• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Faxon barrel is the lightest out there i believe. 16 inch is 1.2 lbs - 10.5 is .9. I have both went with the 16 for more zip.
    Yeah, my existing lightweight build has a 16" Faxon Gov't/Socom. It weighs in at 21.9 oz (1.34 lbs). Just got done with a total strip of that build. Weighin all the parts individually I get 75.8 oz or 4.74 lbs. I think that I can probably hit closer to 4.5 lb or lower with a few minor changes.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Finally got the War Dog skeletonized upper and lower in yesterday. The fit and finish is excellent, there were reviews about the upper being out of spec for some other lowers (Optics Planet Review), but since I was buying the set it didn't matter to me. The anodizing looks nice and even. Outside of the look and feel of the set, there is one thing that I was disappointed in, the stripped upper is a PIG. I compared it to my existing lightweight build upper/lower and a PSA upper/lower. Just a quick thing, all the lowers are stripped but the PSA upper is stripped but needs to get a forward assist and ejection port cover installed.

Here are the numbers:

War Dog Set:
    Upper = 8.5 oz. ( Does not need Forward Assist and Ejection Port - PIG!)
    Lower = 6.6 oz. - acceptable

Existing Build:
    Upper (Anderson Sport - Doesn't accommodate for a Foward Assist and Ejection Door) = 6.6 oz.
    Lower (Fostech Lite) = 5.9 oz.

PSA:
    Upper (No forward Assist & Ejection Port installed) = 6.9 oz
    Lower = 8.6 oz

If you add it up, my existing upper/lower combination is at 12.5oz and the War Dog is a little less than a regular PSA upper/lower.

I would have liked to see the War Dog upper be in the 6-ish range, like the Anderson, but it is coming in at 8.5 which would probably be the same weight as the PSA if I installed the forward assist and ejection cover on it. So I am leaning towards rebuilding my existing LightWeight build with more lightweight parts to get it closer to a solid 4 lbs or even high 3's.

As for the War Dog set, I'm still going to put lightweight parts on it. Now, I just have to decide what caliber. I got 5.56 and 300 blackout rifles already, I'm leaning towards either 7.62x39 or go long range with 6.5 Creedmoor. But whatever cartridge I go with, this build is going to be called the WTF build.

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
      File_000.jpeg
      172.4 KB · Views: 137
    • File_000 (1).jpeg
      File_000 (1).jpeg
      211.8 KB · Views: 126

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Finally got the War Dog skeletonized upper and lower in yesterday. The fit and finish is excellent, there were reviews about the upper being out of spec for some other lowers (Optics Planet Review), but since I was buying the set it didn't matter to me. The anodizing looks nice and even. Outside of the look and feel of the set, there is one thing that I was disappointed in, the stripped upper is a PIG. I compared it to my existing lightweight build upper/lower and a PSA upper/lower. Just a quick thing, all the lowers are stripped but the PSA upper is stripped but needs to get a forward assist and ejection port cover installed.

Here are the numbers:

War Dog Set:
    Upper = 8.5 oz. ( Does not need Forward Assist and Ejection Port - PIG!)
    Lower = 6.6 oz. - acceptable

Existing Build:
    Upper (Anderson Sport - Doesn't accommodate for a Foward Assist and Ejection Door) = 6.6 oz.
    Lower (Fostech Lite) = 5.9 oz.

PSA:
    Upper (No forward Assist & Ejection Port installed) = 6.9 oz
    Lower = 8.6 oz

If you add it up, my existing upper/lower combination is at 12.5oz and the War Dog is a little less than a regular PSA upper/lower.

I would have liked to see the War Dog upper be in the 6-ish range, like the Anderson, but it is coming in at 8.5 which would probably be the same weight as the PSA if I installed the forward assist and ejection cover on it. So I am leaning towards rebuilding my existing LightWeight build with more lightweight parts to get it closer to a solid 4 lbs or even high 3's.

As for the War Dog set, I'm still going to put lightweight parts on it. Now, I just have to decide what caliber. I got 5.56 and 300 blackout rifles already, I'm leaning towards either 7.62x39 or go long range with 6.5 Creedmoor. But whatever cartridge I go with, this build is going to be called the WTF build.
    Very nice. The x39 has wayyyy more bump than the 5.56. (Torque) 6.5 creed is gonna need an ar10 upper/lower. 6.5 Grendel will work or 6.8 but the 6.8 has thump too. Might be the 224V due to the lower cost of ammo. ( hard to believe, huh?)
    I still think the anderson slick and the new frontier cf lower is the better option weight wise. +400 5.56 thru it so far with no issues.. just dont Torque the tube to 40ftb it will break it.. would like a totaly slick sided upper with dust cover only. Ymmv. I am looking forward to your build though. J

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Very nice. The x39 has wayyyy more bump than the 5.56. (Torque) 6.5 creed is gonna need an ar10 upper/lower. 6.5 Grendel will work or 6.8 but the 6.8 has thump too. Might be the 224V due to the lower cost of ammo. ( hard to believe, huh?)
    I still think the anderson slick and the new frontier cf lower is the better option weight wise. +400 5.56 thru it so far with no issues.. just dont Torque the tube to 40ftb it will break it.. would like a totaly slick sided upper with dust cover only. Ymmv. I am looking forward to your build though. J
    The New Frontier CF lower has been out of stock for a long time now. But looking at the specs, they have it listed as .506lb and if you do the conversion, it is still heavier than the Fostech lower I have. But your comment about the different calibers to look at is good. I considered the Grendel and 6.8, but didn't even look at the Valkyrie. Good thing I ain't your neighbor J. I would be poor and probably be kicked out of the house more times now....because of the gun stuff I would be buying off of your suggestions...lol

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The New Frontier CF lower has been out of stock for a long time now. But looking at the specs, they have it listed as .506lb and if you do the conversion, it is still heavier than the Fostech lower I have. But your comment about the different calibers to look at is good. I considered the Grendel and 6.8, but didn't even look at the Valkyrie. Good thing I ain't your neighbor J. I would be poor and probably be kicked out of the house more times now....because of the gun stuff I would be buying off of your suggestions...lol
    Naaaa, you'd be fine we could just swap toys. I like the 224v. Standard weight plinking ammo is 75gr. With sp fusion at 90gr. More zing than the 556 and more weight = more energy, speed. I would like to see what lighter bullets would do ?3000 fps?? Uses the same mags/bolt as the 6.8 so there's a good excuse to get one, lol. See it all works out!!

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Naaaa, you'd be fine we could just swap toys. I like the 224v. Standard weight plinking ammo is 75gr. With sp fusion at 90gr. More zing than the 556 and more weight = more energy, speed. I would like to see what lighter bullets would do ?3000 fps?? Uses the same mags/bolt as the 6.8 so there's a good excuse to get one, lol. See it all works out!!
    Always "Glass Half Full" kind of guy...I like that, however, I'm married to "Who in the hell, drank my water.." lol

Top Bottom