• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So this past weekend I was toying around with building, yet another AR15. This time I wanted to do a skeletonized build and since I was doing that, I thought I would do a lightweight build with it. After running the numbers, I know that this project will not be done until 2022, if that. You will see the price tag below and know why.

The skeletonized upper and lower I chose is from War Dog Industries. I don't have hands-on experience with that company, but their skeletonized upper and lower look sick, so I said... "ehh, why not".

1607971269568.png

Here is the bottom line, price with weight.

Main
    PartManufacturerPriceWeight (.oz)
    UpperWar Dog Industry
    $129.00​
    8.20​
    LowerWar Dog Industry
    $189.90​
    6.50​
    BCGRubber City Titanium BCG
    $370.99​
    7.80​
    barrelFAXON Ultra Lightweight Pencil 16"
    $179.55​
    19.04​
    handguardBrigand Arms Blade Woven Carbon Fiber
    $350.00​
    5.00​
    stockMFT Minimalist
    $59.99​
    5.80​
    gripFuture Forged Cektor SG-2
    $79.99​
    1.20​
    Buffer TubeAndro Corp Industries
    $99.00​
    2.60​
    $1,458.42​
    56.14​

LPK
    Titanium Grip ScrewV7
    $7.76​
    0.11​
    SelectorV7
    $50.44​
    0.29​
    Castle NutV7
    $22.31​
    0.24​
    Trigger & Hammer PinsV7
    $18.43​
    0.08​
    Mag Catch/ReleaseV7
    $44.62​
    0.26​
    End PlateV7
    $32.98​
    0.25​
    TriggerELF
    $279.00​
    2.00​
    $455.54​
    3.23​

UPK
    SightsBobro Lowrider Sight Set
    $200.00​
    2.4​
    Forward AssistNA
    Ejection Port DoorNA
    Charging HandleV7
    $40.74​
    1.02​
    $240.74​
    3.42​

Summary:

PriceWeight (.oz)Weight (.lb)
    $2,154.70​
    62.79​
    3.92​

And, before all the haters come out. This is intended to be a fun, if I have some cash buy a part here-and-there, build. I ain't going into battle with this thing. If SHTF, I got other weapons that I can use for that....

You guys see the price tag, and I know that in a year or two the technology on light weight ar-15 parts may change, but for now, this is the parts list. If you guys can improve on the Price and the weight, please chime in.

Lastly, the final cost per ounce is $34.32.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Wow, that's gonna be bad ass. I used the new frontier cf lower on mine. Don't remember the weight. With normal parts I was able to reach 4.18 lbs. But need a mag, sight and liner comp. So 4.6. Was my final weight. Love the lightweight for dragging around the woods and blasting evil dirt clods. *** 3.65 oz on the cf lower.

Last edited:

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm probably going to strip down my existing LW build and use some of the parts I already have like some of the Titanium lower parts. I already got a skeletonized BCG. I pulled the trigger on the carbon fiber grip, gonna see if it is truly 1.2 oz. Hopefully, I can sweet talk the wife to an early Christmas present of the stripped lower or the stripped upper. But I have been a naughty boy this year with all my gun purchases, so I may get coal instead. lol

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd pop on the lower asap. What if the Republicans lose in Georgia? And what if Biden executive orders assault weapons away like Canada did? I'm not giving up a damn thing but itll be hard to buy

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have messed with some light weight parts and I guess Im just to rough on them and end up breaking stuff. I was just telling a friend the other night that Im done wasting money on parts that have major amounts of material removed from them. My misfortunes dont involve uppers or lowers just some of the other parts.

I'll still use pencil barrels and lightweight bolt carriers but thats about it. Not a big fan of plastic but it seems to hold up better than most aluminum parts. Ive even had a slim skinny muzzle break bend once that I had pinned and welded to a 14.5 barrel talk about a waste of time and money getting that setup and cerakoted just to have the muzzle break bend after falling over in the bed of my truck and start all over.

Be gentle with your creation is my .02

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The only 2 parts that I can see accidentally breaking or messing up is the Brigand carbon fiber handguard, but all reviews seem to say it is a solid feeling piece. The other part is the carbon fiber buffer tube. But like I said, I'm not too hard on my equipment.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I just got the Future Forged grip in. Without opening the box, it was pretty light, 3.8oz. The grip itself was unfortunately at 1.4oz (hoping it was as advertised 1.2 oz), but that is with the stock grip screw. I'm .2oz overweight already....

I like the look, and the grip has the same feel as 800 grit sand paper. I don't mind it though, I am planning on eventually cerakoting it anyway. Even though it is pretty light, I have been squeezing the snot out of it and it feels solid. Overall, I like it.

Reb....I bought the SI Latchless charging handle....we will see my friend.

Attachments

• IMG_1294.jpg
      IMG_1294.jpg
      133.4 KB · Views: 127
    • IMG_1295.jpg
      IMG_1295.jpg
      152.4 KB · Views: 132

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Here, lighter and free. Just turn granddaughter loose with dremel. Works great and still amazingly sturdy.
    That looks good Reb....Primary Arms has A2 grips from Radical Firearms for 99 cents....you should buy a boat load of them, have your granddaughter drill them out, I will cerakote air cure them and we can sell them on ArmsList for like $1000 a piece. We might be able to pay for that granddaughter's college fund.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    That looks good Reb....Primary Arms has A2 grips from Radical Firearms for 99 cents....you should buy a boat load of them, have your granddaughter drill them out, I will cerakote air cure them and we can sell them on ArmsList for like $1000 a piece. We might be able to pay for that granddaughter's college fund.
    Would be a good idea but she's in Japan right now. Jpyritz is very handy with the dremel. He does great work. I had him make an odg one for my Stoner build. Have to get it on there. They have a stipple on them that you will never lose your grip.

Attachments

• 20200605_122133.jpg
      20200605_122133.jpg
      664.8 KB · Views: 120
    • 20200629_212127.jpg
      20200629_212127.jpg
      2.4 KB · Views: 115

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Starting to take apart my existing lightweight build. I know that I can reuse some of the existing lightweight parts off of it. Right now the Radical Firearms handguard is only 7.9 oz without the barrel nut, so that might be OK to reuse until I can afford the Brigand Arms handguard. Also, I am going with the F-1 Firearms stripped upper, it is lighter than the War Dogs stripped upper, but more expensive. I had some OP bucks on Optics Planet and had a coupon code, so I pulled the trigger on it.

1609295025141.png

I got an Anderson Sport upper on the existing build now, it's pretty light, but I want a different look.

Top Bottom