• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    Formed a good amount of blackout an cleaned a huge amount of brass.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    I finished trimming almost 400 pieces last night. Also just got my jig in from Squirrel Daddy to cut the brass. Had been using a Drexel tool. Will be priming today along with some load development and assembling my upper. Next weekend I should have some time to shoot with the chrono.

Rapier

Marksman
    Filed Form 1 eform today for a new to be built suppressor.

ksenter

Master
    ordered a rail to replace my shot out piece on the 6.8. Cleaned up the Fortis rail from what was usable and hit it with some touchup and blended it all together. I'll get some pictures up soon, it looks really nice.

Performed one of the "$35 trigger job" on my AR pistol including bobbing the hammer, polishing the working surfaces, JP springs, and Joe Bob trigger adjuster grip screw.

Went ahead and bobbed and polished another trigger group getting ready to put the 6.8 back together. I have another set of springs and adj. screw for the 5.56 carbine as well.

This morning, I tore apart my Recce. I am replacing the Radical Firearms barrel with a new Compass Lake Eng./Douglas 16" 1/8 polished stainless steel barrel, stainless steel gas block, a matched bolt, and a new Advanced Armament Corp. non-suppressor compatible FH. When I went to remove the S&W FH from the Radical barrel, I noticed the barrel was turning. It was loose from the barrel extension. This would explain the poor accuracy I was getting. Since I wanted to salvage the ODIN gas block and gas tube, I ended up cutting off the barrel just behind the FH in order to get the gas block off. Now, I am just waiting on the new barrel.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    So you did not need the new barrel just needed to tighten the original?

So you did not need the new barrel just needed to tighten the original?

I had already planned to replace the barrel. It was cheap and I figured I would give it a shot. Fortunately, I am not out a lot of money. I have never bought a barrel where the barrel extension broke loose. The Recce will now have a high quality barrel that will give me the accuracy I am looking for.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Well at least it made itself easy to remove...good luck

Seanpcola

I need to attend a basic gunsmiting course. I don't mean anything to make me qualified to do big things, just time spent with someone in the know breaking down ARs, maybe a 1911 and a few other systems then putting them back together slowly a couple of times. I can break down my XDs, Mossberg 500 and a few other pistols but I don't think I service my ARs right. I don't even want to tackle a1911.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I need to attend a basic gunsmiting course. I don't mean anything to make me qualified to do big things, just time spent with someone in the know breaking down ARs, maybe a 1911 and a few other systems then putting them back together slowly a couple of times. I can break down my XDs, Mossberg 500 and a few other pistols but I don't think I service my ARs right. I don't even want to tackle a1911.

Be brave. YouTube can teach you lots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

We can talk a little about them next Saturday at the luncheon.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    I had already planned to replace the barrel. It was cheap and I figured I would give it a shot. Fortunately, I am not out a lot of money. I have never bought a barrel where the barrel extension broke loose. The Recce will now have a high quality barrel that will give me the accuracy I am looking for.

Radical had issues with them a while back. The melanite process heats it up again after they affix the barrel extensions. I would send it back to them. I'll try to find the article, but it was on AR15.com

Hope it helps.
    Doc

Radical had issues with them a while back. The melanite process heats it up again after they affix the barrel extensions. I would send it back to them. I'll try to find the article, but it was on AR15.com

Hope it helps.
    Doc

The barrel is toast now. I had to cut part of it off. Not worried about it, but thanks.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Last night I put together and FDE upper from parts I've been gathering for a couple months. I should have the FDE stripped lower to match by the end of the week.

I used an Odin Works KMod 15.5" FDE rail for it and I really like it, so far. It's lightweight, not too large of a diameter, easy to install, plus I like having the ability to add rails/accessories using the keymod system. It's so lightweight that I may need to re-think the UBR stock I have set aside for the rifle and go with another BMS Minimalist stock. I'm liking the idea of having a lightweight, versatile rifle as a backup for my comp gun and just as a multipurpose rifle. I'm even thinking of ditching the new CF handguard I got for my comp gun in favor of another Odin forend. Choices, choices!

madeSICC88

Master
    Did you ever get that ghost lower swapped out or figured out?

Full FDE rifles are pretty sweet, been thinking about spraying my pistol in some FDE, or sell it for a Remington 700. Can't decide.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Did you ever get that ghost lower swapped out or figured out?

Full FDE rifles are pretty sweet, been thinking about spraying my pistol in some FDE, or sell it for a Remington 700. Can't decide.

Yeah, I told TNArmsCo just to give me a refund. I then used that refund to get a couple Aero stripped lowers, including the FDE one that's going to go with the upper I mentioned.

On the FDE note, the Odin forend doesn't quite match the Cerakote on the upper, but it's close enough that I'm not worried about it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I like Primary Arms and Joe Bob Outfitters. They generally have good sales and fast shipping. For example, today I placed an order with Joe Bob's at noon and I just got a notification that it has shipped.

madeSICC88

Master
    Never ordered anything from Joe bobs but have ordered a few things from Primary and have had the same experiences. Same with AIM surplus.

Top Bottom