• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    You can get a roku box and download any app you want. The roku will run about $35-$40 at walmart. One time fee. And they have a ton of free apps

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I had Mediacom for several years for internet, landline and TV. I paid $160 per month. Then one month I opened my bill and it was $305. I went to their office and the lady said I was on a special plan and it’s over.
    I asked her if she could do anything and she said I hafta call their customer retention number. So I did and they didn’t really care to keep me as a customer unless I paid at least $285 per month.
    I started doing some research. I bought a 55 miles GE antenna from Walmart. It’s just a plastic box that I sit in the window sill. I get 42 channels on it of which about 10 I actually watch.
    I also bought a Roku from Walmart for $30.
    My wife is all about Hallmark & HGTV. I’ve gotta have the Heroes & Icons channel, History and INSP.
    Philo was perfect for us at $25 per month. It has all the channels we really want and a lot more.
    We got internet thru AT&T at $50 per month.
    We discovered free Samsung TV.
    So I have more than I can watch for $75 per month, including internet.
    I don’t get ESPN or any sports but the only sports I care to watch is FSU football. I figure if it’s a big game it will be on network TV and I get that on the antenna. If not, oh well, I don’t know any of those guys anyway.
    Meanwhile, I get cards from Mediacom every week trying to get me back as I do from PNJ and Sirius XM.
    I guess they never heard the old axiom that it’s easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I had Mediacom for several years for internet, landline and TV. I paid $160 per month. Then one month I opened my bill and it was $305. I went to their office and the lady said I was on a special plan and it’s over.
    I asked her if she could do anything and she said I hafta call their customer retention number. So I did and they didn’t really care to keep me as a customer unless I paid at least $285 per month.
    I started doing some research. I bought a 55 miles GE antenna from Walmart. It’s just a plastic box that I sit in the window sill. I get 42 channels on it of which about 10 I actually watch.
    I also bought a Roku from Walmart for $30.
    My wife is all about Hallmark & HGTV. I’ve gotta have the Heroes & Icons channel, History and INSP.
    Philo was perfect for us at $25 per month. It has all the channels we really want and a lot more.
    We got internet thru AT&T at $50 per month.
    We discovered free Samsung TV.
    So I have more than I can watch for $75 per month, including internet.
    I don’t get ESPN or any sports but the only sports I care to watch is FSU football. I figure if it’s a big game it will be on network TV and I get that on the antenna. If not, oh well, I don’t know any of those guys anyway.
    Meanwhile, I get cards from Mediacom every week trying to get me back as I do from PNJ and Sirius XM.
    I guess they never heard the old axiom that it’s easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.
    Yep, mediacom can buzz off, we got it too for a few more days. Then gone as well as direct ripoff TV. I've got over 500 dvds of "crap" I enjoy. I just like movies WHEN I have time.

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Roku or SmartTV and you install the apps you use for the content you watch/pay for. We haven't had anything but that since 2010 & is only better now with so many options. However, that means we have to pay closer attention to what we subscribe to because $5 or $10 a month per service can add up.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Roku or SmartTV and you install the apps you use for the content you watch/pay for. We haven't had anything but that since 2010 & is only better now with so many options. However, that means we have to pay closer attention to what we subscribe to because $5 or $10 a month per service can add up.

Well we needed a bigger TV anyway. I like the Vizio ones

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Well we needed a bigger TV anyway. I like the Vizio ones
    We just used Roku boxes until a year or so ago. Now we have a Samsung TV. It works fine. The functionality is basically the same as roku but the big advantage is a single remote.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The problem with smart tv’s (unless they have changed) is that they are rarely given updates by the companies and become slow. The roku boxes i have are self updating and do it regularly

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The problem with smart tv’s (unless they have changed) is that they are rarely given updates by the companies and become slow. The roku boxes i have are self updating and do it regularly
    Agreed. It can depend on the brand of TV and how important the app company feels it is to their customer base. Roku is huge so it will stay updated for sure.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It's been a few years ago but I got a Roku, started setting it up and only got to where they wanted a ph.# , and an e mail address. At that point it went back in the box and back to the store. I've been told that they changed that.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We dropped MediaCom almost 15 years ago and went with an OTA antenna and Century Link for internet. Just under $80 for internet and Amazon Prime plus bought a Vizio smart tv with more free apps than I need or can watch.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    We dropped MediaCom almost 15 years ago and went with an OTA antenna and Century Link for internet. Just under $80 for internet and Amazon Prime plus bought a Vizio smart tv with more free apps than I need or can watch.
    Smart. We got the Tmobile portable internet $50. Basically a wireless router, plug in and go anywhere. Two plugs x31? And wifi. Been testing it now for 3 days. So far so good can stream and use tablets, phones with only 2 bars of signal. Better than the hard wired mediacrap. As long as the cel towers work we're golden. If the towers fail we probably have more important tasks to be doing anyway.

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People still pay to watch TV? I make it a point not to pay since they all decided to take part in the destruction of American culture. At least amazon and paramount are dirt cheap, if your going to pay, though you'll probably have to watch commercials.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    People still pay to watch TV? I make it a point not to pay since they all decided to take part in the destruction of American culture. At least amazon and paramount are dirt cheap, if your going to pay, though you'll probably have to watch commercials.
    So far no commercials yet on Amazon prime or Netflix. Discovery + you have to pay another $2 a month. Don't have it yet

Top Bottom