• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why do so many guy get on YouTube or on some gun forums and bash 1911? And do 1911 owner really put 500 rounds thru there gun? Cause I have 2 1911

YELLOWZR7

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never liked them b4 , i carry a jericko 941 , i dislike glocks ,I was a cz platform hore, but then i bought a ria and i love it . i dont carry it often but if someone knocks one let them hold it and rack it and fondle it and they to will probly fall in love. i think when u can buy a glock in any caliber for under 600 and all the cop tv shows are comercails for glock there are gonna be people that just dont know and are prejudice. i wont carry my ria all the time but i like them a lot and they are more customable{?} to make ur own, another reason for me not to purchase one before was ammo. all my guns were 9mm and 22 so i didnt have to buy mulitipul calibers. a 45 rd is huge compared to 9mm though. my thoughts

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Hmm. Where to start? Here we go:
    The 1911 was designed at a time when when guns were fitted and crafted, not assembled. Not to mention that hollow points were a long way from ever being thought about.

Today's mass assembled 1911s can be hit or miss. Fine for the range, but I wouldn't carry one. Unfortunately, fitted 1911s take more time and skill to produce, and they usually have a price tag that reflects that.
    If you want a gun that feels like a 1911, but don't have the budget for a good one, get an m&p with a thumb safety, great gun, and reliable because it was made the way the design calls for it to be.

I used to call them "skinny, old dinosaurs" until I fired one and thought, "holy sh!t, I can actually hit exactly what I'm aiming at!!!" And I've been in love ever since.

Why do some people still hate on 1911s? My guess is that they haven't fired a good one.

Gene

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Too many people want cheaper lighter and greater capacity! I love my 1911's one of my primary carry's is a colt officer's model. 100 years old and still going strong how many handguns can say that!

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Probably cause they can't figure out how to put theirs back together after they take it apart. I've had a few and like them, they aren't my favorite but I like them.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The question about 500 rounds through one. +15000 and still going strong. I am sure there are people on here that have shot theres more.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just a FNG to the 1911 & have been lucky with the few I have owned. In my limited experience the gun requires a user willing to learn the guns weakness & maintain it in a way as to help eliminate possible issues. I would never suggest one to a new gun owner as it is a more involved platform. IMO new users need to spend their time learning how to shoot & handle a weapon safely.

Mag related issues, feed lips, spring tension & springs that do not last long.

Feed way issues. It was originally designed to run FMJ only, not Hollow points. Most companies seem to have this remedied.

Extractor issues one needs to learn how to test one & how to tune one. You can bring it to gun smith but I try to avoid them if possible.

Dam things are heavy & hold less round. People end up with special holster, belts & sometimes even suspenders to carry one comfortably. I can carry two fully loaded XDS 9mm with 16 rounds & still weigh less the what some 1911 guys carry everyday.

An article by a 1911 guy moving away from the platform.
    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6631

I really enjoy just fondling, looking at & shooting one. I think I will always own one but I will not be one of these guys carrying a full size for EDC. If someone makes a gun stock with glock like reliability & ease of maintenance with a 1911 trigger then I might get rind of them.:tongue1:

Last edited:

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^There's number of companies who produce 1911s with Glock-like reliability.

I was not saying that they are not.

I want a whole new pistol design that incorporates those characteristics. Plus being relatively light weight. Note the smily face. This gun will most likely never be made.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Gotcha.
    I hear some 9's have a very good SA trigger. MK25, M9, CZ-75, etc. I have no idea which is best, but if I were to find one with a truly good trigger, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. I just never could bother to take the time to research it.

The R51 was supposed to be that exactly, didn't quite deliver though.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I can speak from experience. My experience being that I probably have the least experience of anyone on this forum. I don't know why people dis them other than there's just people out there that would bitch about a weekend with Hillary Fisher doing anything you want. I don't own a 1911 mainly because when I do buy one I want to be able to get a good one. I had put a lot of rounds (for me) down range with my XD9 and a few other pistols before I ever got to shoot a 1911. What I noticed from the first was the "pointability". It does seem to me that it just naturally wants to follow you around more than the other stuff I've shot. I can shoot my XD better than any other pistol I've fired except the 1911.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The CZ 75 trigger is not good stock & it takes a good amount of money to make it better. I actually like the PO7/PO9 trigger better.

Hey I like the 1911. Nobody here cares what I say anyhow.:caked:

I am saving to get one in 9mm right now. It just will not be my EDC or SHTF gun. I am going to get the springfield Range officer or sell another toy & by a Dan wesson Point man 9.

I can buy a high end built with everything I want or base model & have fun upgrading. Decision, Decisions

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom