• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What pack do you take afield, outside of the concrete Jungle. Is it a simple butt pack, messenger bag, perhaps a messenger bag in the radio pouch of an A.L.I.C.E. bag? Regardless of the pack/pouch/bag what is the priority of the items it carries?

Example:
    1. Survival Can/Kit.
    2.Water Purification Tablets.
    3.Surgical First Aid Kit.
    4.Insect Repellant.
    5.Lip/Sun Screen.
    etc-etc....

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I will say though that for about 20 years now I've been quite fond of my lucky butt pack and H harness while on the river in my canoe (but not anywhere else) and that it is way heavier than most other butt packs and yes it has saved the day multiple times. Mainly heavier because it includes a chain and lock for the boat and yes I have had to use the chain and walk out of the swamp until I found Hwy 90. And I will also say that canteens are a whole lot easier to fill with water in a creek than a water bladder and you should definitely bring way more canteens than you think you will actually use, because chances are you will run out of water if you are mobile. Oh, and that had I stayed put like 911 had told me to while they triangulated my cell phone signal (without telling me that's what they were doing, as I was calling them to leave me alone and that I wasn't going to pay for it if they sent somebody to get me, after I found out through conversation that my wife and best friend had called 911 on me) that it would have been over a week before they would have come across me where I'd had my boat chained up (instead of the two days/one night it was until I found my own way to Hwy 90 six miles later)... this HUMINT straight from the mouth of the search party leader, a former chief of East Milton Fire Department... who went back with me to go get my boat and told me that 911 got the grid wrong somehow. So yeah, water and ways to acquire water and carry water trump everything else in my pack. Try to find noninsulated steel canteens that you can cook and boil water in. This Stanley model is like the 10th one of these Stanley's I've had. They have two lids... one as a cap for drinking and one as a wide mouth for use as a pot. Saves weight, leaving the actual pot at home

Attachments

• 16388642567807053837467653755213.jpg
      16388642567807053837467653755213.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 105
    Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what is the minimum you take afield?
    A plastic bottle of water?
    Is your idea of going afield mowing the yard?
    Do you wear eye protection when running the weed whacker or chopping down the overgrowth?
    Just how many pounds do you feel comfortable humping afield all day long?
    I'm willing to bet that the ice chest folks take fishing weighs more than the field pack folks take hunting, into the brush.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    As a kid I went with just my machete. Eleven years old and running the swamps and building forts with my machete. Half the time barefoot. I had an awesome mom. Or a horrible mom... depending on where you stand. Still got the scars across three of my toes to prove it. Not even a canteen or pack or buttpack or first aid kit or compass or toilet paper... and certainly no firearms. Nothing but a knife. I was a knife collector a decade before I was ever on active duty and two decades before I ever owned my own firearm. Those knife, bushcraft and land navigation skills came in handy on active duty and afterwards in my career as a land surveyor. But I'll admit, the more "over the hill" I get the more stuff I take with me. We could say it's psychological, maybe a fear of dying or maybe subconscious acknowledgement that I'm not 10 foot tall and bulletproof anymore... but I know deep down that it's probably more likely because I've just got more money now and there's way more cool stuff on the market now than in the 80's

Last edited:

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i am working on my gear list now for a february hog hunt in texas. we are going "across the creek" to stalk/hunt an area that hasnt been hunted in a while. working on a chest rig and small assault-style pack to carry my possibles.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have quite a bit of expierance with this.
    Will you carry a handgun AND A LONG GUN ??
    What chemberings ?? How long will you be afield each time ??
    Will not be critical. Just trying to both learn and teach here.
    I have made multiple trips into Escambia River WMA both by foot and by boat, and long trecks into Eglin. --- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i am working on my gear list now for a february hog hunt in texas. we are going "across the creek" to stalk/hunt an area that hasnt been hunted in a while. working on a chest rig and small assault-style pack to carry my possibles.
    Some parts of Texas in Feb ain't exactly cargo shorts hunting conditions. Perhaps a space blanket or thermal bivvy in case things get rough enough that the trip back to the hunting cabin becomes extreme?

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i am an open book and always willing to take advice.

just a long gun. 18 inch AR in 5.56. this year i am shooting some barnes vor-tx 62 gr. tsx bt. that gun will have an ATN thor thermal scope/nikon p223. (depending if we go at night or day...still up in the air..)

we will be crossing a creek (think deep gully) by john boat then hunting 70 acres that havent been hunted in 19 years.

right now i am looking at binos, rangefinder, multitool, headlight, extra mag and gps/compass/map on my chest rig. (we want to do some mapping of the area for future feeder/stand sites.)

in the small assault pack will be ifak, ammo, water, snacks and snivel gear. (that will depend on the weather.)

all the above gear is familiar to me. i have hunted at this property before with it and just doing some tweaking to it. lightening the load, if anything, because i expect the terrain to possibly be gnarly.

i have built a little oh-shit kit in case something goes wrong and we stay longer than intended. poncho, heavyduty thermal blanket, firemaking kit and stuff to make hot wets.

plan to travel light as we can expect at least some rough terrain. there is a gasline right of way that we will work so it wont be all bushwacking.

we are hunting that area for eradication, not meat. too hard to bring it back. and also, as i said, to map out the area.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Some parts of Texas in Feb ain't exactly cargo shorts hunting conditions. Perhaps a space blanket or thermal bivvy in case things get rough enough that the trip back to the hunting cabin becomes extreme?
    I've used one of these SOL brand bivvy sacks in Maine... and even in Maine it was too warm, leaving pools of sweat on the floor of the sack and drenching me, nevermind dehydrating me. After that experience, I bought one of SOL's newer models that is perforated to allow the bivvy to breath, but at the cost of losing your waterproofness. And after moving home, I've yet to try it out because it isn't waterproof. It sits in a drawer for the what-if. My Goretex bivvy sack sees way more use. It is breathable and waterproof (for the most part, but the holes were my doing) and even though it's more bulky than a space blanket bivvy sack, it's worth it. Also, never underestimate a black extra large lawn and leaf bag as an emergency bivvy sack. It's added benefit as a container, solar water still, rain gear, interior pack waterproof bag, pack flotation device and pack rain cover all make an extra large lawn and leaf bag worth its weight in gold. And, as gross as it sounds, in a pinch you can find one of these gems on just about any city street corner and on any gas station island for free.

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Had a friend scold me for not having on of those extra large trash bags stashed in my gear years ago. Now I have extra in my gear as they are multi purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just like clothes, I gear up in levels.

Level one: LC-2 Web belt with butt pouch.
    On the web belt:
    (1) 2 quart canteen with cover and purification tabs.
    (1) 1 quart metal canteen with cup, cover, and purification tabs.
    Tritium Len static compass
    Lineman tool (multi-tool)
    Red Lens Angle head flashlight
    Full tang knife with scabbard, magnesium bar & sharpening equipment
    (optional Pistol Holster-Pistol- (3) Mags or speed loaders)

In the butt pouch:
    Survival Can/Kit.
    Water Purification Tablets.
    Surgical First Aid Kit.
    Insect Repellant.
    Lip/Sun Screen.
    Ultralight First aid kit.
    5 in one whistle with tinder & matches
    Mosquito Head net.
    50 ft. 550 cord.
    LED Head light.
    ziplock sandwich bag of baby wipes. (= toiletries & shower)
    10 sandwich bags ziplock.
    5 gallon size ziplock.
    Tiny package poncho.
    Pair of work gloves.
    Duct tape
    space blanket
    bivvy bag
    Deep Sea Monocular
    (1) 55 gallon garbage bag (spare)
    (1) 55 gallon garbage bag to wrap contents of butt pouch.(Total of 2)
    (optional OTIS rifle cleaning kit)

Next layer is the Messenger bag, then comes the medium ALICE or large ALICE with frame depending on duration/conditions of outing afield.

I'm not a big fan of the folding scalpels in most survival kits, so that is why I include the surgical emergency kit. Give me the Old one piece scalpel.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom