• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is what I was told. :)

It looks beautiful and Im looking forward to running some ammo through it. (Once I find some good ammo - Most everything seems to be corrosive)
    Nice looking rifle, Congrads... looks like the receiver vacationed on the Volga Mitchells style.

I have been wanting a Mitchell's for a bit.. That looks nice.. Get the extras with it???

Hey run corrosive through it.. Before you got it the Germans did.. The Russians who picked that up did..

A Simple cleaning the barrel with a wet sponge will take away all the bad.

Hey you may look for a box of Mitchell's Mausers ammo.. they are in a cool box..

1635712180969.png

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Got my newfangled Holosun sighed in on a new AIM Surplus Glock slide. Think I worked out most of the cerakote lockup tightness while I was at it. First pistol dot. Pretty neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

It looks beautiful and Im looking forward to running some ammo through it. (Once I find some good ammo - Most everything seems to be corrosive)

pick up some Publix glass cleaner and you can shoot corrosive ammo - just spray down liberally afterward, scrub, spray again, and then clean and oil.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    pick up some Publix glass cleaner and you can shoot corrosive ammo - just spray down liberally afterward, scrub, spray again, and then clean and oil.
    Now there are several way to skin a cat and I would not want anyone to change their cat skinning techniques if they work for them. But just plain water will do.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nice looking rifle, Congrads... looks like the receiver vacationed on the Volga Mitchells style.

I have been wanting a Mitchell's for a bit.. That looks nice.. Get the extras with it???

Hey run corrosive through it.. Before you got it the Germans did.. The Russians who picked that up did..

A Simple cleaning the barrel with a wet sponge will take away all the bad.

Hey you may look for a box of Mitchell's Mausers ammo.. they are in a cool box..

View attachment 135592
    The gentleman who sold me the rifle gave me two boxes of their ammo - they do look pretty cool. :)
    I have spent the evening (when not answering the door with candy) looking for a sling, bayonet and anything else cool that would go with it.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The gentleman who sold me the rifle gave me two boxes of their ammo - they do look pretty cool. :)
    I have spent the evening (when not answering the door with candy) looking for a sling, bayonet and anything else cool that would go with it.
    Seriously, those darn boxes are pretty fantastic and I have grown to love the Mitchel's Mausers head stamp on the rounds. Very Very nice

photos of the ammo would be nice also. :)

They had some great ads for them in the day

1635745179093.png

1635745293686.png

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Grey Man Armory on Stewart Street has noncorrosive 8mm Mauser every time I go in there. Plentiful supply, so no reason to give yourself and your family mercury poisoning from the corrosive ammo. Every time you pull that trigger there's an aerosoled cloud of mercury in your face. And then it's all over your range gear and your truck. Also no reason to risk rusting up everything else in your collection. I had a buddy who used some corrosive French 7.5mm, cleaned it well so he thought, got his cleaning equipment mixed up, and used some of the corrosive contaminated stuff on his M9... and completely rusted it shut by the time he looked at it again some time later. Don't risk it. You have a nice rifle. New Mausers cost like $10,000. Keep it nice with good noncorrosive ammo

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Looking at accessories is half the fun of it! I know a guy who is big on Mauser collecting and has several tables full of milsurp stuff at every show, if you need help

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I was told that Mitchell's was caught a years ago refurbishing mausers and piecing them together from parts, as the supply dried up. Not bad on a shooter, but a questionable practice on a collectable. And now they're all collectable. Have an expert look at it to see if it's been reblued or the stock refinished or has reproduction hardware

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Grey Man Armory on Stewart Street has noncorrosive 8mm Mauser every time I go in there. Plentiful supply, so no reason to give yourself and your family mercury poisoning from the corrosive ammo. Every time you pull that trigger there's an aerosoled cloud of mercury in your face. And then it's all over your range gear and your truck. Also no reason to risk rusting up everything else in your collection. I had a buddy who used some corrosive French 7.5mm, cleaned it well so he thought, got his cleaning equipment mixed up, and used some of the corrosive contaminated stuff on his M9... and completely rusted it shut by the time he looked at it again some time later. Don't risk it. You have a nice rifle. New Mausers cost like $10,000. Keep it nice with good noncorrosive ammo

Thanks for the info on the Mercury. Definitely bad stuff! That will make me pass on the corrosive ammo.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Each of us must live with with our own worries and concerns. But Mercury in primers pretty much went out with the Black Powder days. Even then any heath concerns would be more directed to you reloaders out there. But ammo having corrosive primers does not mean it has Mercury..

If interested, this story is a hell of a read.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a great short little video on cleaning corrosive ammo. Also to show off a nice Enfield. I think the best thing the guy said was just check the day after. Sometimes you miss a spot.

Bolt actions are perfect for any corrosive ammo cleaning. Semi auto guns pose a bit of a challenge with the gas systems.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wish they would have used. 357 bullets on that, big mistake I think.
    RR , update for you . I bought some Winchester cases and tried them today . About half of the rounds I loaded won’t chamber , when I measure them they vary by 2 or 3 thousandths. So if you wanted to use Winchester cases then you’d have to either size the bullets down or buy .355 bullets to start with. I’m using starline cases with .357 bullets with out any problems. That’s probably what I’ll continue to do. I’m getting pretty good accuracy out of the 180 grain XTP bullets I’m using , and the main reason I bought the 350 legend was to shoot pistol bullets at subsonic velocity. It seems that as long as I use starlime cases every thing works as it should.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Tested cast bullet loads in my new-to-me M1903A3. Found what I think it likes and will shoot more of that load tomorrow to verify. Basically, I start at 15gr 2400, increasing by .5gr up through 16.5gr for most full size modern bottleneck cartridges. Normally, something in that range will shoot good. In this case the best was 15.0gr, and that is what I'll shoot more of tomorrow. If I see the groups shrinking as the powder charge is increased, I'll go higher in charge (sometimes I have to go lower). For example, my Swedish M94/14 did best with 17.0gr. If nothing is good enough, I try other powders. If nothing is good there, I try another bullet or diameter or hardness. I haven't failed yet, and it's fun.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Tested cast bullet loads in my new-to-me M1903A3. Found what I think it likes and will shoot more of that load tomorrow to verify. Basically, I start at 15gr 2400, increasing by .5gr up through 16.5gr for most full size modern bottleneck cartridges. Normally, something in that range will shoot good. In this case the best was 15.0gr, and that is what I'll shoot more of tomorrow. If I see the groups shrinking as the powder charge is increased, I'll go higher in charge (sometimes I have to go lower). For example, my Swedish M94/14 did best with 17.0gr. If nothing is good enough, I try other powders. If nothing is good there, I try another bullet or diameter or hardness. I haven't failed yet, and it's fun.
    How many rounds do you load for testing? Powder charges, bullet weights.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Depends on time, bullets and brass on hand. Today was only 4 different loads totaling 27 rounds. Having loaded cast for multiple 30/06 military bolt guns, I have a very good idea of should work. I then load more of the best and shoot more.

Different guns, different goals, different procedures. An antique with no provision for adjusting windage may need testing with different powders to not only shoot good groups (that was easy), but to shoot to the sights (that took some doing). That’s how I came to use 7383 in a Martini 303. 7383 is an obscure surplus powder used in the spotter rifle attached to the 106 recoilless. It was designed to run with a max pressure of no more than 38,000 psi. It does not play well with higher pressures.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Depends on time, bullets and brass on hand. Today was only 4 different loads totaling 27 rounds. Having loaded cast for multiple 30/06 military bolt guns, I have a very good idea of should work. I then load more of the best and shoot more.

Different guns, different goals, different procedures. An antique with no provision for adjusting windage may need testing with different powders to not only shoot good groups (that was easy), but to shoot to the sights (that took some doing). That’s how I came to use 7383 in a Martini 303. 7383 is an obscure surplus powder used in the spotter rifle attached to the 106 recoilless. It was designed to run with a max pressure of no more than 38,000 psi. It does not play well with higher pressures.
    Who would ever think the type of powder could affect windage ( left-><-right) movement of the bullet. Is it because of the speed of the bullet and the twist of the rifling? Whooo do I have alot to learn. I also plan on reloading for the ruger rifle in x39 at some point. Still in the collecting all the needed parts and consumables. I'll start a thread in the reloading forum at some point.

Top Bottom