• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That Max shown above is one of the ones that I have.
    Should be shown/displatyed WORN PROPERLY though. Looks like a 12 year old going off to Jr High. Effin dummies. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That Max shown above is one of the ones that I have.
    Should be shown/displatyed WORN PROPERLY though. Looks like a 12 year old going off to Jr High. Effin dummies. ---- SAWMAN
    I'm with you on that, it ain't a fanny pack. Could you imagine pulling your concealed weapon out of the concealed carry pouch with it wrapped behind your back? Ludicrous.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I wear mine about in the center of my back. Maybe a littlle higher than that.
    If you wear it much lower,when you spin it around to your chest to access your gear,you have to hold it up with one hand.
    Some of the zippered pouches need two hands to open them. Plus I have add on smaller molle pouches attached that contain batteries,surveyors ribbon,para chord,etc. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wear mine about in the center of my back. Maybe a littlle higher than that.
    If you wear it much lower,when you spin it around to your chest to access your gear,you have to hold it up with one hand.
    Some of the zippered pouches need two hands to open them. Plus I have add on smaller molle pouches attached that contain batteries,surveyors ribbon,para chord,etc. ---- SAWMAN
    Since I'm used to snap shooting with my rifle on my right shoulder, I wear the strap on top of my left with the bag on my right hip, that way nothing interferes with normal rifle operations. Alas, that allows the concealed weapon to be drawn with my right hand from a hip high position. Spare items tend to find themselves in places that take a bit more work to get to than items of instant need in my system. Yet I prefer that my secondary sidearm be located under my left armpit when required for instantaneous use. (ie a Miami Rig) But I'm using the messenger bag as level two in a four step process when going afield. At 90+ degrees for a day its only a web belt. As conditions get colder and duration gets longer added levels become prudent. JMHO. YMMV.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For my around town carry. I use my smallest sling pack. But it feels good to have extra ammo,a fixed blade,place for ALL ID's,paperwork for the forkin VA,keys,small ASP,etc,etc.
    I do not attach the chest strap,and wear it even higher. It is easily spun around to access anything in the bag. I only have one small molle pouch attached to it.
    I have about 5 larger backpacks that I have to get around to selling one day. Will never need then again.
    Our packs and bags are easily adaptable for our own usage and lifestyle. Just as long as you understand that you do not need a large backpack to carry your "stuff". From days gone buy,I always found myself trying to fill them completely up. But even in a civilian camping/hiking environment I would never really need all that stuff. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, once I start heading into the Big Country it gets a little difficult to fit all the needed & wanted items into anything less than a Med-Large ALICE. (2) pair BDU's (3) pair underwear, (6) pair socks 4 cotton wicking 2 wool, 12 foot sling rope, 100 foot static repel line, (4) snaps, (2) d-rings, Sleeping bag, mess kit, Swiss Volcano Stove. MRE's (food stuffs), Pop up (or 1/2 of a 2 man) tent, (optional Miners Ax) bow saw, extra batteries etc. Since there is no such thing as waterproof, even the items in a nylon ALICE Pack get stuffed into a 55 gallon garbage bag, they work as well or better than the Old ALICE Liners.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Honestly if you’re worried about weight and space, there’s 758 better options than an mre.
    nevermind some folks can’t stomach have the crap in them(anymore), the Mylar foil in cardboard in Mylar storage set up pretty heavy and overbuilt for a short camping trip.

same with bdu’s. Now don’t get me wrong, as far as uniforms I’ve worn bdu’s are fairly comfortable and fairly light. But there’s commercial options that pack a whole lot lighter and smaller, dry faster and even keep you warm when wet. so long as your not rushing your way up broken rock in an assault(which, bdu’s dont last that long in that role), are plenty durable for weekend backpack or camping trip.

and while we are talking commercial gear, the Alice pack itself has been eclipsed by plenty of external or internal frame options. I do like a solid external frame, easy to lash a stove/tent/sleep system too, but since I won’t be dropping the whole kit off the ramp of a 53 or over the side of an up armored 7 ton, those lightweight deals again should be plenty durable.

now all these super cool gears won’t necessarily be cheap, and probably won’t be available in od green or fde tan. And one thing the old issued gear has for some of us, is nostalgia.

for what it’s worth, my daily/range/day trip bag is a coyote camelbak I found laying on my flak on day at the range, and my camping pack is the old heavy outdated large Alice. Because, you know, nostalgia.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Honestly if you’re worried about weight and space, there’s 758 better options than an mre.
    nevermind some folks can’t stomach have the crap in them(anymore), the Mylar foil in cardboard in Mylar storage set up pretty heavy and overbuilt for a short camping trip.

