• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A few months ago I bought a brand new Savage B22 Precision to use at benchrest competition. Great gun with an excellent adjustable solid aluminum billet chassis, great trigger and reputation for excellent accuracy. First trip to the range it shot good but not great, had more flyers than I expected but chalked it up to having to find ammo it liked. Next range trip was about the same with 3 other types of ammo. Next trip it started shooting not quite as good as the first few trips and had a few failures to extract. Long story short after trying over a dozen brands of ammo and 3 different scopes it was now having as many flyers as good shots. It didn't matter if I used cheap bulk pack ammo or $20+ match grade ammo. It also was not extracting almost every round. Tried cleaning many times, very thorough inspection and saw nothing. Finally decided to send it back to Savage. I called them before shipping and was told get it to them UPS, on my dime, or to be more accurate on my $71.00. They said it would be there for up to 3 weeks which was not bad, having no other choice I sent it in.

After about 2.5 weeks I called to see the progress and was told they had been closed the full week of July 4th so they considered it only there 1.5 weeks. Ok, I can see that so maybe I would be without it for 4 weeks instead of 3, no problem. 4 weeks and 3 days after they received it, I called again. Now was told it had gone to a gunsmith the day before and was still being worked on. I waited another week without hearing a word from Savage. Called today (5 weeks and 4 days after they received it) and was told the gunsmith had determined the rifle was not repairable so they were going to send me a brand new one. The bad news is they do not have any at the Massachusetts factory since the "Precision" model is made in Canada and they don't know when they will get one to send me.

What could make a brand new rifle that had absolutely no damage become not repairable by the factory after less than 1,000 rounds through it? Seems to me if it had a bad receiver that could be replaced, same with barrel, bolt or anything else. Sounds strange to me. Also aggravating they can't even tell me when I'll see a new one and who knows if the new one will shoot properly. I would rather have had one gone through by a qualified gunsmith and made to shoot right than taking a crap shoot on another one off the assembly line.

Before I bought this gun I did lots of research and really had a hard time choosing between this and a CZ. Only problem with the CZ was to get one with a precision chassis was many hundreds more. Could get one with a basic stock for a similar price but I wanted an adjustable chassis style of gun. I also preferred buying from an American company, I knew the chassis was made by MDT in Canada but thought the gun was American made. I read many good things about accuracy on both so went with the one from the American company and that had the chassis I liked. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the CZ...

Sorry for the long post but just had to vent. :mad:

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Very annoying. Did you at least find a scope you liked?

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Had a savage for F class. Can’t ever own another. Generally they are not bad, but they are also not good. It’s almost like every part is a compromise.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What a shame some firearms manufactures have become. Other than a Glock, I haven't bought a commercial firearm in years because now days you just can't depend on reasonable service.

EDIT- I saw on the news Canada is moving to ban pistol imports, probably not long from now they won't import or export anything.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    That's terrible. Thought savage was better than that, especially considering yours is a higher end rifle. Hope I don't have any trouble.
    I picked up an mk2 SV-SR off the forum. Probably the 3rd or 4th to have it. Stuck a BEC 24x scope on it. Dinged up, wear, grip cap gone etc. No issues other than the comb being ridiculously short. Shoots great, dirt clods hate it! I haven't had time to benchtest it. Seems to be pretty accurate.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    After quite a bit of research I picked up a Rossi RB 22M bolt action in .22 mag. It has been the best $165 I have spent in a long time, great shooter, surprising smooth (much smoother bolt than my Savage .17 hmr I previously!) It is a tack driver at .22 mag ranges!

Attachments

• Rossi RB22M.JPG
      Rossi RB22M.JPG
      371.8 KB · Views: 57
    Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Did you learn from Savage why it's not repairable? I would insist on knowing. I think it's important for Savage to know they are solely responsible for the product they put in the market place. Savage is responsible for the whole enchilada including the $71 you already paid to ship it to them. IMO. If it's not determined to be shooter error or mistreatment than they're responsible.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    After I saw the first "Made in China" stamping on a Savage I was done with them. I so long for an "American Made" riflescope again.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did you learn from Savage why it's not repairable? I would insist on knowing. I think it's important for Savage to know they are solely responsible for the product they put in the market place. Savage is responsible for the whole enchilada including the $71 you already paid to ship it to them. IMO. If it's not determined to be shooter error or mistreatment than they're responsible.
    The girl I spoke to doesn't know or want to give much info at all. She claims all she has is a note from the gunsmith saying it's unrepairable. I agree that Savage is responsible for everything including and especially the $71 shipping charge. Right now I'm hoping to see the new one soon and that it shoots accurately and ejects every round correctly. If that happens, I'll be fine. If not, Savage is going to have a big problem with me.

The shame of it is that on my second range trip I shot the official 50 yard benchrest target and got 2350 out of 2500. A very good score but then the gun just went rapidly downhill after that session. Can't imagine what happened. I really need to find out why they can't fix it. Seems like anything bad on a rifle can be repaired or replaced. Doesn't make sense.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The girl I spoke to doesn't know or want to give much info at all. She claims all she has is a note from the gunsmith saying it's unrepairable. I agree that Savage is responsible for everything including and especially the $71 shipping charge. Right now I'm hoping to see the new one soon and that it shoots accurately and ejects every round correctly. If that happens, I'll be fine. If not, Savage is going to have a big problem with me.

The shame of it is that on my second range trip I shot the official 50 yard benchrest target and got 2350 out of 2500. A very good score but then the gun just went rapidly downhill after that session. Can't imagine what happened. I really need to find out why they can't fix it. Seems like anything bad on a rifle can be repaired or replaced. Doesn't make sense.

I have no idea what this rifle is... or how it's put together, but sounds to me like perhaps a cracked receiver?

Just about anything else, such as the barrel or bolt, could have been easily replaced.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's terrible. Thought savage was better than that, especially considering yours is a higher end rifle. Hope I don't have any trouble.
    I picked up an mk2 SV-SR off the forum. Probably the 3rd or 4th to have it. Stuck a BEC 24x scope on it. Dinged up, wear, grip cap gone etc. No issues other than the comb being ridiculously short. Shoots great, dirt clods hate it! I haven't had time to benchtest it. Seems to be pretty accurate.
    Agreed, I thought Savage would be much better than this. This is their top of the line .22 other than the carbon fiber wrapped model of the same gun. Most likely yours will shoot great as many of them do. This is just a weird situation that will hopefully be resolved soon. Chek yours on the bench though. Mine would probably seem accurate for plinking but when put on paper you can really see the problem. Even as bad as it was before I sent it in, I could get about 50-60% of the shots right in the bullseye at 50 yards. Might get 2 or 3 just about dead center than the next couple might be 3/4 to an inch off, occasionally even more than an inch away. This was with every different ammo I tried.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no idea what this rifle is... or how it's put together, but sounds to me like perhaps a cracked receiver?

Just about anything else, such as the barrel or bolt, could have been easily replaced.
    Seems to be a very solid well put together rifle. Could possibly be a cracked receiver but even if so why can't they replace that?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Seems to be a very solid well put together rifle. Could possibly be a cracked receiver but even if so why can't they replace that?
    Juice not worth the squeeze... they don’t have a replacement receiver laying around and it’s easier to just swap out rifles vs invest gunsmith time putting all your stuff on a new receiver.

Of course this is all just a guess.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've had problems with savage extractors in the past. All bolt action .308, 6.5CM, 300WM, ect. It's a common problem that may be linked to the type of metal and hardening they are using. An extractor should take a long time to fail on a bolt action rifle. There are kits to fix it it's so common.
    As far as the accuracy goes spend the extra $ on a CZ. The barrels would last multiple lifetimes for most people and you'll probably shoot more rounds thru it than any 4 of your firearms combined.
    Savage sucks nowadays and how a company handles their problems is the standard by which they will be judged. I'd be looking for a full refund.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That is a shame, over the years I've had two Savage rifles that I had to send in for warranty work. One of them was completely my fault, working up loads and basically locked the bolt closed after too hot of a load. I got the bolt open and the brass extracted, but it did damage to the receiver. Savage fixed it, no questions. The other was a model 10 that I got as a project gun, swapped stocks, had the barrel threaded for a muzzle device, all before I ever shot it. First trip to the range, it wouldn't even chamber a round. The chamber had a bad bore. Sent it in, they rebarrelled it with a threaded barrel and sent it back. Rifle shoots dime sized groups with factor gold medal match ammo. Both times, it took 3-4 weeks to get my rifle returned, and both times I had to pay shipping one way, but otherwise service was great even considering I modified the second one and the first one was my fault for loading too hot of rounds.

Top Bottom