• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Was up late skinning and quartering. Deer was shot with Rem 700 VTR .308, Bushnell Banner scope. 147? gr PMC SP @ +100 yards. 8pt almost a 9. About a 40 yard run before he realized he was dead. See what happens when you marry a farm girl!! :)

Attachments

• 20210201_185227.jpg
      20210201_185227.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 91
    • 20210201_212444.jpg
      20210201_212444.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 91

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Buddy of mine shot this one from the camp about 250 yards? in the clear cut. You can see the camp. 5 shots from 270. 3 hits. Froze my azz off sitting in the woods this morning.

Attachments

• 20210203_100805.jpg
      20210203_100805.jpg
      2.6 MB · Views: 94
    • 20210203_100747_001.jpg
      20210203_100747_001.jpg
      4.6 MB · Views: 93

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW: Deer are pretty curious by nature, sight and smell trigger this. Buck and human urine are equally effective with bucks and does, whereas doe, doe in heat/estrous are are less effective on both sex. Are you using/refreshing scent scrapes? I like to use the biggger tile work type spunges as they stay moist longer, wick/aerate the scent better, compress and store in ziplock bag. Use multiple different scents, makes things seem busy and interesting.

Try putting an unusual object in the kill zone. This is to stimulate visual interest, we want them to approach and try to figure it out. Spray it with a scent buster because we don't want them to smell and think they know what it is. A Bucket. Its not just the shape standing out as tree stumps are common, its shape and "UV Signature" that make it interesting, while it's small, no scent, non moving = no threat. "Slick raincoat" = slick bucket UV wise so it will stand out.

What colors do deer actually see and UV signatures.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Haven't been using any lure. We were seeing deer and did not want to spook em. Feeders with corn/soy and sweet potatoes. Bucks have been in the plots along with the ever present does and babys. I can't hardly get out of the stand. Had 6 ( not bucks) in the plot at dark. Going to try my bride's plot this eve. I have not been in hers cause I wanted her to get em' she really enjoys it.

Fishinspot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i sat on one of my spots that I can see down several lanes. Yesterday and this morning didn’t see anything. This evening was busy. I had quite a few deer all around me. Mostly does and had one small cow horn buck and one larger what I think was a buck but he was out at the end of one of my lanes. Couldn’t get the Scope on him because I had several does staring me down so I was holding still. I’m Pretty sure it was a buck but not positive. does were very skittish and running around quite a bit. Nothing to bring home but it was an eventful sit. Maybe try again this weekend.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    i sat on one of my spots that I can see down several lanes. Yesterday and this morning didn’t see anything. This evening was busy. I had quite a few deer all around me. Mostly does and had one small cow horn buck and one larger what I think was a buck but he was out at the end of one of my lanes. Couldn’t get the Scope on him because I had several does staring me down so I was holding still. I’m Pretty sure it was a buck but not positive. does were very skittish and running around quite a bit. Nothing to bring home but it was an eventful sit. Maybe try again this weekend.
    Your right the deer are acting like they have been doing meth. Does are acting aggressively towards each other. Blowing, stomping, charging. Yearlings running around the plots. Crazy.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll let this one out of the bag of tricks: Vanilla, as in baking supplies. Vanilla extract is better but more expensive than flavoring syrups. Its cost effective to buy the extract in a large bottle like at the Link. Its a native product of Mexico. Use the sponge wick, easy and avoid a mess: sponge in ziplock add extract, close squish around then hang/tree the sponge out of reach. It's normally thin enough to use in a spray bottleif preferred. Bring it out every night, we don't want them getting used to it when you're not there. Unlike bad ass buck and doe in heat, you can use it in baked goods. Much easier then squeezing castoreum from a beaver. Lol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom