• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Well, I know it applies to anything involving baking the finish on. Something about +160 degs?? I'll just dodge the bullet and leave it alone!!!

Yeah, that is why I only do air-cured cerakoting. I tried to do the oven cured cerakote...but I didn't realize it would stink up the house...lol, so air-cure only for me...ha

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Finally had time to cerakote the build, it's air cured so I have to wait until Monday-Tuesday to put it together. I decided to do a Dolos build, it will still be pretty light, but not as light as my existing lightweight build. I have a 300 blackout and a 5.56 barrels so I cerakoted the 5.56 handguard the same burnt bronze as the lower and upper and the 300 blkout will have a Glacier Black hanguard so I can tell what caliber I'm shooting. As you can see the pistol brace is the burnt bronze and the buffer tube is black. All the internal parts (trigger, bolt, etc.) will be black so I think it will contrast well.

Attachments

• File_000 (5).jpeg
      File_000 (5).jpeg
      527.3 KB · Views: 139

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Going to finish up after work. The Cerakote looks good and it should be pretty light. Going to put the Dolos collar on the upper and double-check fitment. Should be able to post pics after work.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    This sucks, just realized that the Dolos lock ring will not work with this upper. Now I got to look for a new barrel, leaning toward a 7.62 build. Just need a barrel and handguard now...

Attachments

• File_000 (8).jpeg
      File_000 (8).jpeg
      679.7 KB · Views: 120
    • File_000 (7).jpeg
      File_000 (7).jpeg
      450.3 KB · Views: 128

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    This sucks, just realized that the Dolos lock ring will not work with this upper. Now I got to look for a new barrel, leaning toward a 7.62 build. Just need a barrel and handguard now...
    It happens. Had the same type problem with the 308Win pistol build. Moving along good then the handguard wouldn't fit. Looks great so far!!!

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So I got really bored and antsy these past few months...I got impatient and started to put the build together without buying some of the parts that I originally wanted. So I decided to make a 16" 7.62x39 build and it would be light-ish. I decided to go with a super light weight build I decided a skeletonized everything build with this build (grip, charging handle, stock, etc.) I need to adjust the gas block and zero in, and this rain ain't helping me any. I did a cold Cerakote (burnt bronze with a couple of drops of glacier black - trying to go for a darker Midnight Burnt Bronze look). I did save a lot of money by waiting on the Christmas and other sales...

Total Weight: 5.38lb

If I can be patient and stop myself from tinkering with it ( momma says that I can go blind if I tinker with it ), I can probably wait for more sales and shave off a pound if I went with a 14.5" x39 barrel, but none could be found. And a lighter handguard. The handguard I have on it is light (GunTec ultra-light mlok) and it comes in at 10oz with the barrel nut, but I there are lighter "skeletonized" handguards out there.

Anyway, here are some pics of the build. I know that I will putz around with this one further, but for now the goal was to get every piece of the rifle to be "skeletonized" (I have a skeletonized buffer tube, but it is on my current lightweight build). Everything from the BCG to the bolt catch has a hint of skeletonization (<-- maybe a word ? lol)

When I get a second, I will probably tally up the final cost and price per weight...

Attachments

• File_002.jpeg
      File_002.jpeg
      347.6 KB · Views: 143
    • File_004.jpeg
      File_004.jpeg
      375.2 KB · Views: 140
    • File_001 (1).jpeg
      File_001 (1).jpeg
      321.1 KB · Views: 153
    • File_006.jpeg
      File_006.jpeg
      346.5 KB · Views: 142

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    So I got really bored and antsy these past few months...I got impatient and started to put the build together without buying some of the parts that I originally wanted. So I decided to make a 16" 7.62x39 build and it would be light-ish. I decided to go with a super light weight build I decided a skeletonized everything build with this build (grip, charging handle, stock, etc.) I need to adjust the gas block and zero in, and this rain ain't helping me any. I did a cold Cerakote (burnt bronze with a couple of drops of glacier black - trying to go for a darker Midnight Burnt Bronze look). I did save a lot of money by waiting on the Christmas and other sales...

Total Weight: 5.38lb

If I can be patient and stop myself from tinkering with it ( momma says that I can go blind if I tinker with it ), I can probably wait for more sales and shave off a pound if I went with a 14.5" x39 barrel, but none could be found. And a lighter handguard. The handguard I have on it is light (GunTec ultra-light mlok) and it comes in at 10oz with the barrel nut, but I there are lighter "skeletonized" handguards out there.

Anyway, here are some pics of the build. I know that I will putz around with this one further, but for now the goal was to get every piece of the rifle to be "skeletonized" (I have a skeletonized buffer tube, but it is on my current lightweight build). Everything from the BCG to the bolt catch has a hint of skeletonization (<-- maybe a word ? lol)

When I get a second, I will probably tally up the final cost and price per weight...
    Wow, that turned out good. Fine work. Still needing a hexi mag I see. The short mags will work for the x39 if they make one. 5-7 rds in the 223 30rd mag will work. Is that the stock I sent ya the link for?? The cassette style trigger was a good choice too, I was wondering about that.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nope, no short mag, but...

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Very nice. I have the same stock for a 308 i'm building. Haven't shot it yet. How does it shoot? I found that those slip on g.i. butt pads fit nicely. Which is probably needed for any 7.62 build.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Rebel...I couldn't find any Hexmag specifically for the x39 round. There are mixed reviews of using the 5.56 mags in the x39 build, so I'm thinking that I may just Cerakote the x39 mags with a Hex pattern. As for the stock, it is a United Defense Skeletonized stock off of Delta Team Tactical, the link that you gave me, I believe is the same thing, but that link went to a site that had it on sale for like $120 or so. Delta Team Tactical had them for $59, plus free shipping with a coupon that I got. As for the trigger, I did a dry run on a regular cmmg trigger setup on it, it would work, but I didn't like the springs that exposed on it. I thought it would be ok, but then I got another coupon from Optics planet so I thought it was providence that I get a one piece drop in trigger,

850guns...I haven't shot it yet, this weekend was the weekend that I was supposed to adjust the adjustable gas block and zero in. But this stupid rain is putting a stop to all that (man plans and God laughs). Thanks for the idea of the GI butt pads, I got to try that. The aluminum butt plat is comfortable, I'm just thinking about the cheek weld, but I don't think it will be that bad.

Anyting5dolla

Expert
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Icrw berserker pcc. Super lightweight haven’t thrown it on the scale yet waiting until the last parts show up.

Attachments

• 71AFE6FF-12BD-44AB-B4D1-BCE56BF2CE55.jpeg
      71AFE6FF-12BD-44AB-B4D1-BCE56BF2CE55.jpeg
      3.8 MB · Views: 97

Latest posts

Top Bottom