same with bdu’s. Now don’t get me wrong, as far as uniforms I’ve worn bdu’s are fairly comfortable and fairly light. But there’s commercial options that pack a whole lot lighter and smaller, dry faster and even keep you warm when wet. so long as your not rushing your way up broken rock in an assault(which, bdu’s dont last that long in that role), are plenty durable for weekend backpack or camping trip.

and while we are talking commercial gear, the Alice pack itself has been eclipsed by plenty of external or internal frame options. I do like a solid external frame, easy to lash a stove/tent/sleep system too, but since I won’t be dropping the whole kit off the ramp of a 53 or over the side of an up armored 7 ton, those lightweight deals again should be plenty durable.

now all these super cool gears won’t necessarily be cheap, and probably won’t be available in od green or fde tan. And one thing the old issued gear has for some of us, is nostalgia.

for what it’s worth, my daily/range/day trip bag is a coyote camelbak I found laying on my flak on day at the range, and my camping pack is the old heavy outdated large Alice. Because, you know, nostalgia.
    So lets get honest, you recall those two straps that dumped your ALICE Pack back in the day when Soldiers were more important than gear? Run Forrest Run without replaceable gear used to be the mantra. Today the gear is more precious than the Soldier, they got it wrong way round in my Command. Nostalgia is for the Old, but time tested is for folks traveling into the unknown that have to depend upon the gear they brought with them to the dance. JMHO.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah idk about today, but in 09 we dumped everything when we had too. Never left a weapon at least.
    which I don’t know how or what that has to do with a hunting trip or 4 day through the Appalachians,
    But my brother has a 20 year old internal frame bought at sports authority that’s done a handful of the former and two of the later. I don’t think it even has a brand name, but packs as much as an Alice at less weight, and he’s never complained when he dropped it to break camp. Idk how tested is proven, and I’m all for going with what you know, but I also think that there’s nothing wrong with testing something new:
    around the block,
    up a nature trail,
    on a weekend within walking distance of your car.... until you can trust it.

especially now that I’m getting old, and the half dozen injuries I ignored in my 20’s are catching up. They say an ounce somewhere turns into a pound later or something,

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So lets get honest, you recall those two straps that dumped your ALICE Pack back in the day when Soldiers were more important than gear? Run Forrest Run without replaceable gear used to be the mantra. Today the gear is more precious than the Soldier, they got it wrong way round in my Command. Nostalgia is for the Old, but time tested is for folks traveling into the unknown that have to depend upon the gear they brought with them to the dance. JMHO.
    Definitely train with the gear you use . When I was in service , we still used Alice gear . Just starting to transition to MOLLE . Used them both . Still like my medium/Lg Alice rucks . Of course there are some modifications to them . But , I too like the “latest and greatest “new eqpt .

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah idk about today, but in 09 we dumped everything when we had too. Never left a weapon at least.
    which I don’t know how or what that has to do with a hunting trip or 4 day through the Appalachians,
    But my brother has a 20 year old internal frame bought at sports authority that’s done a handful of the former and two of the later. I don’t think it even has a brand name, but packs as much as an Alice at less weight, and he’s never complained when he dropped it to break camp. Idk how tested is proven, and I’m all for going with what you know, but I also think that there’s nothing wrong with testing something new:
    around the block,
    up a nature trail,
    on a weekend within walking distance of your car.... until you can trust it.

especially now that I’m getting old, and the half dozen injuries I ignored in my 20’s are catching up. They say an ounce somewhere turns into a pound later or something,
    But what does a member hiking the APT have to due with a Serviceman making it back HOME from a deployment? A standard Military Load is 66 LBS and it gets heavier for Spec OPS, try dragging that across the Appalachian Trail. When it comes to bang for the buck, I'll take that Old School Military Surplus equipment every day. It's cheaper and proven in conditions that most civilian folks ain't never going to experience. JMHO.

Now newer and lighter is going to be better, it just has to be proven afield by Professionals prior to me purchasing it, no matter the cost. A benefit of Old Age and Many Military Retirement Paychecks. JMHO.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Definitely train with the gear you use . When I was in service , we still used Alice gear . Just starting to transition to MOLLE . Used them both . Still like my medium/Lg Alice rucks . Of course there are some modifications to them . But , I too like the “latest and greatest “new eqpt .
    Yep me too. You should try out a MALICE pack. The best of both ALICE and MOLLE, it can move a whole lot of crap very comfortably. You can PM me one day and we'll go for a walk with a couple of my MALICE packs and you can see how you like them. Sometimes you can find surplus MALICE online, especially if you're not too picky on camo pattern or whether or not it comes with an ALICE frame, if you already have an ALICE frame. When packing serious weight, I very much prefer my MALICE over my Marine Corps ILBE and my MOLLE ACU large plastic framed rucksack, but I am biased. When I got out, I turned in all my MOLLE equipment to supply still brand new in the wrappers. I was an ALICE hold out to the very end of my 4 years. On my Harley, I used a black Eddie Bauer clone of a medium ALICE pack that I loved to death, literally, for years. I still have its holy carcass around here somewhere. Lately on my Harley I have been using a large black Camelback rucksack daily. I almost destroyed that Camelbak rucksack carrying a hundred pounds across two counties. Know when to sacrifice looks for cargo capacity! I should have brought an ALICE pack. It is way easier to bring too much bag than not enough bag! If only it was more fashionable to walk around town with a large ruck... I'd much rather have an overbuilt bag 100% of the time and not have any compromises on what I can or can't do... than risk a wardrobe malfunction on the trail or at 80mph on two wheels. I go thru a lot of bags as I'm on two wheels more often than not, even for grocery shopping and going to work, rain or shine, cold or hot. While one bag is drying out I just grab another. Side note, I'm the same way with boots, gloves, jackets and helmets, too. I have at least a dozen pairs of everything. I have to, just to keep dry on two wheels every day in Florida
    Screenshot_20211213-225514_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211213-225249_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The absolute hardest thing for me NOWADAYS,is trying to limit the stuff that I am NOT going to pack.
    Of course times have changed. Gettin' old is most likely the hardest thing that you will ever have to face in your life.
    Nowadays my app for my sling packs is:
    * Daytime in my buggy. Riding mostly familiar territory. Not in the deep woods.
    * Night time hunting in my buggy (same load out except for mag/ammo change).
    * Drive my buggy to an area then down to the edge of a Juniper swamp. (No more Esc Rvr WMA for me.)
    * Or on the back seat of my truck .... but gotta save room for my carbine and 120rds of M855 in 20rd mags.
    That is about it for this old fart. All the above in sling packs mentioned above. For an appropriate sling pack for daily/around town use,you can buy the cheaper brands from ebay. Most are $15 -$25.
    But I would reccomend a well thought out better quality pack for your other adventures.
    Will post pics of mine later. ---- SAWMAN

Tige

Who/where (born visible, identify as Trans-parent)
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    “Of course times have changed. Gettin' old is most likely the hardest thing that you will ever have to face in your life.”
    SAWMAN AINT WRONG.
    And it comes up fast. I miss being a flat bellied 19-year-old paratrooper warrior. At least I got to do it for many years… LOL

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Yep me too. You should try out a MALICE pack. The best of both ALICE and MOLLE, it can move a whole lot of crap very comfortably. You can PM me one day and we'll go for a walk with a couple of my MALICE packs and you can see how you like them. Sometimes you can find surplus MALICE online, especially if you're not too picky on camo pattern or whether or not it comes with an ALICE frame, if you already have an ALICE frame. When packing serious weight, I very much prefer my MALICE over my Marine Corps ILBE and my MOLLE ACU large plastic framed rucksack, but I am biased. When I got out, I turned in all my MOLLE equipment to supply still brand new in the wrappers. I was an ALICE hold out to the very end of my 4 years. On my Harley, I used a black Eddie Bauer clone of a medium ALICE pack that I loved to death, literally, for years. I still have its holy carcass around here somewhere. Lately on my Harley I have been using a large black Camelback rucksack daily. I almost destroyed that Camelbak rucksack carrying a hundred pounds across two counties. Know when to sacrifice looks for cargo capacity! I should have brought an ALICE pack. It is way easier to bring too much bag than not enough bag! If only it was more fashionable to walk around town with a large ruck... I'd much rather have an overbuilt bag 100% of the time and not have any compromises on what I can or can't do... than risk a wardrobe malfunction on the trail or at 80mph on two wheels. I go thru a lot of bags as I'm on two wheels more often than not, even for grocery shopping and going to work, rain or shine, cold or hot. While one bag is drying out I just grab another. Side note, I'm the same way with boots, gloves, jackets and helmets, too. I have at least a dozen pairs of everything. I have to, just to keep dry on two wheels every day in Florida View attachment 141039 View attachment 141038
    I did the Tactical Tailor Malice pack conversion . It’s awesome . Found a plastic wash pan that cover the whole bottom perfectly and goes up about 1/3 of the way up . Makes packing a breeze , stands up by itself , and I have a container for water etc .if needed . I have a shelf on mine as well . Great piece of gear .

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I did the Tactical Tailor Malice pack conversion . It’s awesome . Found a plastic wash pan that cover the whole bottom perfectly and goes up about 1/3 of the way up . Makes packing a breeze , stands up by itself , and I have a container for water etc .if needed . I have a shelf on mine as well . Great piece of gear .
    I had a shelf a few years ago, for a frame dedicated just for a water can. I should have never let that one go... I'm still looking for another shelf

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So let's talk footwear. Is it reasonable to pack another pair of footwear?
    Currently my Maximum total weight Field pack is 26 LBS, but is it worthwhile to pack another pair of footwear????

Top Bottom