bags in Pace.

The fact that you're trying to claim I ain't Floridian is laughably bad.

Try again.

Also, answer the question.

DO YOU SUPPORT PEOPLE HAVING THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE?

YES OR NO?

Last edited:

Miami_JBT

Expert
    If I don’t respond to your attempts at bullying and rudeness it’s because for the first time in 12 years I’ve used the ignore button.
    I really have no tolerance for it.
    I’ve noticed some of the newer members are trying to turn this place into Facebook.
    Awwwww.... Did being called out for you being caught on a gun forum that you ain't pro-gun hurt your feelings?

DustyDog

Master
    I watch almost no TV or movies any more. But if you haven't seen the "Outlander" series, now in Season 7 of 8 planned, I highly recommend it. Pretty sure they went all out to be as historically accurate as possible, keeping in mind that it is based on a work of historical fiction. But check out a couple of short scenes below.

In the first, set in the mid-1700s, they are preparing to head to the Palace of Versailles, where the French king is hosting an event. Note that Jamie and Murtagh are donning their swords in preparation. They will be in the crowded palace, in fact coming face-to-face with the king, openly armed. The only restriction was the prohibition on drawing said swords in the presence of the king which, at the king's discretion, could carry the penalty of death.

In the second, set in the British colony of North Carolina, note what Jamie carries on his belt. Note also that this is pre-revolution (in the 1770s), when we were still under the "oppressive rule of the British". Oh, how far we have fallen.

Last edited:
    It absolutely boils my balls when my LEO brothers on the road don't know Florida statutes and hem up law abiding citizens for not knowing policy that we're sworn to uphold. I'm a Sergeant for the Florida Department of Corrections and I have to maintain decorum and bearing when I'm at these meet and greets with other state and local agencies, where they hem and haw about outright trampling on rights.

Full disclosure: I'm a card carrying member of the OathKeepers, and I have a funny feeling when the time comes, I'm going to get gunned down by my (((brothers in arms))) for upholding my oath. Not all LEOs are goose stepping Nazis, but I'm afraid what they'll do to make retirement.

Edit: I am absolutely for FULL constitutional carry, but I WILL call you a try hard dweeb for carrying your AR to Publix. And even though I think open carrying a pistol is a great deterrent, you're also a target and need to have full 360 degree situational awareness.

DustyDog

Master
    It absolutely boils my balls when my LEO brothers on the road don't know Florida statutes and hem up law abiding citizens for not knowing policy that we're sworn to uphold. I'm a Sergeant for the Florida Department of Corrections and I have to maintain decorum and bearing when I'm at these meet and greets with other state and local agencies, where they hem and haw about outright trampling on rights.

Full disclosure: I'm a card carrying member of the OathKeepers, and I have a funny feeling when the time comes, I'm going to get gunned down by my (((brothers in arms))) for upholding my oath. Not all LEOs are goose stepping Nazis, but I'm afraid what they'll do to make retirement.
    I'll bet you're more respectful of the rights of convicts than some LEOs are of the rights of the law-abiding. One thing that gets my goat are the supposed "law and order" types that think prison rape is "funny"... WTF?!?

I'll bet you're more respectful of the rights of convicts than some LEOs are of the rights of the law-abiding. One thing that gets my goat are the supposed "law and order" types that think prison rape is "funny"... WTF?!?
    Well, to be fair, I'm beholden to policy and procedure, and Florida Statute (Chapter 33) to ensure care, custody and control. But I also always lived by the golden rule, and in the 8 years I've been down, I've only had 30-ish use of force incidents.

DustyDog

Master
    Well, to be fair, I'm beholden to policy and procedure, and Florida Statute (Chapter 33) to ensure care, custody and control. But I also always lived by the golden rule, and in the 8 years I've been down, I've only had 30-ish use of force incidents.
    And just to be clear, I'm not "pro-criminal", but prison rape is a criminal act, not only statutorily but also a crime against nature, so... just trying to be consistent. Though I would like to beat the shit out of some given the chance, so I'm not perfect... and wouldn't make a good corrections officer... or cop... for that very reason :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom