• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have some ideas how this plays out.
    Not saying it's right to burn the dealer, but I purchased it from him. Again. Cost of doing business.

1st scenario. Dealer sees the charge back and is like WTF. Most likely contacts customer. Is outraged. Reaches out to savage and asks them to do something here. Dealer is going to be out money that is probably profit for 10 guns. He now has to sell 10 more guns to break even(I am aware this is your point here jester). Maybe his words have some pull with savage because he's a dealer. Savage makes it right not to screw their dealer and noone is out money in the end.

2nd. Does charge back. Savage does nothing for dealer, just like they did the customer. Dealer is sick of it because it's probably happened before and stops stocking/ordering Savage. Savage loses business.

I'm not into screwing the dealer but their network with wholesaler/middleman/whatever has more pull in getting something handled. It may not even be an evasive move or even involve savage. Wholesaler could eat it. This also has a set of issues of raising future costs of goods. Blame it on Savage sucking......
    Being a licensed dealer, here is how I would tell you how to handle it. Just my opinion now.
    Buyer with the rotten gun call the dealer and ask if he can help out. Dealer should want to help within reason. I would then call my sales rep at my wholesaler, explain it to him and ask him to have his superior call savage and demand a refund for my customer. The gun business has enough going against it with our gov and the alphabet agencies that we don't need to screw anyone over. Savage, if you sold a rotten gun and the customer is not satisfied with it and there was no intentional misuse or damage caused, give the buyer their $ back and log it back in your books to do whatever with. It's not hard.
    As much as Sig Sauer has f#cked up firearms lately, they keep a strong following due to customer service.
    The way a company handles problems is what makes or breaks them.
    Look at "Q" and the fix. I'm ready to pay top dollar for a few of them even though they are a 4-5 month wait, they'll have to be prepaid, 4-5 months is not guaranteed, and they are still fixing problems with existing ones. They are very innovative and build a bad ass factory rifle that is guaranteed to perform though.
    Get to the highest rung on the ladder you can as fast as possible.
    I am a very small time dealer and I guarantee all of my sales reps would immediately jump on that little problem for me and have it sorted out in days.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A few months ago I bought a brand new Savage B22 Precision to use at benchrest competition. Great gun with an excellent adjustable solid aluminum billet chassis, great trigger and reputation for excellent accuracy. First trip to the range it shot good but not great, had more flyers than I expected but chalked it up to having to find ammo it liked. Next range trip was about the same with 3 other types of ammo. Next trip it started shooting not quite as good as the first few trips and had a few failures to extract. Long story short after trying over a dozen brands of ammo and 3 different scopes it was now having as many flyers as good shots. It didn't matter if I used cheap bulk pack ammo or $20+ match grade ammo. It also was not extracting almost every round. Tried cleaning many times, very thorough inspection and saw nothing. Finally decided to send it back to Savage. I called them before shipping and was told get it to them UPS, on my dime, or to be more accurate on my $71.00. They said it would be there for up to 3 weeks which was not bad, having no other choice I sent it in.

After about 2.5 weeks I called to see the progress and was told they had been closed the full week of July 4th so they considered it only there 1.5 weeks. Ok, I can see that so maybe I would be without it for 4 weeks instead of 3, no problem. 4 weeks and 3 days after they received it, I called again. Now was told it had gone to a gunsmith the day before and was still being worked on. I waited another week without hearing a word from Savage. Called today (5 weeks and 4 days after they received it) and was told the gunsmith had determined the rifle was not repairable so they were going to send me a brand new one. The bad news is they do not have any at the Massachusetts factory since the "Precision" model is made in Canada and they don't know when they will get one to send me.

What could make a brand new rifle that had absolutely no damage become not repairable by the factory after less than 1,000 rounds through it? Seems to me if it had a bad receiver that could be replaced, same with barrel, bolt or anything else. Sounds strange to me. Also aggravating they can't even tell me when I'll see a new one and who knows if the new one will shoot properly. I would rather have had one gone through by a qualified gunsmith and made to shoot right than taking a crap shoot on another one off the assembly line.

Before I bought this gun I did lots of research and really had a hard time choosing between this and a CZ. Only problem with the CZ was to get one with a precision chassis was many hundreds more. Could get one with a basic stock for a similar price but I wanted an adjustable chassis style of gun. I also preferred buying from an American company, I knew the chassis was made by MDT in Canada but thought the gun was American made. I read many good things about accuracy on both so went with the one from the American company and that had the chassis I liked. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the CZ...

Sorry for the long post but just had to vent. :mad:
    When you've done your due dilligence and tried to buy here and be a good guy to boot it's crap to go thru this. Savage has their face in any magazine or on line forum about rifles. It looks like they would have at least given you a fair option.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My email to the CEO got to him. This morning I received a call from the head of customer service. Same person I spoke too yesterday. She said they still have to wait to get one from Canadian factory, but she has also ordered the "lite" model which has the carbon fiber wrapped barrel and whichever they receive first will be sent to me. No additional charge if it's the "lite". That being said I doubt I'll see the more expensive version but hopefully now that the factory knows the CEO is involved, I'll see it sometime soon. Let's see...

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A phone call to customer service and stating your case might get your money back.
    I wish it was that simple. I've spoken to them 4 or 5 times and a few emails also. At this point I just want a rifle that works and would like it soon.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Time for another update. It's getting close to 8 weeks since Savage received the rifle. I called again today to see if they can tell me when I will see the replacement B22 Precision. I was finally given an approximate timeline.

The factory will start a new production run the end of next week. Once built, it will be sent from the Canada factory to Massachusetts. There it will be tested to make sure it is accurate and does eject spent casings properly. If good it will then be sent to me. So that means it will probably be at least another 3 weeks until I receive it. That means it will be about 11 or so weeks from the time they first received mine until I get the new one. Thats if it all works as currently planned and I don't hold much hope for that. Not what I would call good customer service. The new one better shoot the eyeballs out of gnats and eject every case perfectly...

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Time for another update. It's getting close to 8 weeks since Savage received the rifle. I called again today to see if they can tell me when I will see the replacement B22 Precision. I was finally given an approximate timeline.

The factory will start a new production run the end of next week. Once built, it will be sent from the Canada factory to Massachusetts. There it will be tested to make sure it is accurate and does eject spent casings properly. If good it will then be sent to me. So that means it will probably be at least another 3 weeks until I receive it. That means it will be about 11 or so weeks from the time they first received mine until I get the new one. Thats if it all works as currently planned and I don't hold much hope for that. Not what I would call good customer service. The new one better shoot the eyeballs out of gnats and eject every case perfectly...
    I hope it's sooner!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    If it were my situation I'd be contacting another person on James list he posted. Sounds like the first guy didn't understand you want your money back.
    You're going to have to be a bully or keep conceding to them. At the way things are going in the rest of the world, I'd be surprised if it even left Canada in 3 weeks. I'd bet 5-6 more weeks.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it were my situation I'd be contacting another person on James list he posted. Sounds like the first guy didn't understand you want your money back.
    You're going to have to be a bully or keep conceding to them. At the way things are going in the rest of the world, I'd be surprised if it even left Canada in 3 weeks. I'd bet 5-6 more weeks.
    Unless I was going to pay an attorney to write a letter I doubt I will get my money back. Don't really want to spend more money on it, last time I needed an attorney it was a very small matter and cost about $4,000.

Besides, I really liked the rifle when I first got it. The first 2 range trips it shot nice, wasn't until the third time out that it starting having problems. The gun has an excellent trigger, nice balance, very solid and after sighting in my first five shots in a row with it were bullseyes at 50 yards. That was with cheap ammo and a centerpoint airgun scope on it. I figured once I did some ammo testing, installed a better scope and the barrel broke in this gun would be really great. Instead it went rapidly downhill. I think a new one, tested at the factory will be fine. As much as I hate waiting I think it's been so long a few more weeks can't hurt.

That may all change though if I'm still getting a run around 3 weeks from now or if the new one gives me problems.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    Unless I was going to pay an attorney to write a letter I doubt I will get my money back. Don't really want to spend more money on it, last time I needed an attorney it was a very small matter and cost about $4,000.

Besides, I really liked the rifle when I first got it. The first 2 range trips it shot nice, wasn't until the third time out that it starting having problems. The gun has an excellent trigger, nice balance, very solid and after sighting in my first five shots in a row with it were bullseyes at 50 yards. That was with cheap ammo and a centerpoint airgun scope on it. I figured once I did some ammo testing, installed a better scope and the barrel broke in this gun would be really great. Instead it went rapidly downhill. I think a new one, tested at the factory will be fine. As much as I hate waiting I think it's been so long a few more weeks can't hurt.

That may all change though if I'm still getting a run around 3 weeks from now or if the new one gives me problems.
    Nightmare!

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Latest update. Today, exactly 10 weeks and 1 day after I sent the rifle to savage a new one was shipped to me. They didn't pay for a quick delivery though as I won't see it until next Wednesday. Supposedly it was sent to their range and test fired to make sure it is accurate and ejects properly. After I get to the range with it I hope it does what it's supposed to.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Latest update. Today, exactly 10 weeks and 1 day after I sent the rifle to savage a new one was shipped to me. They didn't pay for a quick delivery though as I won't see it until next Wednesday. Supposedly it was sent to their range and test fired to make sure it is accurate and ejects properly. After I get to the range with it I hope it does what it's supposed to.
    Cool. Is it the better one??

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    With the patience of Job you have shown it should be the upgraded one.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Inferior product, the run around, no upgrade and standard shipping. You're out all your time and aggregation and 71 bucks. I say all this not against you or your path. It's just that were a number. In the grand scheme, we're just gnats.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Inferior product, the run around, no upgrade and standard shipping. You're out all your time and aggregation and 71 bucks. I say all this not against you or your path. It's just that were a number. In the grand scheme, we're just gnats.
    Agreed. I might get into long range shooting in the future, I guarantee a savage will not be among guns I look at.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    When I hear stories from S&W, Ruger, Sig, even Taurus buyers lately, regarding warranty work their comments are usually very positive. Savage needs to up their customer service game if they're seeking to occupy that haloed space. Years ago, maybe thirty, a friend of mine had a manufactured defected Savage product. He got his dealer involved in the complaint. They were able to get a refund directly from Savage. I can't remember how long it took or if it was 100% refund but enough that he than purchased a Remington 700 Special Purpose from the same dealer.

Top Bottom