• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Looking at building a .22 charger with 4.5 inch barrel. To be used with the switchback 22 can in various lengths.
    Suggestions, tips, tricks?
    Right now trying to figure out weather to buy a complete pistol 8 inch oem or just buy the action.
    Found a complete action with free shipping, new for $219. 4.5 inch acculite threaded barrel is $130+. So total, less stock is $349+30 ffl. So $369+. Cheapest I've seen the 8 inch charger is $319+30ffl+ ship. $349+?

I was thinking that buying piece meal might end up being the same $ or hopefully less doing it this way as I don't have extra parts left over. ( factory stock and 8 inch barrel.)
    Still would have to find a stock with buffer tube adaptor. ( I think I have a blade or sb3??, sold some stuff recently and forget) whatever stock, chassis i get would have to have room for the can to fit in it.
    Aftermarket stocks are all over the place, from $45 (3d) to $245 aluminum.
    Looking to build lightest and shortest as possible. Will use 507gr for optic.

Looking for input.?
    I know some of you have built them already.

Some pix to get an idea what I'm thinking.

BeardedGunner.jpg
    Screenshot_20240912_170622_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240912_171009_Samsung Internet.jpg
    h4pye1zem2771.jpg
    Fatboy2-1080x563.jpg

Last edited:

Recondo 101

Expert
    I am sure you know that once a pistol always a pistol unless it gets on paper as a rifle. A pistol can have any length of barrel but as with the TC Contender, if you put a rifle stock on it and a barrel under 16" you can get into trouble. So, a stock and a 16" barrel plus the pistol setup would be in order if you wanted to do such. Without a SBR registration.
    The SS 10/22 actions that are listed as any or a pistol that are both threaded and slide in for a barrel are best for an accuracy build, as you can screw in a match barrel for best stability. Have run up on one of these, "Charger Conversions" in a handgun silhouette match. They are very impressive as to the accuracy, with a match barrel and match ammo.

Klugey1

Shooter
    I am sure you know that once a pistol always a pistol unless it gets on paper as a rifle. A pistol can have any length of barrel but as with the TC Contender, if you put a rifle stock on it and a barrel under 16" you can get into trouble. So, a stock and a 16" barrel plus the pistol setup would be in order if you wanted to do such. Without a SBR registration.
    The SS 10/22 actions that are listed as any or a pistol that are both threaded and slide in for a barrel are best for an accuracy build, as you can screw in a match barrel for best stability. Have run up on one of these, "Charger Conversions" in a handgun silhouette match. They are very impressive as to the accuracy, with a match barrel and match ammo.
    "I am sure you know that once a pistol always a pistol unless it gets on paper as a rifle."
    This isn't quite right. It is a little confusing, so I'll try to simplify. It's actually 'once a rifle, always a rifle'. If you buy a rifle with a 16+ inch barrel, you can not put a pistol brace and sub 16" barrel on it without going through the SBR process.

You can buy an AR configured as a 'pistol', and then you can put a 16+ inch barrel on it, then put a 'stock' on it, and it becomes a 'rifle' - but you MUST do it in that order. Don't put the stock on it while the sub 16" barrel is on it without having approved SBR paperwork.

Then, you can change the 'rifle' back to the the original pistol configuration at will with no paperwork whatsoever. Just make sure you do it in the correct order. Remove upper and stock first, then you can put your pistol components back on.

A little off the subject, but still related -
    I have several SBRs and annually file 36+ form 5320s to move them across state lines to various addresses. If I happen to be going to an address not on my 5320s, then I simply put a pistol brace on the SBR, and it becomes a pistol. No paperwork needed. The only caveat is I do not put vertical foregrips on anything that might be converted to a pistol.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Roger that. I have another "pistol" too. Dug deep onto the law on them. Looking at the specific marked charger reciever to avoid any trouble. This one is light, suprisingly accurate and fun.
    20230303_112636.jpg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    What are the details on the one in the first pic? I like it.
    Probably a $2600 boat gun (total cost).. crazy. Looks like all aftermarket parts.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom