• ...and so much more!
  • G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    I boxed up one of my holosun 509t for a trip to the mother ship... failed after around 2k rounds. The one on my G45 is fine after 1k ish rounds including 300 or so on Fri. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure! First issue with any of the 6 holosuns I currently have.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I boxed up one of my holosun 509t for a trip to the mother ship... failed after around 2k rounds. The one on my G45 is fine after 1k ish rounds including 300 or so on Fri. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure! First issue with any of the 6 holosuns I currently have.
    How did it fail? Full disclosure: I'm biased towards iron sights. But I have owned a Holosun on a Glock before

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Went out to the range with a guy I have known since college. Got him shooting a Glock 17 and then some ARs before he shot some subsonic 300BO.

Discovered:
    1. I need a heavier buffer in my fun .223 rifle. (midway will be getting more of my money this week)
    2. My Vortex Crosfire keeps dying after a few shots - I need a new optic for that .223 pistol
    3. The 110 Grn 300BLK reloads hold a 2 inch group out of a 10.5 pistol standing at 50 yards - @Daezee
    4. My 9mm reloads shoot just fine (Is there a limit to the number of times you can keep cleaning brass and reloading it?)

Attachments

• IMG_8307.JPG
      IMG_8307.JPG
      506.5 KB · Views: 57
    • IMG_8309.JPG
      IMG_8309.JPG
      377.6 KB · Views: 51

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Deer hunting!!! No bucks though, crap. Then drop tested the x39, dammit. 10 foot drop. Will have to check out after I get home in December.
    It's just been a bad week for optics. My dad and sister both got deer this weekend in Wisconsin, but my red dot on a bolt action 12 gauge I shot my first deer with decided to give up the ghost too.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    It's just been a bad week for optics. My dad and sister both got deer this weekend in Wisconsin, but my red dot on a bolt action 12 gauge I shot my first deer with decided to give up the ghost too.
    I try to always get the etched reticle ones. Don't trust the dots. On heavy recoiling weapons take the screws on the mount off and blue lock tight em from the get go. Had two spitfire 3x work loose, 450B.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Acquired another Ruger New Model Blackhawk 4 5/8ths,chambered in 41Rem Mag.
    Got a good deal from a great forum member.
    Gun is in 92-95% with NO blueing wear or rust.
    The gentleman took great care of this weapon.
    Just like the gun that I killed my first hog with except that one was a three screw.
    Took another NEF single bbl shotgun apart and shortened stock and made into easy open action (bbl drop and eject). >>>Brian<<< ??
    Now 31 inches OAL with a 12.2 inch LOP and a 18.2 inch bbl.
    Throwing a reload of my 1.5oz of #8 shot,will cut a 5 ft cottonmouth into three pieces
    Great off season thick cover scouting carry gun. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Acquired another Ruger New Model Blackhawk 4 5/8ths,chambered in 41Rem Mag.
    Got a good deal from a great forum member.
    Gun is in 92-95% with NO blueing wear or rust.
    The gentleman took great care of this weapon.
    Just like the gun that I killed my first hog with except that one was a three screw.
    Took another NEF single bbl shotgun apart and shortened stock and made into easy open action (bbl drop and eject).
    Now 31 inches OAL with a 12.2 inch LOP and a 18.2 inch bbl.
    Throwing a reload of my 1.5oz of #8 shot,will cut a 5 ft cottonmouth into three pieces
    Great off season thick cover scouting carry gun. ---- SAWMAN
    I really like mine 20ga. Perfect size, just don't shoot turkey loads!

Attachments

• 405771_4654114504668_1722057895_n.jpg
      405771_4654114504668_1722057895_n.jpg
      81.8 KB · Views: 62

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Received case of 4800 rounds of Swedish 6.5x55 wooden bullet ammo. A friend on his out west trip stopped at J&G in Arizona and picked up 3 cases, 1 for him, 1 for me and 1 for another member. Without him picking it up, the shipping is rather cost prohibitive, as 4800 rounds in their wood boxes is about 90kg. We have 4.5 cents in each round.

Now, what does one do with it? 1) Pull the wooden bullet and discard it. 2) Keep the powder and repurpose it (it has a burning rate close to Unique, so good for pistol reloading and moderate cast bullet rifle reloading; start low and work up of course). 3) Reload the non corrosive berdan primed case and don't worry about saving the subsequently fired brass. The other member will be using the brass in his 42B, which really flings the brass making it harder to find when he uses boxer primed brass.

One can't really get primers for 4.5 cents now. Pulling 4 bullets and weighing the powder, I got an average of 22.2gr per round. (4800 x 22.2) / 7000 = 15.2 pounds. In U.S. military ammo, normally the blank powder used is very fast burning and one wouldn't dare use it for propelling a bullet. The Swedish powder ((Gevärsexerciskrut 1 (rifle practice powder 1)) is like a pistol or shotgun powder. The brass has a slight crimp at the mouth; my Lee expander die will remove that easily. Basically, with your labor, you get the powder for free.

I know, I know, this use of wooden bullet ammo is a bit strange....

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Received case of 4800 rounds of Swedish 6.5x55 wooden bullet ammo. A friend on his out west trip stopped at J&G in Arizona and picked up 3 cases, 1 for him, 1 for me and 1 for another member. Without him picking it up, the shipping is rather cost prohibitive, as 4800 rounds in their wood boxes is about 90kg. We have 4.5 cents in each round.

Now, what does one do with it? 1) Pull the wooden bullet and discard it. 2) Keep the powder and repurpose it (it has a burning rate close to Unique, so good for pistol reloading and moderate cast bullet rifle reloading; start low and work up of course). 3) Reload the non corrosive berdan primed case and don't worry about saving the subsequently fired brass. The other member will be using the brass in his 42B, which really flings the brass making it harder to find when he uses boxer primed brass.

One can't really get primers for 4.5 cents now. Pulling 4 bullets and weighing the powder, I got an average of 22.2gr per round. (4800 x 22.2) / 7000 = 15.2 pounds. In U.S. military ammo, normally the blank powder used is very fast burning and one wouldn't dare use it for propelling a bullet. The Swedish powder ((Gevärsexerciskrut 1 (rifle practice powder 1)) is like a pistol or shotgun powder. The brass has a slight crimp at the mouth; my Lee expander die will remove that easily. Basically, with your labor, you get the powder for free.

You could sell the powder for $30 a pound...

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the flucuations of temperature in my "man cave" this time of year, I was wondering what the relative humidity might be in my safe. I have a dehumidifier, but how actually humid is it in there? I bought a hygrometer and put in the safe. A cooler temperature outside the safe and warmer air inside has the reverse effect of the sweat on a drink can...moisture forms. The guidelines said the humidity should be between 40% and 60%. Too low could dry out the wooden stocks and grips, and, too high, of course could cause rust and mildew or mold. Then there is the question of a proper temperature. It seems there is a balancing act...sort of like herding cats. Still working on this

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

J+G got a ton of my business about 10-15 years ago. I love them. I bought my first PSL for $1,000 from them and my first Glock (a $330 police surplus 22C) from them, along with several versions of Makarovs for like $100 a piece and oh man tons of steel cased x39 and 9x18 ammo. Love J+G for some good surplus! Can't touch any one of those Maks for less than $450 nowadays. I should have kicked back like 20 of them!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Weapons detail to clean the pistols I took to SRSC.

View attachment 138494
    What's that one on bottom? I miss my matching pair of 659's I had in Maine. Polymer guns can't hold a candle to the craftsmanship in an old Smith. I sold the 659's when I couldn't find a Camp9 worth it's salt to share mags. The Camp9 was the only PCC I could ever get my wife to like, but the one example I found for her was a jam-o-matic. I'm holding out for an M1 Carbine in 9mm to have her try... I just missed one here, I know

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

So Daezee and I met up at my property this morning and I was instructed to bring the chrono.

After Daezee is done testing his loads. He gets out @shootnstarz M1A and some loads he made for us to test out. We are wondering why it's not cycling. After inspecting the M1A found that it was missing the gas piston. Either way it was a fun morning.

w4y8lTa.jpg

sLyTn6F.jpg

QGqWQSw.jpg

T4ywWpk.jpg

2dQieG6.jpg

4jrKR0V.jpg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I've made it a point to not embarrass shootnstarz...he's a big strong guy, but this was too good to pass up. Like kendive said, shootnstarz's M1A was not cycling semiautomatic . He'd loaned me a hard to find bullet mould, and I asked if I could do something in return. (Some bullet casters would rather loan out their significant other than loan a good bullet mould.) He asked me to test some of his reloads, accuracy and velocity. I asked for his M1A so we'd know what the loads are doing in his rifle. kendive met me and brought his Lab Radar chronograph that makes it easy to test groups and velocity at the same time.

M1A wouldn't cycle. Turned the gas valve the opposite direction just in case I'd forgotten the right setting, and still no function. Didn't have the proper grease with me, but did have some heavy duty gun oil. Still no functioning. Took rifle apart and found he'd not put back in the gas piston when last cleaning the rifle. Hope he didn't lose that part.

Note the brass catcher set up to catch the brass...it wasn't needed today.

Now on to my testing of Swedish wooden bullet gun powder.

It's supposed to be about like Unique. Still, I started low at 9.5gr with 140gr cast bullet. Velocities are average of 5 shots. Target set at 31 yd to help minimize aiming/holding error with my eyes.
    9.5gr = 1154 fps
    10gr = 1220.25 fps
    10.5gr = 1254.4 fps
    11gr = 1304.2 fps (5 shot extreme velocity spread was 9 fps!)

No groups were bad, but 11 gr was the best. With rear sight set on 300 m, it hit 3" high at 31 yd. Tomorrow I'll shoot with sight at 200 and 100 m to get impact point closer to aim point at close ranges. Need to see how that load works with other rifles.

Some of the wooden bullet ammo has spots of corrosion, and some has none. I just take a pocket knife and knock off any corrosion so it doesn't potentially scratch the chamber. In the below pic there's a spot in the black below the group. It was simply a dent in the black label, not a bullet hole. Also shown is a round with nice smooth brass and one with corrosion showing.

6829037C-C1E2-4EEA-A034-8E6255BBACD3.jpeg

Top Bottom