• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bakron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just for fun and info...
    Great read and it’s sad that those models were never allowed to be imported to the US. I think they would have been a hit. On a good note, the 42 is made in USA and supports American jobs.

bakron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glocks rule ;) and yes I too sold my subcompact Sig this past year. The safety kept coming off in my pocket. Something about how I sit in jeans I guess, I don't know, but it kind of freaked me out for being a single action only gun
    I agree on Glock and striker fired pistols
    in general, very safe for EDC and as you know, many law enforcement agencies and militaries have made striker fired pistols their standard sidearms.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree on Glock and striker fired pistols
    in general, very safe for EDC and as you know, many law enforcement agencies and militaries have made striker fired pistols their standard sidearms.
    What safety features do striker fired especially Glock pistols have that make them "very safe for EDC"?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With those redundant safety features I find it hard to understand why there are so many accidental discharges of Glock sidearms by Well Trained Professionals? The incident rate has increased over Old Time Heavy Double Action/Single Action revolvers. Now while it is faster to reload mag feed subcompact pistols, compared to subcompact revolvers, statistically the Old fashioned snub-nosed D/A Revolver has a lower percentage of accidental discharges. Perhaps all the subcompact semiautomatic pistols on today's market reflect a trend toward renewed use of subcompact snub nosed revolvers and not a "No love for subcompacts" situation? I mean, during lean times items that sell well and really ain't required may be exchanged for a couple of extra bucks in hand. (ie when was the last time you actually needed to reload your subcompact CCW to resolve a confrontation?) It's a bit less lucrative to sell a less than "COOL" D/A snub-nosed revolver on today's market. But realistically they are usually adequate performers. JMHO.

bakron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What safety features do striker fired especially Glock pistols have that make them "very safe for EDC"?
    They have a triple safety system that makes the pistol almost impossible to fire unless the trigger is pulled, even when dropped. You can go to the Glock site and read about it.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    statistically the Old fashioned snub-nosed D/A Revolver has a lower percentage of accidental discharges
    Because not many men carry a revolver nowadays, not because a revolver is safer than something else

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Because not many men carry a revolver nowadays, not because a revolver is safer than something else
    I'm not comparing just this year's statistics, I am discussing the statistics of the last 40 years. Glock came up with their safety system to more closely mimick the manual of arms of a Double Action Revolver while still maintaining the consistent trigger pull of a Single Action sidearm. But it may surprise you how many snub nosed revolvers are still in use today. Open a purse or two you may find it enlightening?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'm not comparing just this year's statistics, I am discussing the statistics of the last 40 years. Glock came up with their safety system to more closely mimick the manual of arms of a Double Action Revolver while still maintaining the consistent trigger pull of a Single Action sidearm. But it may surprise you how many snub nosed revolvers are still in use today. Open a purse or two you may find it enlightening?
    Oh no doubt... I carry my DA 642 occasionally, and my ex-wife has her S&W DA/SA rusting away in her purse, having not shot it in at least 10 years. I bought my 642 twenty years ago, and in that 20 years the population of America has literally doubled. Have $500-$800 revolver sales doubled? No... but $350 plastic fantastics sales have doubled and probably tripled

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Purse guns rarely leave the purse.

Striker fired handguns are here to stay. Glock, S&W, Ruger, HK, SIG, PSA.

Many can be had with a 'manual' safety if it floats your boat to be 'safe'.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh no doubt... I carry my DA 642 occasionally, and my ex-wife has her S&W DA/SA rusting away in her purse, having not shot it in at least 10 years
    Is it her fault or yours that her personal protection sidearm is so neglected? I'll wager the she has shared range time with you during the last ten years! Now I shall admit that there are a lot more "FUN GUNS" on the range to shoot than the subcompact CCW carried daily. LOL

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Is it her fault or yours that her personal protection sidearm is so neglected? I'll wager the she has shared range time with you during the last ten years! Now I shall admit that there are a lot more "FUN GUNS" on the range to shoot than the subcompact CCW carried daily. LOL
    Nope. Not once since at least 2014, and probably 2012, has she seen a firing line. And that's why she's an EX

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Purse guns rarely leave the purse.

Striker fired handguns are here to stay. Glock, S&W, Ruger, HK, SIG, PSA.

