• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    12 gauge with Buck shot works great if you can get them in close. It’s possible to take 2 or 3 with one shot. A semi auto can take several down with a quick couple of shots. Not sure if they come in close in packs here, though.

We used to shoot crows, put them in a trash bag and bury then in a field for a day. Come back and rip open the bag and set up for coyotes.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i have no advice for you. a buddy and i got the bright idea once to hunt them and sell their scalps in arizona for the bounty. we set up with a distressed rabbit caller recording. the coyotes evidently had heard that record before. they also were armed with range finders and high powered binoculars. they identified our weapons, calculated our max effective, and then spent the rest of the day circling us nonchalantly, just out of range.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    12 gauge with Buck shot works great if you can get them in close. It’s possible to take 2 or 3 with one shot. A semi auto can take several down with a quick couple of shots. Not sure if they come in close in packs here, though.

We used to shoot crows, put them in a trash bag and bury then in a field for a day. Come back and rip open the bag and set up for coyotes.
    No buckshot. That would have been my first choice. Landowner or paper Co. Says no go.
    As far as bait gonna use the samething that draws the foxes, dog food. I can thank my Bride for that discovery.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You’re in northern Baldwin county. Ask some of the adjacent landowners if they have seen any. I assume since you mentioned paper company it’s the IP piece around Stapleton? Find a clear-cut or food plot (deer lease), treat it like a deer hunt, set up with a caller and have at it. We have no shortage of hotels in Baldwin. Coyotes move almost all the time, but more so in dusk (my experience).

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    You’re in northern Baldwin county. Ask some of the adjacent landowners if they have seen any. I assume since you mentioned paper company it’s the IP piece around Stapleton? Find a clear-cut or food plot (deer lease), treat it like a deer hunt, set up with a caller and have at it. We have no shortage of hotels in Baldwin. Coyotes move almost all the time, but more so in dusk (my experience).
    Yep, off Truck trail. Seen boatloads of tracks. Need to get the cams up.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just before dark listen for them cutting up get to the general area you think they are in and call with relatively the same sounds that they are making. If they howl you howl. Make sure you pay attention to the wind. Called several up this way but didn’t kill the first one, they know exactly were you are and very rarely screw up and let you see them first. I have killed a few in the past cause they had no idea I was there.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Every coyote I've seen that was close enough to shoot was while I was squirrel hunting, doing the step-step-stop routine. There were a couple that seemed to follow me, right up until I saw them. If I had a partner, with another set of eyes and buckshot, they might have got them.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Is there anything against hunting coyotes from a firing port in a bunker? Build a shooting house dugout in the side of a bank maybe? Would hide scent

billrv

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    They will start to get real active when the fawns start to drop hanging out around field edges and clear cuts as well as feeders use no aggressive denning and locating calls to get them interested then fawn in distress bleats have always worked for me, keep in mind they usually travel in pairs while hunting look for the second shot

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    * Most people call too loud. Start low like you were calling to the yote that is 50yds in front of you. Then 100,then 150,etc,etc.
    * Using a rabbit in distress call - -> picture the size of a rabbits lungs and call (volume) appropriately.
    * If you call,a coyote can pinpoint your location to within a 20X20 yard square . . . AT 1/2 MILE.
    * When calling with ANY SOUND,be absolutely ready to shoot.
    * You can fool a coyotes ears with calls. You can fool their sight with camo. But a coyote ALWAYS BELIEVE THEIR NOSE.
    Anything else will be a $200 guide fee. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Just ordered a

Laser Genetics ND-3P Sub Zero Green Laser Designator​

To use with a red dot as well. Might put it on the sub2000 or the Wilson combat 10mm to try.

Attachments

• opplanet-laser-genetics-mounted-on-pistol-nd3psz-v1.jpg
      opplanet-laser-genetics-mounted-on-pistol-nd3psz-v1.jpg
      10.8 KB · Views: 98

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I might make sure I could shoot 200 if the clear cut allows. I might try to set up a caller 50-100 yards out...again if the clear cut allows it. Rabbit in distress will/could also attract deer if you have fawns dropping. First light and before dusk are good too if you don't have Thermal/NV

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have two for sale. A ND3 and a 50mm super high powered model. Can post pics if need be.
    Have used both but only once. Both are ANIB will all mounts and paperwork.
    I believe that Frank has,or had, a ND3 also. He can attest to their effectiveness.
    If you do not have a higher end thermal or a NVD this is what you need as a night hunter.
    I had bought these before I had my thermals.
    James,PM me or call if you have any questions on the usage of the Laser Genetics products. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Would love to see it's usage on the WC 10. That gun deserves the best !!

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When I was stationed in NM I used to supplement my meager E-4 salary at the time by trapping coyotes and hunting them for the BLM in the desert high country. Besides trapping I found that a homemade recording of a litter of puppies or kittens at night w/ Q-beam would bring them in on the run. (My homemade recordings worked better than any of the commercial calls!) The majority of the ones I killed at night were with a 12 ga and #4 buckshot because they were always on the move. Not sure if it would work here but might be worth a try.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My experience whacking yotes says...

I agree with starting the sounds off low and then increase.

For me, lack of movement has been far more important than scent control. Coyotes will sneak up to the edge of open areas and watch for a minute before coming into the open.

Expect the unexpected... yotes will appear like magic, even after you kill one.

Avoid hunting the same areas back to back... I like to give an area 30 days or so after a successful hunt. Thus you will need multiple areas.

Some of the best hunting can be had on the fringe areas of neighborhoods and built up areas.

I find large open fields of 10 acres or more to be beneficial.

I like to use multiple callers spread out at various angles from my position as well as distance. I usually use two but have used up to three at a time. This gives the ability to cast sounds that create an illusion the animal making the sound is on the move.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom