• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Yep... my 200 yd. distance is "rimfire-only" due to the backstop... it's on an island (though my 100 yd. and less backstops are rock-solid)... so I really need to win the lottery or find a range where I can do centerfire @ 300. May have to check out Steelfield, since my Mini will do this @ 100 w/M193 (7 shots/2" dot), which is not its favorite, but enough to make a penny nervous:

View attachment 499832
    I shoot at bay county on steelfield,I they have a 300 yard steel plate but you must first qualify on the 100 yard range . I only shoot there when the weather is much cooler

DustyDog

Master
    I shoot at bay county on steelfield,I they have a 300 yard steel plate but you must first qualify on the 100 yard range . I only shoot there when the weather is much cooler
    What size plate @ 300? Like a standard silhouette?

Miami_JBT

Expert
    I was spoiled with Talon Range and Bowhntr6pt's property when I lived in the Big Bend area. Prior to that, it was Trail Glades or Markham Park. Both were equal distance to me from Hialeah.

Now, I go to Indian River's public range in Fellsmere.

DustyDog

Master
    I was spoiled with Talon Range and Bowhntr6pt's property when I lived in the Big Bend area. Prior to that, it was Trail Glades or Markham Park. Both were equal distance to me from Hialeah.

Now, I go to Indian River's public range in Fellsmere.
    Trail Glades! What was the name of the (cranky :)) rangemaster that was working there in the late '80s/early '90s? He was also a rep or something for Simmons?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    It is nice to have a private place to tarin and shoot...

50/100 yard line...

200 yard line with platform...

300 yard line with platform...

500 yard back stop...

These are older pics and the berm has held up quite well considering the amount of classes I've done and hosted.

Also the area is secluded to shooting at night with NODS and/or Thermal won't cause problems.

DustyDog

Master
    imho every range i ever shot on has one thats over the top and one that is cool
    Yep... they have to be.

Once, he was dealing (from the booth) with some dumbass who would turn around, pointing his pistol at the booth, every time the RM addressed him over the PA. He finally yelled:

"You turn around and point that pistol at me one more time and I'm going to shoot your ass!" :)

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Yep... they have to be.

Once, he was dealing (from the booth) with some dumbass who would turn around, pointing his pistol at the booth, every time the RM addressed him over the PA. He finally yelled:

"You turn around and point that pistol at me one more time and I'm going to shoot your ass!" :)
    i will rate him cool

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Trail Glades! What was the name of the (cranky :)) rangemaster that was working there in the late '80s/early '90s? He was also a rep or something for Simmons?
    I vaguely remember a crank range officer from back then. I was a kid then, so I mostly listened to my Dad. I also remember the farm off Krome Ave and SW 117th St. It backed up to the canal that started the Indian Reservation.

dkg080491

Shooter
    I vaguely remember a crank range officer from back then. I was a kid then, so I mostly listened to my Dad. I also remember the farm off Krome Ave and SW 117th St. It backed up to the canal that started the Indian Reservation.
    Was to young when I lived in South FL to have gotten into any shooting yet, I saw you mention Krome ave though and it brought back memories of exploring the old abandoned "insane asylum" out there. Good times.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Was to young when I lived in South FL to have gotten into any shooting yet, I saw you mention Krome ave though and it brought back memories of exploring the old abandoned "insane asylum" out there. Good times.
    That place had different stories. An "insane asylum", an "abandoned orphanage", and my favorite, a "Nike Missle battery site."

Whatever it was, it made a great place for paintballing.

DustyDog

Master
    That place had different stories. An "insane asylum", an "abandoned orphanage", and my favorite, a "Nike Missle battery site."

Whatever it was, it made a great place for paintballing.
    Oh, and, re: "The good old days"... remember Matix and Platt? The FBI Shootout?

Reason #101 for having a backyard range:

NO SHIT: They were known to have used a certain type of vehicle... if I recall correctly, a specific color (I believe it was a white Ford?) pickup truck. Well, my friend and I were going way out in the boonies, on the edge of the Everglades near Homestead (literally nothing to the West), to do some target practice (he had a Desert Eagle .357, and I probably my S&W 459) not long before they were killed in the shootout.

The road up ahead did a dog-leg... 90-degree right turn, followed maybe a few hundred feet later by a 90-degree left... after which there was a totally desolate road filled with old appliances, etc. on the west shoulder, perfect for target practice... and what do we see make the first turn up ahead? (we were following behind the vehicle about 100 yds. back, but didn't really think about it until it turned) YEP... An exact-match vehicle!

Stupid us, we went on red alert (i.e., Condition Red) , and continued through the dog-leg, but didn't see the vehicle after that. Even worse! Where did they go? Or maybe my white, windowless, 3/4-ton cargo van looked like a potential unmarked cop (maybe even SWAT : ) vehicle, and they hauled ass... or hid?

Can't recall if we went ahead and set up to shoot, but if we did, it was with four eyes peeled! Although I can't imagine us being that brave... or is it stupid... most likely we just did a pass-through and headed home via a different route. Anyway, check out these quotes from the Wikipedia article about them; can't be sure if we saw that suspicious vehicle before, after, or in-between these incidents... basically, it was right around the same time:

"On October 5, 1985, Platt and Matix murdered 25-year-old Emilio Briel while he was target shooting at a rock pit. The pair stole Briel's car and used it to commit several robberies. Briel's remains were found in March 1986 but not identified until May."

AND

"On March 12, they robbed and shot Jose Collazo as he was target shooting at a rock pit, leaving him for dead and stealing his black 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, but Collazo survived the shooting and walked three miles to get help."

May have been a CLOSE CALL for US!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

Last edited:

B52

Master

The 2023 Florida Statutes
    600x3_gradient.gif

Title XLVI
    CRIMES
    Chapter 790
    WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
    View Entire Chapter
    790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.
    (2) Any occupant of any vehicle who knowingly and willfully discharges any firearm from the vehicle within 1,000 feet of any person commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (3) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly directs any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (4) Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:
    (a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;
    (b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or
    (c) To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm.
    History.—s. 1, ch. 3289, 1881; RS 2683; GS 3626; RGS 5557; CGL 7743; s. 1, ch. 61-334; s. 745, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 78-17; s. 1, ch. 89-157; s. 229, ch. 99-245; s. 77, ch. 2012-7; s. 3, ch. 2012-108; s. 1, ch. 2016-12.
    I the cops or AG's don't know anything about the 790. So even if you are following the 790. Cops will still arrest you.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    I the cops or AG's don't know anything about the 790. So even if you are following the 790. Cops will still arrest you.
    The vast majority of 790 is written as exemptions under an affirmative defense. Meaning you can legally be arrested and you have to prove in court you were qualified one of the listed exemptions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom