• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I'm get my Chevy model of 1911 and customize it to my liking for EDC. I love carry my 1911 more then anything glad we can talk about it cause people on YouTube talk so bad about a great gun. It still must be a great gun cause some US Marshal in Texas still carry them.

YELLOWZR7

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    maybe this will change ur mind DAN. i ve put at least 1500 rd thru with no prob, it has been with me for bout six years and still is my fav to carry.
    it fits my hand and holds 14 in its teflon mags. i have 19 rd mecgar mags for it also. easy to dissaemble. easy to reassemble. its light and tough and should last for ever. i have a ria 1911 and love it . but i carry my baby eagle 99 % of the time. jerico941.jpg

Attachments

• jerico941.jpg
      jerico941.jpg
      33.1 KB · Views: 138

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I would advice that instead, you save up and get one that was put together properly from the get go. Unless you can find a really incredible gunsmith to fit the parts for you.
    Also keep in mind that if you start with a cheap gun, and add lots and lots of cash to it to make it run well, should you ever need or want to sell it, it'll still be a cheap gun.
    As far as customization, I have two 1911s right now, one has all the modern combat features, the other has all the advanced custom features, recessed slide stop, reversed crowned barrel, blended one piece magwell, serrated top and back of slide, and I can tell you that none of those things make a difference in the way it shoots. However, the modern combat features; extended safety, humped beavertail, commander hammer, polished ramp and throated barrel are a necessity.
    Just my advice and worth just as much as it cost.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Change my mind? How do you mean, because it's plastic?
    I don't have a problem with them or think there's a problem with them. The problem is with me, they just don't feel right to me. That's on me, not the gun. FNX Tactical, great gun, couldnt do it. Just not for me.
    I do have a desert eagle, but it's metal (lots of metal, lol). I really like it, there's a couple of guys trying to get it from me, but I just can't let it go. WAY too cool.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hear you dan but I always spend money on project I just like having my own little touch it.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How you know? I been doing some trading and got the gun home and I got the raw end of the deal. But I know now I just can save and buy new and cheaper and I'll just keep for my kids.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^ oh yeah? What'd you trade and what'd you get?

This interests me. I'm a pretty big trader.

Last edited:

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another happy SR1911 owner. Great 1911 for the price mine ran 650ish and I have seen them for around 600. Reliable so far pleased with features on it for the price. My Kimber I had is another story! "(

I would not trade my SR1911 for a gun double the price.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I carry what I am most familiar with and what I trust the most.
    Since the early 70's I carried a Gold Cup. Never let me down, not even once. There is a lot to be said for the ergonomics and reliability of a 1911, not to mention the aesthetics. When it comes to protecting the life of my loved ones and myself, price isn't a real consideration. Neither high price or low price is what I mean.
    i have a owned a Glock 21 for the past 9 years. It's an ugly brick. Inexpensive, but very, very reliable. Great gun with a thousand rounds through it and not one malfunction of any kind. It has earned the nightstand position.
    It all boils down to my most dependable shooter that I have the most confidence in. Not how much it cost, because all of my handguns shoot better than I do.
    But don't disparage 1911's! I love em!

bluedog46

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a big fan of the 1911 and often carry a colt commander 1911.

I was not a fan thought until I actually shot one. Many people are the same way I think.

The biggest drawbacks to a 1911 is the weight ( in most cases) and the limited amount of rounds compared to the polymer pistols and other guns people carry.

It really comes down to what people like. I don't care what anyone carries as long as they support our right to carry.

Nick

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gotcha.
    I hear some 9's have a very good SA trigger. MK25, M9, CZ-75, etc. I have no idea which is best, but if I were to find one with a truly good trigger, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. I just never could bother to take the time to research it.

The R51 was supposed to be that exactly, didn't quite deliver though.
    I have a sig P226 with the short reset trigger and it is a VERY nice trigger. I also have a Walther PPQ which has the best striker fired trigger I've ever tried. Both extremely conducive to good accuracy.

Nick

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what's the least one would expect to pay for a "good" (not great) 1911. $7-800? I mean a good reliable fun gun. I wouldn't carry it.
    There are quite a few 1911s that you can buy for under $1000 that are well built and reliable for carry. Don't let anybody tell you different. Kimber, SIG, Springfield and Magnum Research are some that come to mind. My Magnum Research 1911 has been extremely reliable and I would trust it for carry. They run about $650. My brother has a traditional frame Sig tacops 1911 and it is 100% reliable and an impressive firearm.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know it may not seem like I care for the 1911 but I do. I even bought a new one last week. Like all fan boys some 1911 guys can't seem to acknowledge it has flaws. LOL

One thing I never heard before going to a 1911 forum is someone willing carrying FMJ. Why in the hell would you want a SD pistol that would not feed Hollow points reliably. :dizzy: A 45 fmj is smaller in diameter then even cheaply made (expanded) 9mm. Then there is some 80 year old fan boy who says the fmj worked well threw world war I & II.

I have not had any issue running hollow points but have changed my normal break in routine to include 300 instead 150 of my hollow point carry load.

The first sep to finding a solution is admitting there is a problem.

Article that prompted this post.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6431#more-6431

A helpful link for figuring out what what type of failure your having. I am sure most you do not need this but I am sure some here are new to the platform like me.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6311#more-6311

Last edited:

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You do not have to tell me.

The 1911 was never designed to run hollow points. It seems most manufactures have fixed the problem but some models seem to still have a hard time with them. Instead of the fan boys admitting the gun has a problem they talk themselves & others into believing a running FMJ is good enough.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The reason for FMJ in WWI and WWII was because the Geneva Convention forbids hollowpoints, not because the 1911 wouldn't handle them.

Im feeling too lazy to look it up at the moment, but Im prety sure the conventions did not ban hollow points specifically, but more exactly, bullets that caused undue suffering and trauma (including dum-dum, tumbling, etc)

Here: I guess Im not as lazy as I thought:

One of many references:

http://www.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v2_rul_rule77

"certain conventional weapons that may cause unnecessary
    suffering or have indiscriminate effects"

Top Bottom