• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    So I'm assembling a Griffin Armament Mk2 lower. This will be a pistol build.

I need help selecting some parts:
    1) Receiver extension/buffer tube
    2) Buffer and Spring
    3) End plate and castle nut
    4) Short throw ambi safety selector
    5) Trigger
    6) LPK

What are your favorites?
    I want duty/performance parts
    Think maritime operations, it may end up on a boat or 2.
    And the ability to operate multi caliber uppers.

1,2,3) So I like the PWS buffer tube, plate and system.

3) But I think the Strike Industries plate and locking nut looks to have more utility to attach slings.

5) I like flat bow triggers.
    CMC and Rise Armament are fine for me.

1) Griffin makes a buffer tube with extra holes to help drain water. So that's a plus.

What are your favorite parts?

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    1)Receiver extension/buffer tube. BCM. I don't like the look of the milling on the enhanced pws. I like mine plain.

2) Buffer and Spring. Sprinco or Geiselle braided. No reason to run cheap springs. Good ones don't cost that much.

3) End plate and castle nut. Pws ratcheting all day. Otherwise a BCM or noveske qd. They are low profile. PSA for a castle nut. Their bright finish is the best imo.

4) Short throw ambi safety selector. I don't like Ambi safety myself, but either radian or noveske if I had to run one. Factory sig is nice. It may be a radian?

5) Trigger. Elftmann for wow factor fast. Larue for reliability. Not saying the elftmann isn't reliable, but it is a box trigger.

6) LPK, unlimited budget? geiselle ultra duty. Otherwise PSA or aero.

850guns

Master
    1)Receiver extension/buffer tube. BCM.
    That BCM MK2 recoil mitigation system is similar to the Vltor A5 that came on my LMT Mars LS. I didn't even know what i had till I removed the PRS light stock and saw the unusual buffer tube. Checked the odd buffer, and now I know why... it's a system.

wecanslide

Expert
    Break or sprain a finger or wrist in your primary hand, shoot around a barrier or corner for cover, improved spit times,, or just plain ergonomics are plenty of reasons.
    Have you tried ambi?
    Once you do, you'll love going both ways!
    I understand the idea of having it for a contingency but day to day use I've found it hardly worth the money to have a full ambi build. I have one full ambi gun and few with just ambi safeties, they just don't get used...ever. I've seen videos where "SEALS" are saying stupid crap like their high tech safety is "so much more comfortable" "way easier to manipulate" or even stupider: "in case your thumb gets sore".

Maybe all of that is true and I'm not there yet but the purchase of these parts hit law of diminishing returns well before the purchase of training ammo. I'm going more ammo before I do another full ambi build.

850guns

Master
    I understand the idea of having it for a contingency but day to day use I've found it hardly worth the money to have a full ambi build. I have one full ambi gun and few with just ambi safeties, they just don't get used...ever. I've seen videos where "SEALS" are saying stupid crap like their high tech safety is "so much more comfortable" "way easier to manipulate" or even stupider: "in case your thumb gets sore".

Maybe all of that is true and I'm not there yet but the purchase of these parts hit law of diminishing returns well before the purchase of training ammo. I'm going more ammo before I do another full ambi build.
    I have several ambi guns. And I dislike some of the controls ie; it can be done better. Like POF's ambi bolt catch on their gen 4 receiver, where you insert a finger inside the trigger guard to catch the bolt. It's not unreasonable and it's the same on My Bren 2 MS, and I'm pretty sure they have some combat time. And on the LMT Mars, the ambi mag release has a guard all the war around it that I often miss on finger placement. But I absolutely recommend the Griffen! The controls are perfect. And I believe they were founded by Army snipers.
    I look at my guns as tools. I choose to buy the best I can afford with the expectation that I will always spend much more on ammo, and they better last way more than 10k rounds

Themumfordman

Master
    I've gotten to the point where literally every AR I keep long-term in the stable has identical controls, that way the manual of arms never changes regardless of caliber, barrel length or configuration. My basic setup:

*Geissele SSA-E trigger
    *Radion Talon 45-degree Ambi Safety
    *Magpul K2+ grip
    *Geissele Air OR Radian Raptor ambi CH (depends on caliber/barrel length)

My fully set up gear also uses either SilencerCo or ADM ambi lowers, which have the bolt catch AND release on the right hand side on a lever mechanism. I have found that for reloads I can quicker get back in the action by swapping mags with my left hand and then using my trigger finger to drop the bolt while my support hand is already moving back out on to the rifle.

I'm also a weirdo, so when I defeat the safety I use my thumb like a normal person, but going to safe I typically bring my finger off the trigger and activate on the right side of the frame by flipping up. I've done it so long it's muscle memory at this point, and it's just what always worked for me. And an ambi charging handle is just far better for gripping and ripping, regardless of which hand you're using.

I don't often shoot lefty, but I've found that if I have the opportunity to customize my gear the way I like, that's the setup that works best for me.

Themumfordman

Master
    Couple pics, first is my SiCo SBR (12.5”), second is an ADM UIC M4 (14.5” P&W). Both are full Ambi, have the Geissele MK4 rails with DD barrels & BCG. The ADM has their own castle nut & plate, the SBR uses the PWS buffer tube/nut/plate set. I will say that PWS is by far the most consistent solid lockup of any I’ve used. I’ve run a couple thousand rounds in this configuration, completely suppressed, and even with constantly throwing it in the truck and to/from the range it hasn’t budged a bit. I’m using Geissele Super 42 buffers on both BTW.

Attachments

• IMG_8619.jpeg
      IMG_8619.jpeg
      2.7 MB · Views: 27
    • IMG_8620.jpeg
      IMG_8620.jpeg
      3 MB · Views: 28

850guns

Master
    Couple pics, first is my SiCo SBR (12.5”), second is an ADM UIC M4 (14.5” P&W). Both are full Ambi, have the Geissele MK4 rails with DD barrels & BCG. The ADM has their own castle nut & plate, the SBR uses the PWS buffer tube/nut/plate set. I will say that PWS is by far the most consistent solid lockup of any I’ve used. I’ve run a couple thousand rounds in this configuration, completely suppressed, and even with constantly throwing it in the truck and to/from the range it hasn’t budged a bit. I’m using Geissele Super 42 buffers on both BTW.
    Thanks! That UIC has a similar style bolt catch/release as the Griffin Mk2. And the silencerco is like the PDQ. Which do you prefer?

850guns

Master
    I've gotten to the point where literally every AR I keep long-term in the stable has identical controls, that way the manual of arms never changes.

I have found that for reloads I can quicker get back in the action by swapping mags with my left hand and then using my trigger finger to drop the bolt while my support hand is already moving back out on to the rifle.
    And an ambi charging handle is just far better for gripping and ripping, regardless of which hand you're using.

I've found that if I have the opportunity to customize my gear the way I like, that's the setup that works best for me.
    ^This
    Exactly.

Themumfordman

Master
    Thanks! That UIC has a similar style bolt catch/release as the Griffin Mk2. And the silencerco is like the PDQ. Which do you prefer?

They’re both really good. The ADM feels like a much stronger more durable setup, though that one SiCo I’ve had for a long time and probably run 10,000 rounds through various uppers with it, and it’s still trucking along. Both the uppers I’m using are ADM receivers, so there is that.

Ive got another SiCo on a custom honey badger I made in 300blk, and another UIC on a 6.8 SPR build.

Themumfordman

Master
    I’m using the actual honey badger rip brace & buffer, it’s a super compact one designed by Q specifically for 300. I’ll post some pics when I get home.

Top Bottom