Many can be had with a 'manual' safety if it floats your boat to be 'safe'.
    Many a married man is happy to hear that purse guns rarely need to leave their purse. (Think that is goal?) Now doesn't the Hellcat which started this back during the OP have a manual safety option? Perhaps that is why an Old-timer like myself have one for CCW.

bakron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh no doubt... I carry my DA 642 occasionally, and my ex-wife has her S&W DA/SA rusting away in her purse, having not shot it in at least 10 years. I bought my 642 twenty years ago, and in that 20 years the population of America has literally doubled. Have $500-$800 revolver sales doubled? No... but $350 plastic fantastics sales have doubled and probably tripled
    I am 67 and have been carrying for many years and I also carried a few revolvers over the years. My favorite being my S&W Lew Horton Pocket Rocket 357 mag.

I loved that gun and it would hurt your hand after putting 25 rounds thru it at the range, but a very effective defense weapon.

But I will say that Glock, H&K and many other striker fired pistols of today are proven and reliable defense guns and is the reason so many police and military folks have made them their standard sidearms.

I know if and when I have to use my Glock in a defensive situation, it will always go boom. God willing, I never have to be placed into a situation that requires me to use lethal force.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that a joke? I doubt he gives A/F about his ex-wifes handgun... LOLZ.
    Just because she is a ex, that don't mean that he might not still be concerned. There are a lot of reasons that folks can't/don't stay together, but they usually don't have a thing to do with the feelings that joined them in the beginning. I'm concerned with the welfare of many folks I ain't married to currently, how about you? Bet she spent a little time with it on the range during the breakup, but perhaps it wasn't so bad that she made targets of Raven's face.LOL Or maybe it was? LOL

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Lets keep this on topic... I love my S&W 442 if going on a walk in the hood or quick trip to publix. Throw a speedloader in a pocket and I feel protected

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lets keep this on topic... I love my S&W 442 if going on a walk in the hood or quick trip to publix. Throw a speedloader in a pocket and I feel protected
    Sorry, it may be a bit loose, but I am attempting to stay within the topic of subcompact love. But expanding it to include subcompact revolvers didn't seem off topic to me, yet a little drift appears to be the normal during expansion. Is it OKAY?

bakron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope I am not off subject here, but I feel it’s worth mentioning. I was at the range today practicing with my daily carry and I started a conversation about concealed carry with a couple and I asked them how they liked their personal carry guns.

Both then proceeded to tell me they have never fired them!! I was shocked to say the least. I have been outspoken on many occasions about practicing and being proficient with your daily carry.

I know some folks don’t have much time with their busy schedules, but please find time to practice, god forbid you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to use lethal force.

But in this day and age, you never know with the way the world is today. I never leave the house without being armed and I pride myself on being prepared, if when a situation arises I have to use my weapon and I hope that day never comes.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope I am not off subject here, but I feel it’s worth mentioning. I was at the range today practicing with my daily carry and I started a conversation about concealed carry with a couple and I asked them how they liked their personal carry guns.

Both then proceeded to tell me they have never fired them!! I was shocked to say the least. I have been outspoken on many occasions about practicing and being proficient with your daily carry.

I know some folks don’t have much time with their busy schedules, but please find time to practice, god forbid you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to use lethal force.

But in this day and age, you never know with the way the world is today. I never leave the house without being armed and I pride myself on being prepared, if when a situation arises I have to use my weapon and I hope that day never comes.
    Perhaps it's folks that ain't ever discharged their subcompact sidearms that are flooding the market with the current "COOL" variants? I mean if you can't find time to have ever discharged or practice with a sidearm, is it really a requirement to have it when monetary issues come push to shove? You can always sell the current "Cool" stuff for a price closer to what you paid originally, and pick up tomorrow's even "COOLER STUFF" with whatever cash you pocketed today? If it ain't used, then it makes sense don't it? Just which one of the sidearms is a subcompact? The Hellcat or the Ivers Johnson break top revolver? They both fit on the white washcloth used for contrast. BTW: the 4 inch Barreled 38 IJ Break top was Grandpa's full sized service revolver during his time as a Pinkerton Agent. (Just a bit of history)

Attachments

• IMG_20221012_212356997.jpg
      IMG_20221012_212356997.jpg
      373.1 KB · Views: 23
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom