• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The law cant stop me from having a couple of peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches in my lunch box for my own personal consumption... or leaving my lunch box open while I eat... can it?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In the state of Fla,Maine,NH,etc,etc, you cannot use peanut butter for deer on state land. It is considered a bait and not simply a attractant.
    In huntig clubs,smear some on the side of a tree. Works great. Don't need much. Got tons of smell per oz,etc. Hogs love it also. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Your the guy that ask questions then ignor the advice.
    THERMACELL. ---> EVER FORKIN' HEARD OF THEM !!
    Hang around and listen. Quit forkin' talking.
    Get your EXPIERANCED ADVICE from the people that we talked about the other day.
    Jeeeeeeze !!!
    You can do/accomplish everything in total dsrkness that you can during the hours of daylight. It just takes longer. (PLAN FOR IT,DON'T GET FRUSTRATED ) Slow deliberate movements. Practice with a blackout mask. Gettin' in your pack,changing batts in your gear,which pocket contains what.
    Set your stuff up so that you can feel where everything is. Orient certain items in certain ways. Never use a visable light. If you "just gotta",use a 15L RED LIGHT. If your eyes are oriented to the dark,that will be bright enough to get into shooting house,tent blind,ladder stand,etc. Do not point the little light out towards your target area,plot,etc. Try to keep it pointed at the ground.
    Chamber a rd,insert a mag,turn on your sheet,load your pockets,etc,AT YOUR TRUCK. I find it convienient to wear a turkey (type) vest with tons of both small and larger pockets. A "concealed carry" type vest would work also. Mandate - - -> extremely lightweight and breathable.
    ONLY WEAR DARK CLOTHING. Hat with built in face mask you can drop down if needed. Shirt,pants,socks,everything dark. Does not have to be black. A dark camo is better than solid colors. I wear tigers . . . ALWAYS !!
    BUT WAIT . . . you smoke. Your clothes smell,your truck smells,every piece of gear that you use (gun,mag,ammo,caller,NV,etc,etc)smells like a cig. Soooooooo . . . . ?? --- SAWMAN
    Yep, I do that. I tend to learn the hard way. Still, ya think after getting older I'd learn. Didn't smoke out there, used the nicotine pouches. But I did smoke prior to going out.... slight wind in my face last night.
    90 deg red light with double filter is going in my kit today. Had the thermacel with me didn't use it. Used woodland color camo pants and jacket with boonie hat. Need to find a set of the newer Navy midnight blue camo.
    Like anything it's a learning curve and it's as steep as I make it.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Figured out how to get the pics out. range 110 steps so? guessing 100 yards. Pic of the lane is alot brighter than it looks. Game Call at 50 feet. Next time i goto the range gonna switch to the small chevron reticle.

Attachments

• SIMA0004.jpg
      SIMA0004.jpg
      215.1 KB · Views: 73
    • SIMA0005.jpg
      SIMA0005.jpg
      218.2 KB · Views: 72
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Understood. But try your hardest not to learn from the wrong people.
    If you do not like what I am trying to teach,perhaps you need to find another teacher.
    You had a Therma Cell,but did not turn it on,yet you complained about the bugs.
    WTF IS UP WIT DAT ????
    Itotally understand the learning thing. I had to learn. Everybody does. I carry my Therma Cell on every outing. Turn it on,hang it from the overhead roll bar of my buggy. No bugs . . . NONE !! --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good retical. All that is needed.
    On a "slower" chambering or further out you can (through range time at KNOWN distances),use the top of the vertical post for the drops.
    IOW - -> from the center of the dot to the top of the vertical equals how many inches at how many yards.
    I do this with all my Leupolds. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Next trip I'm using a shooting house on a plot with some kind of bait. No calling, just sit, wait, listen and watch. Maybe eggs, peanutbutter or something. Don't really want to put dead stuff on there.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Good retical. All that is needed.
    On a "slower" chambering or further out you can (through range time at KNOWN distances),use the top of the vertical post for the drops.
    IOW - -> from the center of the dot to the top of the vertical equals how many inches at how many yards.
    I do this with all my Leupolds. --- SAWMAN
    That's what I'm planning on doing with the 308Win.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RR, night hunting is a different game , for sure. Sawman’s method of operation is sound, it’s similar to mine and I learned the tricks of the trade from some men that have forgotten more than most folks will ever know about the subject. I still like to call them in on occasion, but shooting them over bait is the most productive method , if It was within my power I’d eradicated the bastards from my general area. I believe they kill many more fawns that people think they do . There’s not much evidence to find when they kill one . I’m not out as much at night as I use to be and I’m sure I’ve heard them get 3 in the last couple of months. Hopefully you can prefect your game enough to put a dent in the coyote population in your area. I’m wishing you much success!

Last edited:

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    This particular conversation is exactly why I haven't tried predator hunting here in the south. If you were out west, any savvy coyote hunter would giggle at you if you told them you were going to sit for hours over a bait pile. Bait is illegal in Az, but even sitting over a cow carcass or dead deer, one could literally sit for days without seeing much more than a buzzard. Coyotes will hang around a carcass sometimes, and Ive called successfully in the vicinity of one a time or two, but it's certainly the least productive method of hunting. I can usually make two stands in an hour, depends on drive time and distance between each stand, and area Im hunting. Time wasted costs me coyotes, and I cover as much ground as I can in a morning or evening. A typical day hunting is from sunrise until about 11AM, sometimes I can squeeze in another or two is it's overcast, still cool or a light sprinkle of a rain. I'll eat lunch, take a break and snooze under the truck until maybe 3PM, then drive and hunt till sundown on my way back home. If I can get a dozen or so good quality stands in a day Ive done good. I usually give each stand a solid 30 minutes, then move down the road a mile or two, find a good spot then hit it again. Do that all day and if Im lucky, I'll have 3 or 4 coyotes in back of the truck and maybe a fox or 2 and a bobcat if Im lucky.
    Here, you just don't have the available country to hunt the way I do, your stuck on small tracts of land and very poor visibility, so I can understand your only option might be sitting on a dead pile? Tough to hunt this country on all accounts, so I have to hand it to you guys that get out there after them.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yep, I do that. I tend to learn the hard way. Still, ya think after getting older I'd learn. Didn't smoke out there, used the nicotine pouches. But I did smoke prior to going out.... slight wind in my face last night.
    90 deg red light with double filter is going in my kit today. Had the thermacel with me didn't use it. Used woodland color camo pants and jacket with boonie hat. Need to find a set of the newer Navy midnight blue camo.
    Like anything it's a learning curve and it's as steep as I make it.
    There's a newer black Multicam

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-145314_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210714-145314_Chrome.jpg
      383.6 KB · Views: 98

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This one was taken near black water in a overgrown pasture. A group of us was cooking out and raising hell with music playing. A buddy of mine says I have my thermal and call, i said ok let’s try it. I assumed we had run everything off but this guy came in within 2 minutes at 80 yards, just on the edge of the shadows from the porch light. It’s crazy how brave they are at night with no respect for the thermal

Attachments

• 5D22E2E2-7258-4CF6-B8EC-3A52D5D2D201.jpeg
      5D22E2E2-7258-4CF6-B8EC-3A52D5D2D201.jpeg
      3.2 MB · Views: 94

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every coyote that I have killed was killed just before dark. They seem to start staging for the evening, and they are very vocal so they can be located in order to set up on them. My son wanted to try my caller so we went to an area were I could maybe shoot a deer while he tried to call in a coyote. We were about 400 yards apart. The yotes started making a racket at about 4;00 so my son started calling, making the same calls they were making. Didn’t take long and here they came to him. He could here them in the dry brush but he never got a shot. He didn’t hide the caller and that spooked them.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    This one was taken near black water in a overgrown pasture. A group of us was cooking out and raising hell with music playing. A buddy of mine says I have my thermal and call, i said ok let’s try it. I assumed we had run everything off but this guy came in within 2 minutes at 80 yards, just on the edge of the shadows from the porch light. It’s crazy how brave they are at night with no respect for the thermal
    That is crazy. Just goes to show, ya never know. Great kill.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Thursday afternoon Friday im going to set up in my bride's shooting house and watch till well after dark. Camera has been showing alot of activity in the late afternoon and evening. No calling, just a sit and wait. Figured out how to connect the atn binox up to an external battery. No visible ir with them. Going to see if I can ride the ir on the binox. ( when with the bride or granddaughter.)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom