• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Themumfordman

Master
    What buffer system do you use with the 300? Super 42 says not to use with subsonics

This is my DIY “Honey Badger”
    Build. Base is a SiCo lower, BCM upper with the HB 7.75” barrel/gas system and brace/buffer. Has my standard SSA-E trigger, Radian safety, and I used a Midwest Industries wide 10” rail, which slides about 2.5 inches over the base of the suppressor, giving a lot more room for gripping and adding accessories. Only downside is it does get a bit warm when you’re running a few mags through it.

Attachments

• IMG_8625.jpeg
      IMG_8625.jpeg
      2.1 MB · Views: 30
    • IMG_8626.jpeg
      IMG_8626.jpeg
      3.5 MB · Views: 26
    • IMG_8627.jpeg
      IMG_8627.jpeg
      2.8 MB · Views: 26
    • IMG_8628.jpeg
      IMG_8628.jpeg
      1.9 MB · Views: 28

joebagodonuts

Shooter
    I just snagged a few Mk2 lowers and will be swapping parts from other lowers to build them up. Most of my lowers are setup the same way with an A5 tube, an appropriate weighted buffer(usually H2), Radian safety, and either a Geissele 2 stage or Larue MBT. As far as receiver extensions, I can't imagine there is a huge difference between the Vlotr, BCM, or even the KAK 9 position other than price and availability.

I'm not sure how corrosion resistant all these different parts are, but a bit of maintenance and some CorrosionX will go a long way in keeping everything operational and looking good.

On a side note, the Mk2 from Griffin and the ADM lower share the same design DNA.

850guns

Master
    I've gotten to the point where literally every AR I keep long-term in the stable has identical controls, that way the manual of arms never changes regardless of caliber, barrel length or configuration. My basic setup:

*Geissele SSA-E trigger
    *Radion Talon 45-degree Ambi Safety
    *Magpul K2+ grip
    *Geissele Air OR Radian Raptor ambi CH (depends on caliber/barrel length)

My fully set up gear also uses either SilencerCo or ADM ambi lowers, which have the bolt catch AND release on the right hand side on a lever mechanism. I have found that for reloads I can quicker get back in the action by swapping mags with my left hand and then using my trigger finger to drop the bolt while my support hand is already moving back out on to the rifle.

I'm also a weirdo, so when I defeat the safety I use my thumb like a normal person, but going to safe I typically bring my finger off the trigger and activate on the right side of the frame by flipping up. I've done it so long it's muscle memory at this point, and it's just what always worked for me. And an ambi charging handle is just far better for gripping and ripping, regardless of which hand you're using.

I don't often shoot lefty, but I've found that if I have the opportunity to customize my gear the way I like, that's the setup that works best for me.
    What buffer system do you use?

850guns

Master
    I was considering a compact buffer system, but I don't know much about them. And don't know anyone running one.
    Heck I'm just learning about the A5 system. For now it has a standard carbine buffer system. I was looking at the strike industries compact buffer system. I'm hoping to find a compact buffer that can run pistol and rifle rounds.

joebagodonuts

Shooter
    I was considering a compact buffer system, but I don't know much about them. And don't know anyone running one.
    Heck I'm just learning about the A5 system. For now it has a standard carbine buffer system. I was looking at the strike industries compact buffer system. I'm hoping to find a compact buffer that can run pistol and rifle rounds.
    Not sure the benefit you are looking for with a compact system, but the KAK mini is intriguing. Generally, for a PCC you will need to increase your buffer weight compared to a rifle setup. Some guys actually run an A5 buffer in a carbine tube for the added weight and decreased stroke length. Sort of a Pandora's box trying to do both reliably and optimally.

850guns

Master
    5) Trigger. Elftmann for wow factor fast. Larue for reliability. Not saying the elftmann isn't reliable, but it is a box trigger.

6) LPK, unlimited budget? geiselle ultra duty. Otherwise PSA or aero.
    So, what is the word on box triggers?
    I like geiselle just fine, but
    I ordered a CMC trigger and their LPK.
    Just haven't heard anything negative.
    Heck, I have an Anderson stainless trigger and LPK in a budget build that works great.

I haven't looked at that ultra duty LPK.
    Doing so now....

Themumfordman

Master
    Best trigger I’ve ever used is the TriggerTech Diamond, and it’s a “box” drop-in trigger. It’s really only for precision or competitive type applications, not what you’d want on a duty rifle. I do like the rise armament ones for a good every day trigger upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Themumfordman

Master
    That said, all my “duty” type rifles use Geissele SSA-E triggers. I like them, they run well, and not so sensitive I’m likely to have accidental discharges. And it’s consistent across rifles so switching from one setup to another doesn’t throw off my trigger control.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Heck, I have an Anderson stainless trigger and LPK in a budget build that works great.

Doing so now....
    I'm not a fan of the Anderson stainless triggers. BCM or PSA polished does me well. Spend the extra if you like the star logo lol.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I think the Anderson was polished or enhanced.
    I don't know if they do anything special. The ones I have are just cut from stainless. BCM and the PSA always felt better to me. The nickel boron finish looks a little better appearance wise to me, but I'm peculiar.

Themumfordman

Master
    The PSA polished trigger (think that’s what they call it) is a good solid trigger. Worst one I ever got was on a stock M&P15. Horrible trigger.

850guns

Master
    Yeah that Geissele LPK is pricy.

I've used extended stainless take down and pivot pins on other builds.
    What about using lightweight alloy pins?
    Are they for range use only?
    Or are they just fine, Pick your flavor?

Themumfordman

Master
    I think pins and such can be a place where we start really splitting hairs on things. Hard to justify if parts like that are really “necessary” in any practical sense when it comes the cost of the high end options.

I do like the YHM takedown pins with the extended grips, those are hell and gone easier to use and not spendy at all. Likewise if it’s not an Ambi lower, the Geissele Maritime bolt release is awesome for not a lot of dough.

850guns

Master
    I think pins and such can be a place where we start really splitting hairs on things. Hard to justify if parts like that are really “necessary” in any practical sense when it comes the cost of the high end options.

I do like the YHM takedown pins with the extended grips, those are hell and gone easier to use and not spendy at all. Likewise if it’s not an Ambi lower, the Geissele Maritime bolt release is awesome for not a lot of dough.

Solid advice.

850guns

Master
    I'm not a fan of the Anderson stainless triggers. BCM or PSA polished does me well. Spend the extra if you like the star logo lol.
    So, you're not a fan of drop in trigger groups?
    I can understand milspec type triggers and springs would be a plus in a mad max situation. That BCM might be a better call.

Themumfordman

Master
    Box triggers are not really serviceable if they have issues, at least I’ve not ever tried to force one apart to try. Your mil-spec style component triggers would be a heck of a lot easier to clean mud or blood out of and change springs on if you were using them in a hard-core situation.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter

Doing so now....
    Personally I like and run the Hyperfire Heavy Gunner as a Duty trigger.
    Have never had a issue with one and they are a great, economical Dutry trigger.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    I've got a couple of builds using the Maxim Defense Buffer system
    One piston with a Mk18 upper, runs flawless. I did have issue in the beginning with the bolt would not go forward after lockback at the end of a magazine occasionally. One call to their CS, asked the color of the spring I received in the kit I bought and a new spring was shipped out right and free of charge. They knew exactly what the issue was and no BS.

The other is on a PWS 11.85 300BLK and it run flawless too but need some tuning due to using a suppressor.
    One call to their customer service and they knew exactly what buffer I needed fixed all my issues. Unfortunately
    the PWS gas system on the upper was not adjustable, so I had to do a little tuning.

They really make the guns compact for transport and with the stocks extended they shoulder and handle great.

I also have a few running the A5 System they really smooth out the recoil impulse, but springs and buffers are proprietary.

Top Bottom