• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The watertight compartment makes an excellent space to store char-cloth.
    Not needed. Here's the best survival fire starter on the planet. I have about 1,000 of these, forget gold and silver. Soak it in water, dry it off it works, floats, wrap electrical tape or duct around it for use later...etc, etc.
    Sure the strikers are fun and good to have but why face another challenge when you need fire now!

Attachments

• 20211209_123230.jpg
      20211209_123230.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 79

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not needed. Here's the best survival fire starter on the planet. I have about 1,000 of these, forget gold and silver. Soak it in water, dry it off it works, floats, wrap electrical tape or duct around it for use later...etc, etc.
    Sure the strikers are fun and good to have but why face another challenge when you need fire now!
    But slip,trip, & fall and the plastic bic can break. Call me Old Fashion but I've got dented Zippo's that prove I'm not the gentlest on lighters. LOL.
    Amazon product ASIN B08VW9H8RL

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another small item, candles. In southern Lats pure food grade beeswax works well. In northern Lats (COLD) LARD candles are the best. Either can be eaten in a pinch, and a lard candle works well to grease the mess kit when frying up tenderloins.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Between your lip balm,sun screen,tall trash bags,Dapper Dan hair wax,and nose hair clippers .
    <----> WELL !! ... YOUR JUST TOO DAMN FUNNY.
    Perhaps you should just buy and stuff an older ALICE PACK. That way you could also carry your cappuccino machine and a few items from your spice rack. PLUS - -> a couple rolls of toilie paper.
    BTT - -> I have had many a BIC lighter (un cased,un protected) with me down to about 90ft of salt water. Blow 'em out good and they will light a fire on the beach.
    Try that with a ZIPPO.
    BTW ... CHAP STICK BURNS. It's just wax. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Between your lip balm,sun screen,tall trash bags,Dapper Dan hair wax,and nose hair clippers .
    <----> WELL !! ... YOUR JUST TOO DAMN FUNNY.
    Perhaps you should just buy and stuff an older ALICE PACK. That way you could also carry your cappuccino machine and a few items from your spice rack. PLUS - -> a couple rolls of toilie paper.
    BTT - -> I have had many a BIC lighter (un cased,un protected) with me down to about 90ft of salt water. Blow 'em out good and they will light a fire on the beach.
    Try that with a ZIPPO.
    BTW ... CHAP STICK BURNS. It's just wax. ---- SAWMAN

Why do I need toilie paper? I got baby wipes, they work as a shower and toilet paper after the shower. Who needs the 3 S's, I'll shave at a later date. LOL.

I find that tea bags in a ziplock are much easier to plug in than the cappuccino machine, and a small manual coffee grinder with whole beans in a gallon ziplock stuffed into the Old ALICE Pack ain't unreasonable for an Old Salt that likes a fresh Cup-O-Joe on a cool mourning. Some parts of civilization are just to enjoyable to give up without a fight. LOL.

After water, fire is the next most important survival tool. (when your not in Combat)

PS: Chap Stick- Burts Bee Wax ain't the same as sunscreen.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have quite a bit of expierance with this.
    Will you carry a handgun AND A LONG GUN ??
    What chemberings ?? How long will you be afield each time ??
    Will not be critical. Just trying to both learn and teach here.
    I have made multiple trips into Escambia River WMA both by foot and by boat, and long trecks into Eglin. --- SAWMAN

Sure would like to hear a bit more, if you would care to share? I can find Mission Planning lists in section 5 of the FM 23-10, but what is it that folks with actual experience carry, well perhaps that differs from Military Doctrine? I'm all ears......

As the Irish say " The floors yours, wipe me up with it!"

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The watertight compartment makes an excellent space to store char-cloth.
    And these float whereas little metal coach whistles won't float. Try and find packs whose chest straps have a buckle with a built-in whistle. Two is one, one is none. I keep an eye out at the local thrift stores for stuff like this. Sometimes these chest straps are removable and can be used on your favorite packs, and you get the whole bag with the whistle buckle chest strap for like $5

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Duct tape is an excellent fire starter. For years I just wrapped electrical tape around my lighters (good for taping muzzles closed in the rain) but here recently I've started wrapping 1 inch wide strips of both kinds of tape. Doubles the weight, but it's not that noticeable. I bought a couple rolls of skin colored duct tape to do this with, too. It doubles as camo bandaids that don't stand out. A trick I learned in Maine is that duct tape on your face is good sunscreen and windscreen and helps keep from getting frostbite... and skin colored duct tape isn't so freaky looking on the face. Skin colored duct tape on your finger tips helps with cracking skin and keeping finger tips moist in cold weather (and means no finger prints...) and it doesn't stand out

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hunting in Maine I just slipped a small balloon over the muzzle. ESPECIALLY with my M/L.
    Same in the river swamps here.
    They are "shoot through". --- SAWMAN

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Maxpedition Falcon-III Backpack works for my needs. has hydration and storage for a few days of supplies.​

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never underestimate the value of folks with local knowledge. Just like when hunting or fishing folks that live in the area you intend to visit may hold hidden gems that can prove useful during your stay in the area.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Never underestimate the value of folks with local knowledge. Just like when hunting or fishing folks that live in the area you intend to visit may hold hidden gems that can prove useful during your stay in the area.
    Local knowledge is the best... trying to get it ain't easy but it's doable with proper respect and polite interactions!

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Depends on how long I’m going. But I’m going with tried and true… on multiple deployments I have taken “That Bitch ALICE.” Either a medium or a large depending upon situation. And the first thing I take is a Sawyer filter for water. Then wet weather and cold-weather gear. Thinking Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
    IMHO

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For the pack itself - -> consider a "sling pack" if you do not require a huge amount of internal volume.
    I have several and have been using them for years.
    IMO - -> much more comfortable than a two strap shoulder backpack. Can unsnap the chest strap,swivel it around,and access your gear WITHOUT taking it off your shoulder.
    Mine are - -> two different sizes of MAXPEDITION,ONE OF 511Gear,and one of unknown brand.
    The smaller of the two MAXPEDITION is carried every time I hunt. I carry all my smaller needed items in it including extra ammo for my thermal gun AND my sidearm.
    You just cannot put extra clothing in them except for knit hat,face mask,gloves,etc.
    Check 'em out. But buy quality. And the correct size for your needs. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom