Got it, the switchback .22 can. Talk me out of it, too late...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I generally shoot the cci standard velocity 1200 fps. Problem is the bullet is too soft to kill an armadillo.
    Dillos are just tough in my opinion. I've shot em with 9mm and they still run and jump. Center punched this one @30 yards with hp cci 22 mag and it still ran another +12 feet. I think they have level 1a armor.
    Also wondering if the federal cphp 36gr bulk might do better 1260fps.?? For a can. Cycles the 15-22P and glock 26,19 advantage arms conversion.
    20231216_231506.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Now looking for best price in stock on the switchback 22. Should be buying this next week. Found one on gunjoker 459 with $30 ship, plus tax I'm sure.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    FYI. Raw finish with black caps are gen 1.
    Found a Gen 1 for 400 on a not familiar website.
    Found one gen 2 black on Joe bobs for 459 and free ship.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Is a 40 db drop worth the +700$???
    This is my #1 concern. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sound meter testing.

The quieter the better. Every decibel is a 10-fold factor of reduction, and a quiet 22 will pay for itself with therapeutic laughter and smiles. See if you can test-drive one in-person before buying. Friends, an FFL/SOT, or maybe a silencer-shoot somewhere. Silencerco has their “Suppressed Fest 2024” in October. Or Cancon.

Suppressors are something you plan to buy once and keep forever. Resale is too much of a hassle and you will always lose money. So, pay for something you will enjoy, because you’re effectively stuck with it. Cost per year for the rest of your life, and that up-front price difference suddenly becomes relatively negligible (well, except obviously more outlay from your wallet today.)

A quality rimfire can is totally worth it. Quiet is key. Minimizing FRP (first-round pop). Ease of dissassembly (especially once the molten lead is being layered in the crevices after a few bricks). Options for cleaning (already discussed steel and titanium vs aluminum). Modularity would be an interesting option, but not a deal-breaker for me personally. Sure, a small ~2” can would be pocket-friendly on a mouse gun like a Beretta Bobcat, but for the majority of its use, you’ll probably leave it in full-size setup to get the most decibel reduction, regardless of pistol or rifle as the host.

Since the $200 infringement is standard across the board, it’s easier to just not include it as a comparison metric, especially when you’re talking about rimfire suppressors that cost around the same as the infringement fee.

Bottom line: buy something that will be enjoyable for a long time. You’ll thank yourself later, every single time you pull the trigger and hear a staple gun Instead of a small explosion. :)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    The quieter the better. Every decibel is a 10-fold factor of reduction, and a quiet 22 will pay for itself with therapeutic laughter and smiles. See if you can test-drive one in-person before buying. Friends, an FFL/SOT, or maybe a silencer-shoot somewhere. Silencerco has their “Suppressed Fest 2024” in October. Or Cancon.

Suppressors are something you plan to buy once and keep forever. Resale is too much of a hassle and you will always lose money. So, pay for something you will enjoy, because you’re effectively stuck with it. Cost per year for the rest of your life, and that up-front price difference suddenly becomes relatively negligible (well, except obviously more outlay from your wallet today.)

A quality rimfire can is totally worth it. Quiet is key. Minimizing FRP (first-round pop). Ease of dissassembly (especially once the molten lead is being layered in the crevices after a few bricks). Options for cleaning (already discussed steel and titanium vs aluminum). Modularity would be an interesting option, but not a deal-breaker for me personally. Sure, a small ~2” can would be pocket-friendly on a mouse gun like a Beretta Bobcat, but for the majority of its use, you’ll probably leave it in full-size setup to get the most decibel reduction, regardless of pistol or rifle as the host.

Since the $200 infringement is standard across the board, it’s easier to just not include it as a comparison metric, especially when you’re talking about rimfire suppressors that cost around the same as the infringement fee.

Bottom line: buy something that will be enjoyable for a long time. You’ll thank yourself later, every single time you pull the trigger and hear a staple gun Instead of a small explosion. :)
    Thanks. I figured the titanium and stainless switchback would be the best long term investment. Enjoy the .22 round. Did some family night firing last month. Would be nice to have it quieter. 15-22P w green light in background.
    2818572784877060494.jpg

Ugafan84

Shooter
    I still haven’t had a chance to take mine out in the shortest configuration but with that said I still wouldn’t hesitate to buy the switchback again. It’s definitely quieter than my sparrow which is still very quiet.

I run it in the mid length configuration on my buckmark and it’s still quiet. Not that it saves much weight but it helps out a little with it.

Again I love mine and wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I still haven’t had a chance to take mine out in the shortest configuration but with that said I still wouldn’t hesitate to buy the switchback again. It’s definitely quieter than my sparrow which is still very quiet.

I run it in the mid length configuration on my buckmark and it’s still quiet. Not that it saves much weight but it helps out a little with it.

From watching the videos the shortest on a pistol dosent do much, but on the rifle it seems to do suprisingly well. Longer burn time?

Also saw that subs are quieter with the full can in normal configuration not the rifle configuration? From a rifle.

I'm guessing alot of testing is going to be needed for optimum performance. Ammo, barrel lenght, configuration. Good thing I can shoot in my backyard. Should keep me busy.
    Hoping I can use regular ammo and still be hearing safe so I don't have to lose what power is there for hunting. ( longer shots)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance

*** I think there is an upgrade (free?) For the sparrow?

Themumfordman

Master
    From watching the videos the shortest on a pistol dosent do much, but on the rifle it seems to do suprisingly well. Longer burn time?

Also saw that subs are quieter with the full can in normal configuration not the rifle configuration? From a rifle.

I can’t remember where I saw it, but there was a great article I read on this a while back. Basically it’s all trade-offs, rifle barrel = better powder burn so less burst and flash, but also more velocity (up to a point) so most rounds will have a sonic crack. With a pistol length barrel it’s hard to get up to actual supersonic speeds on most projectiles, so you’ll stay closer to subsonic but also have relatively more flash/bang from the muzzle. All of those produce sound signature, so balancing those with proper firearm operation is the trick.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I can’t remember where I saw it, but there was a great article I read on this a while back. Basically it’s all trade-offs, rifle barrel = better powder burn so less burst and flash, but also more velocity (up to a point) so most rounds will have a sonic crack. With a pistol length barrel it’s hard to get up to actual supersonic speeds on most projectiles, so you’ll stay closer to subsonic but also have relatively more flash/bang from the muzzle. All of those produce sound signature, so balancing those with proper firearm operation is the trick.
    I think the 8 inch barrel on my 15-22P should be real good for this. It cycles subs now. ( not quiet 22)

Fathertime

Marksman
    Yes this is a Volquartsen mini mamba. I never put my switchback in rifle configuration cause if the barrel is short it actually makes it louder . Really not any audible difference so I just leave it.

Top Bottom