GOA suing FL over Open Carry Ban & Under-21 Carry Ban.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjenkins

Shooter
    I care very much about open carry. I typically carry owb with a big shirt on over it. Don't care about printing, my shirt is an added barrier so it's just a little bit more difficult to take it away. I'm also a fan of pocket carry. I've had a plethora of pocket guns over the years. It's still really weird for me that open carry is banned here. I've walked down the road with rifles in az and the cops don't even look twice.

DustyDog

Master

I still blame DeSantis.

By saying he would sign the bill either way... with or without an open carry provision, he gave the legislature cover to send him a bill minus open carry. After all, he said he would sign it either way, right?

This, in turn, gave DeSantis cover, since he could turn around and say "Well, this is what they sent me, so I have no choice but to sign it."

Typical political moves.

So, in essence, they did nothing, but made the people who heard on the Internet that open carry is never "tactically sound" and that it will always "make you a target"... i.e., the majority of gun owners, apparently... believe that they had done them a big favor. But we've had concealed carry since '87, and have been waiting ever since... almost forty years... for the other shoe... open carry... to drop.

Sure, you can carry concealed without a permit now, but who is going to ditch the permit when the only thing you "gain" is going back to having a three-day wait at dealers?

Now imagine if DeSantis had shown true leadership, and made clear that he would not sign any bill that didn't included an open carry provision. This would have put the onus on the legislature, giving them two choices: Either you do it right, or you don't do it at all, and face the subsequent music.

Instead, all the politicians covered their asses even as we were being screwed, ending up with "Woke Carry", designed supposedly to placate leftist tourists or something, along with satisfying people who parrot tactical opinions they heard on the Internet.

I explained this in two e-mails to DeSantis... as if anyone actually read them!

Last edited:

Miami_JBT

Expert
    I still blame DeSantis.

By saying he would sign the bill either way... with or without an open carry provision, he gave the legislature cover to send him a bill minus open carry. After all, he said he would sign it either way, right?

This, in turn, gave DeSantis cover, since he could turn around and say "Well, this is what they sent me, so I have no choice but to sign it."

Typical political moves.

So, in essence, they did nothing, but made the people who heard on the Internet that open carry is never "tactically sound" and that it will always "make you a target"... i.e., the majority of gun owners, apparently... believe that they had done them a big favor. But we've had concealed carry since '87, and have been waiting ever since... almost forty years... for the other shoe... open carry... to drop.

Sure, you can carry concealed without a permit now, but who is going to ditch the permit when the only thing you "gain" is going back to having a three-day wait at dealers?

Now imagine if DeSantis had shown true leadership, and made clear that he would not sign any bill that didn't included an open carry provision. This would have put the onus on the legislature, giving them two choices: Either you do it right, or you don't do it at all, and face the subsequent music.

Instead, all the politicians covered their asses even as we were being screwed, ending up with "Woke Carry", designed supposedly to placate leftist tourists or something, along with satisfying people who parrot tactical opinions they heard on the Internet.

I explained this in two e-mails to DeSantis... as if anyone actually read them!
    The issue is with Gov. DeSantis is he doesn't care. He's been mum on 2A issues in the state unless publicly pressed after being pushed into a corner on it. No independent political initiative on his part.

He didn't care during his first term in office that the Republican Supermajority legislature under two different leaders killed a real Constitutional Carry bill.

He only supported it for two reasons.

1. We got him on video at an event where he made a statement to one of us. And he made that statement thinking we were just everyday nobodies. But we weren't and instead, we released it to the media. Which put him in the spotlight on a position.

2. He needed a 2A win for his 2024 presidential campaign. I hammered his office back in January 2021 that I knew he'd run in 2024. And if he doesn't pass true Constitutional Carry before then, he'd lose the Republican primary since he talks tough, but FL is weak on 2A legislation.

The end results of that was that he made quid pro quo deals with the current legislative leadership (who's outgoing) for possible positions in a White House Administration that never came to be.

Additionally, when we released footage to the media of DeSantis making statements to us. His office would deny, deny, deny, until the footage was actually released.

DeSantis, like everyone else in office will not move the needle unless pressured to.

That's where I come in.

We've made it an issue and lawmakers will only do the bare minimum. As you saw with permitless concealed-only carry. That was the bare minimum. The thing is, I push for the maximum. I know lawmakers won't do the maximum. But I don't give up.

We'll get open carry one way or another here in Florida.

I'll just continue to make their lives a living hell.

Right now, incumbent Republican lawmakers are running and campaign for reelection. They're championing that they're pro-gun. But now, with this lawsuit hanging over them like the sword of Damocles. They have to now explain how they're pro-gun, while at the same time explaining why they keep killing pro-gun bills.

From what I hearing, Tallahassee is pissed at me for this. My response is "good, put up or shut up."

The Governor's Office, the AG's Office, various Representatives and Senators aren't happy, etc.... all because it makes them look bad.

Heck, the AG is stating she's pro-gun and helped fight against Minnesota's under 21 carry ban. Well, now she's in a pickle. Does she defend FL's under 21 ban? Or does she make a statement it is unconstitutional? Because Minnesota for her was easy, it didn't effect FL. It was political campaigning with no negative fallout in FL. But now, now she's between the rock and a hard place.

And that, that is how we win.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Try it in city limits 500 feet from a high school, get back to me
    I had a similar problem shooting a high powered pcp pellet rifle near a school. Because it cracked they thought I was shooting a rifle. Solution, bought a can for it. No more calls/ deputies showing up. Luckly no "street judge" officers showed up.

DustyDog

Master
    The issue is with Gov. DeSantis is he doesn't care. He's been mum on 2A issues in the state unless publicly pressed after being pushed into a corner on it. No independent political initiative on his part.

He didn't care during his first term in office that the Republican Supermajority legislature under two different leaders killed a real Constitutional Carry bill.

He only supported it for two reasons.

1. We got him on video at an event where he made a statement to one of us. And he made that statement thinking we were just everyday nobodies. But we weren't and instead, we released it to the media. Which put him in the spotlight on a position.

2. He needed a 2A win for his 2024 presidential campaign. I hammered his office back in January 2021 that I knew he'd run in 2024. And if he doesn't pass true Constitutional Carry before then, he'd lose the Republican primary since he talks tough, but FL is weak on 2A legislation.

The end results of that was that he made quid pro quo deals with the current legislative leadership (who's outgoing) for possible positions in a White House Administration that never came to be.

Additionally, when we released footage to the media of DeSantis making statements to us. His office would deny, deny, deny, until the footage was actually released.

DeSantis, like everyone else in office will not move the needle unless pressured to.

That's where I come in.

We've made it an issue and lawmakers will only do the bare minimum. As you saw with permitless concealed-only carry. That was the bare minimum. The thing is, I push for the maximum. I know lawmakers won't do the maximum. But I don't give up.

We'll get open carry one way or another here in Florida.

I'll just continue to make their lives a living hell.

Right now, incumbent Republican lawmakers are running and campaign for reelection. They're championing that they're pro-gun. But now, with this lawsuit hanging over them like the sword of Damocles. They have to now explain how they're pro-gun, while at the same time explaining why they keep killing pro-gun bills.

From what I hearing, Tallahassee is pissed at me for this. My response is "good, put up or shut up."

The Governor's Office, the AG's Office, various Representatives and Senators aren't happy, etc.... all because it makes them look bad.

Heck, the AG is stating she's pro-gun and helped fight against Minnesota's under 21 carry ban. Well, now she's in a pickle. Does she defend FL's under 21 ban? Or does she make a statement it is unconstitutional? Because Minnesota for her was easy, it didn't effect FL. It was political campaigning with no negative fallout in FL. But now, now she's between the rock and a hard place.

And that, that is how we win.
    Bingo, bingo, BINGO.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Screenshot-20240906-194907.png

A Labor Day weekend glass bottle attack of two Pennsylvania students wearing yarmulkes has prompted Rep. Randy Fine, R-Brevard, to renew his pledge to file legislation to repeal Florida’s “gun-free zone” for state college and university campuses.

Fine’s pledge comes in the wake of gun activists filing a federal lawsuit in South Florida to have Florida’s open-carry ban declared unconstitutional, and after Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Republican Legislature earlier this year eliminated a requirement for a concealed weapon permit to carry firearms in public.

Gun Owners of America, which filed the lawsuit, said this year's changes in Florida gun regulations did not go far enough and criticized DeSantis for not pushing for further expansion of Second Amendment rights.

Florida joins 18 states in prohibiting firearms on college campuses.

DeSantis quietly signed the permitless carry bill last year, and the 2024 legislative session was the first since 2016 a campus carry proposal did not get a committee hearing.

DeSantis has told groups like Gun Owners of America he would support open-carry legislation, which would include campus carry, but gun rights advocates have been disappointed he has not pushed the issue with more force.

Last session, Senate President Kathleen Passidomo held the line on open-carry after talking to the Florida Sheriff's Association.

“The sheriffs who I deeply respect, who are in the business, who understand the issues, do not support open carry in the state of Florida,” Passidomo said.

A question on whether Senate President designate Ben Albritton would take a similar tact is pending with his office.

Florida is among 18 states that prohibit firearms on college campuses.

“Even though Florida claims to be the freest state in the nation it prosecutes Floridians who want to openly carry firearms,” said Valdes of Gun Owners of America.

The group endorses the campus carry bill Fine is writing.

“It’s appalling that the states that border Florida have campus carry but Florida does not,” Valdes said.

DustyDog

Master
    If I did an "Open vs. Concealed-carry" video, this is what I would sound like... except for the Cuban accent :D

Top Bottom