• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    What tools do you need to polish? Is there a good tutorial? My trigger on my AR pistol is pretty bad and have thought about trying to polish it. But I don't have the stuff im sure

For what I'm currently doing, I'm using 400, 800, and 1000 grit sandpaper, followed by felt wheel in a Dremel with polishing compound.

For an AR trigger, you can accomplish a lot with polishing compound and a felt wheel on a Dremel or drill. Just remember, you want to smooth out the metal, not remove it. My schedule is pretty full right now, but I'll be happy to help you out with it sometime soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

bohica793

Master
    Went to range early before the Daphne PD boys were supposed to be out there. Figured out my ammo problem but it appears I have a gas problem as the bolt is not cycling enough to feed the next round nor lock the bolt back after the last round. This is with both factory and hand loads, so I know it is not weak rounds. Iron sights are off by about 2-3 feet low so I will have to figure out how to adjust that as well. Back to the workbench.....

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Went to range early before the Daphne PD boys were supposed to be out there. Figured out my ammo problem but it appears I have a gas problem as the bolt is not cycling enough to feed the next round nor lock the bolt back after the last round. This is with both factory and hand loads, so I know it is not weak rounds. Iron sights are off by about 2-3 feet low so I will have to figure out how to adjust that as well. Back to the workbench.....

Do you know for a fact that it's undergassed? I certainly believe you, but I've seen those same symptoms from an overgassed gun that required an H2 buffer to run correctly. The bolt was cycling so fast that the magazine didn't have time to push the next round up in time.

bohica793

Master
    Do you know for a fact that it's undergassed? I certainly believe you, but I've seen those same symptoms from an overgassed gun that required an H2 buffer to run correctly. The bolt was cycling so fast that the magazine didn't have time to push the next round up in time.
    I would think overgassed would still lock the bolt back on empty mag, but this one is not doing that either which says to me that the bolt travel is not long enough. I have pulled the gas block and tube to check and verify them. All was well and correct. Gas key is tight and properly staked. I pulled the buffer and spring just to make sure I didn't have a rifle pair instead of a carbine set. The spring itself is about a half an inch longer than what I read is spec but I would not think that would make that much difference. I relubed everything and am going to just work the action a while to see if smoothing it our some will alleviate this.

Film at 11. Updates as they happen.

bohica793

Master
    The more I think about this, the more I think you may be correct. The buffer in it currently is a standard carbine buffer (~2.9oz) and the buffer may be moving too fast. Ordering an H2.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    The more I think about this, the more I think you may be correct. The buffer in it currently is a standard carbine buffer (~2.9oz) and the buffer may be moving too fast. Ordering an H2.

I'd let you try one out, but I sold the gun that had it a while back. Did you go with the full auto bcg?

Another thought is an adjustable gas block ought to fix whatever problem you're having and might not be much more than an H2 buffer would cost.

madeSICC88

Master
    yea i would look at a adjustable gas block too, or get a h3 buffer, if you have that and a carbine buffer you can make a h2 with the weights from both of those.

Skippy02

Marksman
    I'm no expert but with regards to the aforementioned build, personally and with experience with those gas blocks, if they aren't dead on, you'll get under gassing quite easily and I'm speaking from experience. Check it very closely to make sure it hasn't been slipped on to far or canted during tightening of the 2 set screws on the bottom.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413489236794.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1413489236794.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 132

madeSICC88

Master
    For what I'm currently doing, I'm using 400, 800, and 1000 grit sandpaper, followed by felt wheel in a Dremel with polishing compound.

For an AR trigger, you can accomplish a lot with polishing compound and a felt wheel on a Dremel or drill. Just remember, you want to smooth out the metal, not remove it. My schedule is pretty full right now, but I'll be happy to help you out with it sometime soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    that would be cool, i was reading about hand polishing and some people mentioned getting those fingernail blocks women use that had the different pads on them to buff nails. might try on of those since my dremel is about 2k miles away.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    that would be cool, i was reading about hand polishing and some people mentioned getting those fingernail blocks women use that had the different pads on them to buff nails. might try on of those since my dremel is about 2k miles away.

I would stay away from emory boards. For an AR trigger, you won't need much abrasive. If you decided to go with sandpaper, I would go with 1000 to 2000 grit laying on a piece of glass or other very flat surface.

madeSICC88

Master
    The post i read about them said to skip the rough side of the board and use the buffing pads, they arent quite grit like. but yea i wouldnt use anything to harsh.

bohica793

Master
    I'd let you try one out, but I sold the gun that had it a while back. Did you go with the full auto bcg?

Another thought is an adjustable gas block ought to fix whatever problem you're having and might not be much more than an H2 buffer would cost.

Yes I used the full auto BCG. Adjustable gas block will be last resort. Gonna get the H2 and go from there.

madeSICC88

Master
    what! you dont go to the nail shops and get your toe nails done?

Ive been the only man in the house since i was a kid. i know about all that shit.

bohica793

Master
    I'm no expert but with regards to the aforementioned build, personally and with experience with those gas blocks, if they aren't dead on, you'll get under gassing quite easily and I'm speaking from experience. Check it very closely to make sure it hasn't been slipped on to far or canted during tightening of the 2 set screws on the bottom.

The gas block is matched up and secure so I am really starting to believe I am overgassed. We'll find out.

Dan1612

Master
    Yes I used the full auto BCG. Adjustable gas block will be last resort. Gonna get the H2 and go from there.

I'll still bet it's the gas system, what kind of block is it, and how is it secured?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    what! you dont go to the nail shops and get your toe nails done?

I can't say that I do.

Are you going to be able to make it to IDPA this Sunday?

The gas block is matched up and secure so I am really starting to believe I am overgassed. We'll find out.

I've shot some very weak handloads and I've never had a problem with the bolt not traveling far enough back.

Top Bottom