• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recondo 101

Expert
    I did arrange today for a Carrier AC Contractor to come by and price out a new central AC unit install, tomorrow for my 1,800 sq ft shop building, old off brand unit died for the one too many times...I am wore out with that mess in 98/98 weather. No doubt the R&R of a 3 ton unit will smart, But the old unit will be gone so I can get back to work in the shop more than a couple of hours at a time.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    sent a few with the new MTR

I let 2 get away so there is 8 in the 10 ring. It is hard to get them in the same hole when you shoot out the X dot that was the hold.
    IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

This one^ is just a 5 shot group but I still think I need to tighten up one more nut and it will shoot good. That 10 ring is between 5/16 & 3/8" best I can tell.

We went through a bunch of ammo last weekend to see what shot the best. We weren't able to get the machine and speed in Eley Match that we were shooting but it was available in Tenex and snagged a couple of bricks and split it. We also got some S-K Rifle Match that is very close to this in speed and everything except headspace. We have shims ordered for the bolt to bring the headspace in a little better with Eley.

We cleared up a few more small issues, recoil lug was making it rock a little so we took .030 off and now there isn't any pressure. It was also making a small dent in the stock where it sits. I also changed out the trigger with a Timney straight bow and got it set to 2.5# (match requirement) and it will adjust down to 4oz if needed.

Last edited:

B52

Master
    Confirmed zeros on two rifles this am, a Rem 700 youth and a Ruger 77, both in the fantastic ,243 Win. Both have put a good bit of meat in the freezer over the years.

The 700 youth is a great tree stand rifle being nice and compact. It was my son's first rifle, and he's stack up quite a few bucks with it. The first year I allowed him to hunt on his own he was 11 years old. He killed two bucks one evening and another to following am, all from the same stand.

Over the past fifteen years or so I've hunted mostly with an AR15, this year, I feel a little nostalgic and broke out the bolt guns. Not parking the AR's for the entire season, but I'll tote one of the ,234's on opening week.

My son is grown and "gone" now but at least with the 700 youth I feel a connection in the stand.
    Why does the top photo look like you were hunting at night? I thought only varmints IE: hogs could be hunted at night. Keep in mind I have never hunted in FL.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Why does the top photo look like you were hunting at night? I thought only varmints IE: hogs could be hunted at night. Keep in mind I have never hunted in FL.
    doesn't look unusual to me...just looks like a morning and evening hunt...gets dark earlier during deer season and it may have taken longer to recover both of those for pictures.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Alot of folks in a club will wait till dark before recovering, so as not to ruin someone else's chances of getting one. Also while your waiting for dark the deer bleeds out without being spooked and running farther away. And you never know what else may show up. I've seen bucks attack a downed deer. ( other bucks) it's crazy.

Daezee

Master
    Krag carbine front sight blade arrived today. With my wife holding the carbine, it was relative easy to install the blade. The auction photos showed what could be rust or dried grease. It was dried grease and came off with Hoppes. Now to determine new sight settings. See the tiny “C”? Carbine blades were marked, as their specs differed from a rifle blade due to the different distance between the front and rear sights. Rifle blades were not marked. The holding pin looks real recessed…it isn’t as much as it appears…I had to shine a light on it from an angle to take the pic. Here’s also a better pic of the 1901 cartouche.

IMG_0318.jpeg
    IMG_0319.jpeg

Bowhntr6pt

Master

The deer were shot just before legal quitting time, by the time I got down from my stand, made my way to my son’s stand, gathered the deer, set up for pics, it was in fact dark.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Thursday I shot about 300 rounds through the G17 with the red dot. Good fun, but it was basic stuff. I ordered two cases of 9mm and a "go-fast" holster that I'm throwing on my competition belt so between dry fire and stretching out the ammo for four or five weeks I will see where I am. Because there has been some discussions about it, I bought the 9mm from Palmetto State Armory on a Labor Day sale. It was (will be, it's not here yet) delivered for about 26 cents per round. CCI Blazer brass case 124 grain FMJ.

On a side note, because the G17 will not ever be my primary competition gun I went a bit cheap on the holster setup. Part of that is I needed a holster that was a "competition" holster that would accommodate a red dot and a TLR7, and part of it is I just wanted a gun bucket to practice out of for a few months without being crazy expensive. Now that it's here I wish I had come off of the extra $50-100 for a better one. I forgot my own advice, which is "buy once, cry once."

Last edited:

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Yesterday I sold a pistol to an out-of-state friend, and I took it to Oak Ridge Range to be shipped to his FFL. I'm sure that others are probably very familiar with this process, but in all of my years, it was a first for me. I was surprised at how easy and inexpensive it was...$35 plus insurance (if wanted) of $1.50 per hundred, and they even box it up. Like I said, probably a routine happening for others but I was impressed.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Yesterday I sold a pistol to an out-of-state friend, and I took it to Oak Ridge Range to be shipped to his FFL. I'm sure that others are probably very familiar with this process, but in all of my years, it was a first for me. I was surprised at how easy and inexpensive it was...$35 plus insurance (if wanted) of $1.50 per hundred, and they even box it up. Like I said, probably a routine happening for others but I was impressed.
    It really is pretty easy and opens you up to many more possibilities for a sale other than just locally at the neighborhood WalMart

TK5o

Master
    Thursday I shot about 300 rounds through the G17 with the red dot. Good fun, but it was basic stuff. I ordered two cases of 9mm and a "go-fast" holster that I'm throwing on my competition belt so between dry fire and stretching out the ammo for four or five weeks I will see where I am. Because there has been some discussions about it, I bought the 9mm from Palmetto State Armory on a Labor Day sale. It was (will be, it's not here yet) delivered for about 26 cents per round. CCI Blazer brass case 124 grain FMJ.

On a side note, because the G17 will not ever be my primary competition gun I went a bit cheap on the holster setup. Part of that is I needed a holster that was a "competition" holster that would accommodate a red dot and a TLR7, and part of it is I just wanted a gun bucket to practice out of for a few months without being crazy expensive. Now that it's here I wish I had come off of the extra $50-100 for a better one. I forgot my own advice, which is "buy once, cry once."
    What holster did you get?

ABlaster

Marksman
    What holster did you get?

Black Scorpion Gear. I really like the aluminum attachment point. Super solid, adjustable cant, screws are decent, but bizarrely the included Allen tool doesn't fit the screws and it buggered them up a bit. My disappointment is the Kydex. It's thin, feels flimsy, and there is no flare at the top so re-holstering requires some finesse. The edges haven't been buffed so they are all sort of sharp. Not like "cut you right away" sharp, but it could use refinement. I'm also concerned that if it flexes without a gun in it that it might crack.

Attachments

• IMG_7423.jpg
      IMG_7423.jpg
      507.7 KB · Views: 10

TK5o

Master
    Black Scorpion Gear. I really like the aluminum attachment point. Super solid, adjustable cant, screws are decent, but bizarrely the included Allen tool doesn't fit the screws and it buggered them up a bit. My disappointment is the Kydex. It's thin, feels flimsy, and there is no flare at the top so re-holstering requires some finesse. The edges haven't been buffed so they are all sort of sharp. Not like "cut you right away" sharp, but it could use refinement. I'm also concerned that if it flexes without a gun in it that it might crack.
    I use a blackhawk t series when I shoot steel challenge. Not the fastest draw, it has a thumb release. But its great practice because if I was open carrying I would definitely have something with retention.

ABlaster

Marksman

This is what I use for OC, so that base is covered. What I wanted was something I could make a ton of presentations with coming from a holster that wouldn’t wear out my thumbs on the retention mechanisms in a 20-30 minute dry fire session. Also, I plan on shooting some local USPSA matches in Carry Optics division and I wanted a competition holster. If I decide to shoot CO more seriously I will get a different gun (probably a G34).

Daezee

Master
    With my correct front sight blade now on the Krag carbine, I made a quick range trip to check the impact point. As suspected, it shot higher than before, as the carbine sight blade is shorter than the commercial front sight blade it replaced. Specifically, 2 5/8" high at 35yd with the rear sight as low as it would go (100yd setting). No surprise based upon reading results of other Krag owners. This was with my mild cast bullet load.

Windage wise, I was only able to get the impact point within a half inch of aiming point. The Model 1901 rear sight has windage marks (like the '03 Springfield), with each mark being equal to approximately 6" at 100yd or 2" at 33yd (if I read my 1901 manual correctly). I tried, but to move the rear sight windage to equal 1/2" at 35yd in-between the lines proved elusive. Back and forth I went and gave up for now.

B52

Master
    With my correct front sight blade now on the Krag carbine, I made a quick range trip to check the impact point. As suspected, it shot higher than before, as the carbine sight blade is shorter than the commercial front sight blade it replaced. Specifically, 2 5/8" high at 35yd with the rear sight as low as it would go (100yd setting). No surprise based upon reading results of other Krag owners. This was with my mild cast bullet load.

Windage wise, I was only able to get the impact point within a half inch of aiming point. The Model 1901 rear sight has windage marks (like the '03 Springfield), with each mark being equal to approximately 6" at 100yd or 2" at 33yd (if I read my 1901 manual correctly). I tried, but to move the rear sight windage to equal 1/2" at 35yd in-between the lines proved elusive. Back and forth I went and gave up for now.
    Is there Swiss sight (for the rear sight) adjusting tool version for the Krag? Some kind of pusher tool.

Daezee

Master
    Is there Swiss sight (for the rear sight) adjusting tool version for the Krag? Some kind of pusher tool.
    No. In fact the sights on earlier Krags had no windage adjustment possible, but are held onto the bbl via two screws. Later windage adjustable rear sights were developed and installed, sometimes retroactively installed.

Top Bottom