• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started with a Glock 30SF and, while nice, I found it to be too fat. I went to a RIA 1911 Tactical. I have put over 500 rounds through it in the last two months alone. It is on my hip daily. 'Nuff said.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was reading another one of these type threads recently. The guy was talking about how he had tried to carry a glock 19 & while it was a nice weapon, it did not evoke the same emotion as his 1911. As silly as it sounds I find its true.LOL I love my glocks but think of them more as a well designed tool. Simple, easy to use & care for.

Then another guy pointed out that if you want a gun that's high maintenance with more personality. Just get a hot girlfriend....it'll have those same traits you desire with more benefits.: :pound:

I laughed my ass off.

Last edited:

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Too many people want cheaper lighter and greater capacity! I love my 1911's one of my primary carry's is a colt officer's model. 100 years old and still going strong how many handguns can say that!

The PT 1911 is a great gun for the money specially in Stainless . My only problem is capacity. They do make a 14 rd model I just can't remember the companies name. I think they call it a 1914.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^ Para Ordnance. My main problem is that Wilson doesn't make double stack mags.

Last edited:

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like both Glocks and 1911s but if my life depended on it I would choose Glock because of reliability and high capacity. I could never spend money for a Wilson Combat and if I did buy one it would be a safe queen due to the fact I would be worried about scratching up that expensive of a gun.

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love the 1911s since I first shot one in 1973. Great guns that can take a beating but they do like being babied.

Have a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. One of my favorites!! Great hunting gun and it has been my concealed carry more than once.

For $700 to $800, the Ruger SR1911 is fantastic. Very reliable. I prefer mine over either of my two Kimbers. No, the Kimbers aren't for sale.

Glock grips are too big for my hand and so, if I had one, it wouldn't be played with as much as a gun that fits, like the 1911. Triggers - whoa. 1911s when set right are the gold standard for triggers. And lots are set right straight from the factory, like my Ruger SR1911.

If I want large capacity, I go to my Springfield XDm 9mm. But for self defense and fun shooting, its the 1911s.

Gene

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For $700 to $800, the Ruger SR1911 is fantastic. Very reliable. I prefer mine over either of my two Kimbers. No, the Kimbers aren't for sale.

Another happy SR1911 owner. Great 1911 for the price mine ran 650ish and I have seen them for around 600. Reliable so far pleased with features on it for the price. My Kimber I had is another story! "(

Want2yak

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sr1911 was my first. Aaron with Second amendment shooting had a great deal on them. I love mine.

Sent from my iPad

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They're pretty to look at but I choose Glock for a multitude of reasons. Bottom line, the gun is too problematic in nature from maintenance to design. When compared to other options that do the same task, I see no reason why one has to spend $2000+ on a gun that works when something can be had in the $500 range. I also find very few major big name instructors that recommend them without hesitation. This stupid obsession with tightness is crippling for the 1911 too.

That said I do have a Dan Wesson Valor that I like when I'm going against paper. I've also done a few things such as pin the backstrap safety, install a arched mainspring and add a flat long trigger.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How do I know if a 1911 is the right choice for me?

That is a tough question as I feel most people are best served NOT using a 1911 as a primary sidearm. Two criteria come to mind a) A passion for the 1911 platform and b) you are willing to be your own armorer and can fix relatively minor problems or fit certain parts yourself. If you are the kind of guy that doesn’t mind tinkering with your Harley Davidson motorcycle to keep it running then you are a candidate. If however you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers then don’t get a 1911 – use a Glock.

Quote from Larry Vickers. Pretty much sums it up.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just back from vaca and this is a great subject. I'll put my seconds on SR1911. For the money it's pretty hard to beat. I have found that I shoot this platform better than most others including glock and XD's. You can get on YouTube and research everybody's opinion, even the Yeager man chimes in on this one.
    I refer to JohnAls comment... Ford, Chevy, or Dodge

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am curious how many people would still use them if they had an average trigger? I doubt I would.

You would think some company would make a modern, high capacity, relatively light single action gun with a trigger as nice as the 1911.

If there is one out there, please let me know. :faint2:

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am curious how many people would still use them if they had an average trigger? I doubt I would.

You would think some company would make a modern, high capacity, relatively light single action gun with a trigger as nice as the 1911.

Yes. A 2011 :D

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'm a Vickers fan, but I have to disagree, you don't have to be your own armorer, just buy a good gun, treat it right and if you don't know how to use a screwdriver, find a good Smith. It's the one platform that both novices and the more experienced can both shoot well. The design lends itself to better marksmanship and good accuracy. HOWEVER, one must be properly trained, as trigger control is very important as the triggers are generally lighter than others.
    Felt the Ruger last week and I was disappointed. I expected it to feel over engineered, heavy, tank-like, like most Rugers feel to me. Maybe this one was a bad example, but it rattled and the spring made noise, I'm sure it functions well enough, but those are two pet peeves of mine. Not to hate on anybody's pistol, but I was really looking forward to it and found myself disappointed.
    Even Yaeger, as much of a self promoting clown as he is, admits that when properly built, 1911s are pretty awesome.
    1911s were designed to be fitted, not assembled. Fitted guns are expensive, but guns can be refinished. Get a good gun, carry it, shoot it, love it and refinish it as needed. You can get an excellent gun for about the cost of 2 ARs, in that perspective, it's not so bad. TGD has one sitting in his shelf right now.

Disclaimer: I don't like polymer guns of any kind.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-tactical-3-0/

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a Vickers fan, but I have to disagree, you don't have to be your own armorer, just buy a good gun, treat it right and if you don't know how to use a screwdriver, find a good Smith. It's the one platform that both novices and the more experienced can both shoot well. The design lends itself to better marksmanship and good accuracy. HOWEVER, one must be properly trained, as trigger control is very important as the triggers are generally lighter than others.
    Felt the Ruger last week and I was disappointed. I expected it to feel over engineered, heavy, tank-like, like most Rugers feel to me. Maybe this one was a bad example, but it rattled and the spring made noise, I'm sure it functions well enough, but those are two pet peeves of mine. Not to hate on anybody's pistol, but I was really looking forward to it and found myself disappointed.
    Even Yaeger, as much of a self promoting clown as he is, admits that when properly built, 1911s are pretty awesome.
    1911s were designed to be fitted, not assembled. Fitted guns are expensive, but guns can be refinished. Get a good gun, carry it, shoot it, love it and refinish it as needed. You can get an excellent gun for about the cost of 2 ARs, in that perspective, it's not so bad. TGD has one sitting in his shelf right now.

Disclaimer: I don't like polymer guns of any kind.

That is pretty much where I am with them. I'm slowly coming back to 1911s after nearly 15 years of no serious use with them. I went from 13 years of daily carry and use of a 1911 to almost strictly Glock. I bought a trio of Springfield Armory 1911s (RO, LW Operator, TRP Operator) and now I'm integrating it back into my daily life again. When I carried them in the 80s and 90s I didn't carry anything as nice as the SA pistols. A bone stock Combat Commander with Bomar sights and then a Government model with Trijicon sights. I never had to tinker with either other than fitting a couple of extractors and a new barrel to the Government Model after shooting the OEM barrel out. In my experience, those that tinker with them end up needing to always tinker with them because they rarely run correctly. If they are setup correctly from the start you rarely have to work on them until it's time for a new extractor.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man.....I wouldn't know where to start on this one. Own a good one with a good magazine and it will never let you down. I have not owned a 1911 that I could not get the trigger better than any gun I have ever shot nor have I owned one that I would not trust my life on with reliability as one would a glock. The key component that causes the stereotype of unreliability with 1911's is mainly the magazine. Get a good mag in a good 1911 and she will never fail you.

I have not owned one that I did not shoot at least 500 rounds through unless I sold it within a month of getting it.

3 words......John Moses Browning!

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom