• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Still waiting on parts, RA trigger and barrel. I staged the parts to figure out what color to cerakote. Leaning toward burnt bronze or midnight bronze with black.

Attachments

• File_000 (2).jpeg
      File_000 (2).jpeg
      175.4 KB · Views: 119

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Still waiting on parts, RA trigger and barrel. I staged the parts to figure out what color to cerakote. Leaning toward burnt bronze or midnight bronze with black.
    Wow!! Now time for the weigh in... what's the skinny! Paint will add too much weight!! Tell the weight of the complete lower!!

Last edited:

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Wow!! Now time for the weigh in... what's the skinny! Paint will add too much weight!! Tell the weight of the complete lower!!
    Once the drop in trigger comes in, I can get the weight. Also, cerakoting shouldn't add too much weight to it, maybe .02 - .04 oz. But now that you mention it, I wonder how much weight it will add. I will weigh in pre and post cerakoting. Last bit of info Reb, I took your idea about dremeling, decided to dremel out portions of the stock. It had groove lines already on the stock, just traced & cut it out. The lines are a little sloppy, but with a little sanding it might be ok. Going to air cure cerekote it this weekend.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just a thought. - - -> Which guns are the most accurate,the light guns or the heavy guns ?? --- SAWMAN

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    That's kind of a loaded question...I think that barrel, ammo, and the shooter has a lot to do with accuracy, everything else being equal. So if we really wanted to test which is more accurate IMHO you would have to:

1) Go to the range where the weather (temp, humidity, wind, etc.) would be relatively the same.
    2) Be in a position to switch out the barrel with a different stripped upper, doable but a pain in the @ss.
    3) Shoot from a bench rest, preferably a rest that does not move
    4) 5 shot groups at the same distant target with each setup to get a good zero, using Irons sights...maybe?
    5) Once you get your zero for a particular setup, do a 20-30 shot group in a standing position (2 sec intervals per shot)

My guess, the standing position, would lead to more fatigue with the heavier setup because of weight which would lead to accuracy issues. Don't know though, never tested it. If anyone else has a different opinion, I would love to hear it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good points sir.
    Would agree with your above. A blanket statement of "heavier is best" is too broad. Same as "lighter is best". Best for what situation,application,usage,terrain, environment,person/shooter,should be carefully considered. --- SAWMAN

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Good points sir.
    Would agree with your above. A blanket statement of "heavier is best" is too broad. Same as "lighter is best". Best for what situation,application,usage,terrain, environment,person/shooter,should be carefully considered. --- SAWMAN
    I've seen some pencil barrels that were wrapped in carbon fiber that were gnats ass accurate

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Got my suprise for yall this am from my ffl, but too wore out from today to post it. But I will tell you it weighs 25.5 oz. :)

Alright...so you said that you got it from an FFL, but it is only 25.5 oz. That a 1 1/2 lbs - ish...it has to be a completed lower.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just wondering how many world class benchrest shooters,of ranges from 100 to 1000yds, use pencil bbls wrapped in carbon fiber for thier lightness ??
    How about BR50 22 rimfire shooters ?? How about the AR competative shooters ?? Do they seek out or intentionally lighten their competition guns ??
    Just wondering. Just trying to learn.
    NOW - -> If you were assured that all your shots were gonna be from the offhand,standing,unsupported position . . . then go light. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    NOW - -> If you were assured that all your shots were gonna be from the offhand,standing,unsupported position . . . then go light. --- SAWMAN
    Yep, cause I'm tired from carrying the blue barrel! You were on Johnson's jungle adventure, lighter is better when out and about. My build is for walking around alot and shooting the occasional pest, or something good to eat. The current one I have built is accurate and can ring steel @ 300, what's not to love??

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    All excellent questions Sawman. I would imagine that using a lightweight setup doesn't hurt. For competitive long-range or bench rest shooters probably very nominal gains. I read an article when I was doing my research on my first lightweight build about pencil barrels and how heat from rapid, sustained shots, would affect POI. But that article stated that barrel manufacturing has come a long way to help alleviate that problem (I think that they interviewed a Faxon Rep). For me, I am a true hobbyist. I don't hunt, I hunt in Publix and Walmart, for my big game. I'm not a competitive shooter, because I usually can't hit crap outside of 25 yards...lol

When I did my first lightweight build, it was more of a challenge to come up with the lightest possible setup, that went BANG, fit within my budget, and felt good to shoot. I compare it to why do people climb Everest. Also, when tinkering with my guns, it's my "me time". I work in the computer industry and sometimes I have people that don't make any damn sense, so tinkering/building guns is my "Me Time" (I feel pretty oh so pretty..). Things make sense when I work on my guns and cars. I think that is what a lot of the anti-gun people don't get. They ask "why do you need an AR", short answer...I really don't "need" one, but as an American, I "want" one because it's a hobby. It is my relaxation - decompress time.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yep, cause I'm tired from carrying the blue barrel! You were on Johnson's jungle adventure, lighter is better when out and about. My build is for walking around alot and shooting the occasional pest, or something good to eat. The current one I have built is accurate and can ring steel @ 300, what's not to love??
    Alright Reb....you had time to sleep and I see that you are awake....pics of the new toy is needed.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Here ya go!! 25.5 oz. Funny thing is it's classified as "other" even though it's got a fixed stock. Werid. From in inspection it's well made and has a very good trigger. I'll post the full specs in a bit. A1 stock lenght.

Attachments

• 20210211_072707.jpg
      20210211_072707.jpg
      6.5 MB · Views: 102
    • 20210211_072715.jpg
      20210211_072715.jpg
      8 MB · Views: 95
    • Internet_20210119_192811_9.jpeg
      Internet_20210119_192811_9.jpeg
      4.8 KB · Views: 95

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Specs

DESCRIPTION
    WARNING!: This item is legally classified as a receiver. You Must be 21 years old to purchase this item and a resident of the same state your transferring dealer is licensed in.
    The KP-15 is a monolithic polymer AR15 style receiver made from injection molded 30% glass filled nylon incorporating the buttstock, buffer tube, pistol grip, and trigger into the receiver design as integral components.
    This manufacturing process offers several advantages
    • Lighter weight compared to similarly configured receivers
    • Lower cost to similarly configured receivers
    • Increased production speed and elimination of sub components through integration; especially important during high demand cycles in the market.
    Features Include:
    • Compatibility with most common AR15 uppers and lower parts kits
    • Flared magwell to make reloads under stress easier to perform.
    • A1 Length 13” Length of Pull (LOP) Buttstock to fit a wide range of shooters
    • MLOK Slots at rear of stock for sling attachement points or run a strap through it for simple sling attachment
    • Holes at the front of the stock for QD socket inserts for more sling attachment options
    • Improved grip for comfortable use
    • “Winter” Trigger Guard
    Complete Mil-Spec FCG Lowers Include:
    • Mil-Spec FCG
    • KP-15 Optimized Selector
    • KP-15 Long Hammer Pin
    • Carbine Buffer and Spring
    • Buffer Detent Assembly
    • Mil-Spec Mag Catch Assembly
    • Bolt Catch Assembly
    • KP-15 Take Down/Pivot Pins
    • Buttplate
    Technical Information
    • The KP-15 receiver uses a Carbine buffer and spring. Do NOT use anything other than standard carbine buffers and round springs or the JP SCSS in the KP-15.
    • The Take Down and Pivot Pins have the detents built into them; eliminating the spring and detent holes in the lower increases durability.
    • The buffer detent (should you choose to use it) is held in place with a 5/64” Roll Pin
    • The KP-15 is compatible with all Mil-Spec Fire Control Groups
    • The KP-15 is compatible with cassette style match triggers including the KE Arms DMR and SLT units. The retention system of these triggers with D-Clips in the bushings to retain the fire control pins makes them better suited for use in the KP-15 than other designs that require captured pins.*
    • The hammer pin area is wider for durability; Standard AR15 hammer pins can still be used but we offer a longer hammer pin for customers preferring a flush pin for aesthetic reasons.
    • Safety selector spring and detent load from the top and then the selector is slid over them. Standard selectors can work but removing them can be particularly difficult. We recommend the use of our optimized mil-spec selector or optimized ambi selector to make removal easier. Follow our assembly guide for further instructions.
    • The KP-15 is compatible with standard AR15 uppers in calibers including .223/5.56mm NATO, .300 Blackout, 7.62x39mm, 6.5mm Grendel, 6.8mm SPC, .350 Legend; make sure you use the appropriate weight carbine buffer for your rifle to eject casings at 3:00-4:00.
    • The KP-15 is compatible with 9mm blowback systems with a 5.4oz carbine buffer minimum. Use heavier buffers as long as your gun can cycle reliably. Failure to use this minimum buffer weight can damage the lower.
    • Big Bores: .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .50 BMG: We will never test these calibers enough to guarantee function and durability over time; use at your own risk.
    Cerakoting: If you intend to have your KP-15 Cerakoted we recommend you use We Plead the 2nd as they are experienced in coating polymer receivers and have our authorization. The bake should be done at low temperatures (<190 Degrees F) and with an upper in place to prevent warping.
    Current KP-15 Mil-Spec FCG Instruction Sheet
    Warranty:
    The KP-15 has a lifetime warranty for normal use.
    Sling Attachment points wearing out is not grounds for a receiver replacement.
    If the receiver breaks through misuse or neglect, we will replace it ONCE for $65.00.
    Structural modifications including stock shortening and removal of material and dyeing the receiver void the warranty.
    If you intend to register your KP-15 as an NFA weapon test it thoroughly before doing so in a Title 1 Configuration. Once you Form 1 or Form 2 it, you are legally the manufacturer and we cannot service or support it as easily. Should your receiver require warranty replacement we can only replace it with a title I receiver and we are not responsible for tax stamps or NFA fees.
    *Match Trigger Compatibility.
    The front lower portion of the KP-15 fire control area has a radius. This is a fact of plastic design for mold release and strength. Some cassette style triggers with large housings that fill the entire fire control group may not fit. Do not force a cassette trigger into place; you may damage your receiver doing so.
    Known Compatible Match Triggers
    KE Arms DMR
    KE Arms SLT-1
    KE Arms SLT-2
    Fits But needs new hardware:
    Rise Armament RA-535 Fits into the fire control pocket, but will need a longer captured hammer pin.
    Known Incompatible Triggers
    Triggertech- Does not fit in fire control pocket; holes do not line up due to housing size.
    CMC- Does not fit in fire control pocket; holes do not line up due to housing size.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I posted my reply before you posted the specs on it. Way too many rules for me to abide by, would probably void the warranty because I would putz around with it way too much (momma always said if you play with it too much, you'll go blind)...lol. But, an A2 upper would give it that classic look. What upper do you plan to put on it?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Interesting side note, Colt originally wanted to build the m16 like this and some prototypes were built and command ultra high prices. For the time period they could not pull it off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom