WTH? Backwards scope Captain given the boot.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Even if he was not "gun people" wouldn't you think something was not right when you looked down the scope? He knew enough not to put the muzzle into his shoulder. If he ever used binoculars he would know he's not looking down the correct sight picture.
    You ever looked through the objective of a VPO on 1x? If he's not "gun people" he's not likely to notice the reticle being inverted. If it's an illuminated FFP donut/circle there's even less to indicate something isn't right. It's funny/dumb and made exponentially worse once the pic hit the web, but I've seen "gun people" do worse and unsafe stuff at the ranges locally.

He didn't lose his job for the VCOG being on backwards. As mentioned before, "loss of cofidence" covers a wide range of things and SWOs could give a crap about individual weapons handling skills.

I know the forum will be glad to read about his replacement.

Southalabama

Master
    You ever looked through the objective of a VPO on 1x? If he's not "gun people" he's not likely to notice the reticle being inverted. If it's an illuminated FFP donut/circle there's even less to indicate something isn't right. It's funny/dumb and made exponentially worse once the pic hit the web, but I've seen "gun people" do worse and unsafe stuff at the ranges locally.

He didn't lose his job for the VCOG being on backwards. As mentioned before, "loss of cofidence" covers a wide range of things and SWOs could give a crap about individual weapons handling skills.

I know the forum will be glad to read about his replacement.

Quick google search

Little Jack

Master
    I just noticed, it looks like the scope cap is still on or am I mistaken? This guy probably pissed someone off..
    objective is flipped up. You can see it under the brim of the hat. Rear is open, looks like it's flipped to the far side covering the gap between the scope and the top of the rifle.

MarkJ

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    You guys have already posted what I was thinking. There are a lot of folks that aren't "gun people" in the military and LE, and it would be completely on-brand to prank someone like that. I would hate to have that be a prank (and it could be he was in on the joke and posted the photo purposefully) and cost him his command.
    We would prank each other, a Chief or two if you knew them well enough, but the Ship's Commander? Not a chance.

Maybe things have changed this drastically since I served and it's normal now to disrespect (read prank) the Commanding Officer of the ship.

The DEI hire is beyond insulting though....

Snake-Eyes

Master

So, the Navy’s experts couldn’t figure out how to fix the rudder issues, despite several CASREPs about it. The best way for the techs to diagnose the issue couldn’t be “funded” (even though we waste how many billions on ridiculous social programs across the globe?), and the captain and crew tried for 10-minutes to fix the issue before calling the emergency break away that partially damaged the refueling ship. Hmmm…

Backwards scope glamour shot was stupid.
    The rest seems plausible lean-forward go-to-war attitude.
    Not sure how that warrants losing his command.

Did the Navy every figure out the mechanical problems?
    Will the DEI manly lesbian fix the issue ASAP?

Stay tuned, fellow disappointed Citizens…

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Loss of steering on naval vessels is common. How I know... Wabash AOR-5. 4.5 years. Shield, storm. If it were a fire able offense half the navy would get replaced every 2 months. Its what happens when the Italians are building the ships at lowest bidder rates.
    If ya want to see the Italian navy, get a glass bottomed boat.

flat,600x600,075,f.jpg

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Its always on the captain because he did not take the right steps to ensure the ship and crew were combat ready ,he might have the biggest fuck ups in the navy as crew but as captain its his job to put the right ones in place and get rid of the bad ones . His people could not fix it nor a brought in "expert" work party ,why he chose to go back out to sea is hazarding a ship . If your car had loss of steering you would tow it to a repair shop if it still had issues after the repair you would tow it to the dealer not subject your family to traveling in it , if the dealer could not fix it it would stay there until a factory rep came out ......that ship should have stayed at the pier

B52

Master
    objective is flipped up. You can see it under the brim of the hat. Rear is open, looks like it's flipped to the far side covering the gap between the scope and the top of the rifle.
    Maybe he is only used to real old school scopes. Where the biggest end of the scope is always at the front? But still seeing the screwed up image should have been a clue, just like binoculars. Maybe the chief had made a convincing rank on the boss?

Little Jack

Master
    But still seeing the screwed up image should have been a clue, just like binoculars.

If you look through the objective on 1x the image looks like it would if you looked through the eyepiece. You'd have to take a close look at the reticle to see it's inverted. You don't get the binocular effect unless there's magnification.

Attachments

• 20240908_005815.jpg
      20240908_005815.jpg
      523.9 KB · Views: 6
    • 20240908_010032.jpg
      20240908_010032.jpg
      684.8 KB · Views: 7
    • 20240908_010119.jpg
      20240908_010119.jpg
      322.7 KB · Views: 8

IronBeard

Master
    Thread perfectly illustrates the senior "leadership" that remains after two purges conducted by the obama administration, the ensuing mass "@#$% this" retirements/separations, another round of retirements/separations inspired by the trump administration ignoring and praising what was left, "best military ever, so great, like no one has ever seen before," and still another round of "@#$% this" retirements/seprations resulitng from the overt DEI push(es) of the current administration, compunded with quitting Afghanistan and marignalizing/minimizing anyone asscoaited wit that area of operations....

Yeah. Peoplae aren't signing up, or staying in, because they are drug-addicted, out of shape, or just plain lazy. OK then...

Top Bottom