• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Still pissed, but have 10 days left to redeem myself. Told one of the other members, his suggestion was get a "real" rifle. It appears the camp has been abuzz with talk of my "black" rifles..... now, it's on. I'm gonna shoot 3 in the next 10 days if I have to sleep out there. It's time for " if it's Brown it's down" Tips and tactics welcome, post em.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Will be hunting for the next week. Rut is in. Deer are all acting squirrely. Typical hunting trip for me. Vortex on my 450 bm worked loose again, the tube this time, not the mount. Seen several deer, one spike, one 4 pt. Babies mommas and does jumping around. Luckly I brought the 6.8 upper so two pins and back hunting. More later.
    Two is one, one is none

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Still pissed, but have 10 days left to redeem myself. Told one of the other members, his suggestion was get a "real" rifle. It appears the camp has been abuzz with talk of my "black" rifles..... now, it's on. I'm gonna shoot 3 in the next 10 days if I have to sleep out there. It's time for " if it's Brown it's down" Tips and tactics welcome, post em.
    Time to channel your inner Rambo

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Maybe dont keep the safety on? I know, I can hear the ridicule from here, but if that's what spooked him then the hell I'd risk doing that again. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger and practice muzzle awareness and to hell with everybody else's safety levers, they wont be putting your 8 pointer in the freezer, and you will be. And I'd be keeping that buttstock in my shoulder at all times, at the ready

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Black cargo van w/o back windows, park with side sliding door next to the feeder........

I don't know your routine or prep. FWIW: Park your ATV further away, they all smell, worse when hot. We get too cozy in the blind and assume its a cloak of invisibility with zero noise and smell emissions. Its not but it does helps. Does the blind creak/squeak? Smoke or chew: don't. Do window shades smell like smoke? You been spending hours around a camp fire or smell like a greesey skillet? Wind carries and swirls that around, up and down, every day, same with your clothing. I'd do an over nighter in the blind, wouldn't take a chance of spooking anything out of the zone even with a zero dark thirty entry. Seal all "waste" up in the blind. Nothing crunchy on the floor? Pull food from crinkling wrappers and use ziplock bags. No lights, no fizzy pop tops cans, no metal to metal noise. Think, then move slowly and deliberately even just shifting your weight. How's the light pass "through" the blind? Sheers don't always conceal silhouettes or dark moving shadows, do you get backlit or from the sides, when the Sun shifts AM/PM? Many folks have never see their blind from the outside at varying distances at sunrise/set, how does it blend in in those critical hours? From the frequented approach angle? Do they routinely veer off around the same area? Why? Is it something in your direction they want to avoid or what's in the direction they go? Blind hunting does not mean you don't walk the land for fresh sign, rubs, droppings track well use game trails. Have you used game cams in blind spots you can't see from the perch? Are you bound to the blind by shooting rules? Do you sit facing the most frequented avenue of approach? Optic shaded? Face/hands covered? No playing on a device? Lol

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Black cargo van w/o back windows, park with side sliding door next to the feeder........

I don't know your routine or prep. FWIW: Park your ATV further away, they all smell, worse when hot. We get too cozy in the blind and assume its a cloak of invisibility with zero noise and smell emissions. Its not but it does helps. Does the blind creak/squeak? Smoke or chew: don't. Do window shades smell like smoke? You been spending hours around a camp fire or smell like a greesey skillet? Wind carries and swirls that around, up and down, every day, same with your clothing. I'd do an over nighter in the blind, wouldn't take a chance of spooking anything out of the zone even with a zero dark thirty entry. Seal all "waste" up in the blind. Nothing crunchy on the floor? Pull food from crinkling wrappers and use ziplock bags. No lights, no fizzy pop tops cans, no metal to metal noise. Think, then move slowly and deliberately even just shifting your weight. How's the light pass "through" the blind? Sheers don't always conceal silhouettes or dark moving shadows, do you get backlit or from the sides, when the Sun shifts AM/PM? Many folks have never see their blind from the outside at varying distances at sunrise/set, how does it blend in in those critical hours? From the frequented approach angle? Do they routinely veer off around the same area? Why? Is it something in your direction they want to avoid or what's in the direction they go? Blind hunting does not mean you don't walk the land for fresh sign, rubs, droppings track well use game trails. Have you used game cams in blind spots you can't see from the perch? Are you bound to the blind by shooting rules? Do you sit facing the most frequented avenue of approach? Optic shaded? Face/hands covered? No playing on a device? Lol
    Thanks for the tips! No stalk hunting on the club. Whoever makes the cliff bar wrappers must work for PETA too...lol. Off to work now!! More later.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i see the feeder is pretty close to the fire pit and swings....maybe consider moving it out a little...say 200 or so yards....that might help

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Must be blowing hard for somebody with sea legs to say its blowing hard

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When I used to climb,was up a pine about 40ft in the palmetto flats on Eglin. I figured that it moved about 5ft fore and aft where I was at.
    I quickly learned that there was no real advantage to being up much more than 15ft or so. Had a Tree Lounge back then. Best climber I ever owned.
    I used to go up those tall green power poles on the Gulf Power ROW on Esc Rvr WMA by Jernigan. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    When I used to climb,was up a pine about 40ft in the palmetto flats on Eglin. I figured that it moved about 5ft fore and aft where I was at.
    I quickly learned that there was no real advantage to being up much more than 15ft or so. Had a Tree Lounge back then. Best climber I ever owned.
    I used to go up those tall green power poles on the Gulf Power ROW on Esc Rvr WMA by Jernigan. --- SAWMAN
    I'm only up about 24. Today is really windy!! Going to shooting house this evening.!

bmixs10

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well had an wide beautiful 8 pt walk out.... moved slow, lined up the shot then flicked off the safety like I was going to mow down the red Chinese.... klack = zoom. Gone... ^$$&=%&&$ fing ^$$^&*&'x!! Got it to the 2 yard line and fumbled it. My BP must be 180. So pissed at myself. Stupid newbie buck fever. Dammit.
    A "loud" safety got me a few years ago. A drop of gun oil made a big difference.
    Good Luck!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mine are smoothed and greased. I also take my safety off using two fingers in a hunging situation and in certain situations in a combat environment. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom