• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Thinking about buying a fat tire electric bike to use at the hunting camp.
    Brand, accessories, what are you using?
    Any reviews or advice would be appreciated.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've used a few. They do not perform near as well in sand as you would think. Every other type of terrain they are awesome. They definitely get fast enough that you could seriously hurt yourself on, so (as my mom would tell me in my late high-school days) "be careful and use protection" lol

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Try this make any bike electric .

I saw the Swytch ads a while ago.

Their website:

Basically, there's a waitlist for the next batch. When the previous batch was available on Amazon, the reviews are telling:

Jerry, I briefly researched e-bikes last year. There are different setups with the motor in one wheel's hub, or both wheels or at the pedals. Pros and cons to each depending on rider experience and use. The throttle can be a rotating grip or a toggle/lever/trigger (like gear shifter variants). With the various powerful motors (250W to 1000W or more), the throttle can make you jump the bike out from under you, if not careful. There are different modes for pedal assist or completely e-powered. Apparently, there are rules against using certain types on public lands?

Again, it's been a year, but since you want to use it out in the wilderness, it's worth double-checking. Sounds like others here will know more.

Also, think about useful time vs recharge time vs the ability to swap in a fresh battery. I'm not sure what your hunting camp setup will be like, but recharging a massive battery that can't be removed might be a deal-killer.

Let us know what you decide on.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The guys next doors bikes have 3X width tires of the "balloon" tires of my younger years.
    The power pack is low,between the tires. The gesrs are on the rear wheel hub. Kinda like the Shimano 10 speed with derailer. Unknown how many speeds but mechanical shift on handle bars.
    Power selector is rheiostat type on the right hand grip like a motorcycle.
    It is quite and powerful.
    Owner stated how far it would go on a complete charge. Don't remember the number,but do remember it seemed like farther than anyone would ever want to go on one ride.
    Did not ask cost. ---- SAWMAN

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    You want the pedal assist electric bikes, not the geared rear hubs that you dont have to pedal at all. I talked to a bike store downtown about the geared rear hub bikes, and he refuses to sell them. Says they are all the time breaking down because people use them like motorcycles and then they break down. Says he's always fixing the geared rear hubs, always breaking down. But the pedal assist motors are different and more reliable and can go faster. Look into the "cargo bike" models, with beefier frames and extra carrying capacity for running errands. You'll find yourself on it more and more. Very fun. I was going to buy one before I just went ahead and bought me another motorcycle. The bike shop on Stewart Street said they modified a cargo bike to use 12 volt deep cycle batteries and solar power and geared it up and said that it was on record going like 80 mph

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Back in 2002 I got pulled over by Santa Rosa County sheriff's as I was breaking a 45 mph speed limit on Hwy 90 on a mountain bike, downhilling just east of Avalon Blvd. So get a speedometer. And a headlamp, front headlight and a tail light. All available for less than $50. Cheap insurance

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    YEAH ..... that is right up there on my bucket list. Go 80mph .... ON A FREAKIN' BICYCLE.
    I believe my neighbor stated his bikes would go about 25mph.
    Anybody ever here the term - - -> BERMUDA ROAD RASH. Not pretty. --- SAWMAN

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    YEAH ..... that is right up there on my bucket list. Go 80mph .... ON A FREAKIN' BICYCLE.
    I believe my neighbor stated his bikes would go about 25mph.
    Anybody ever here the term - - -> BERMUDA ROAD RASH. Not pretty. --- SAWMAN
    Not a fan of motorcycles, I get it. I test drove Harley's new all electric bike a couple months ago. Bad ass. The wave of the future, at Pcola HD, and free test drives right now. That electric bike will do 0-60 in 3 seconds. Ultimately the same thing on an electric fat tire mountain bike, just a different powertrain. Always wear the proper PPE

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sir,if you attempted to do 0-60 on a motorcycle . . . WELL - -> ever heard of the simple laws of inertia ??
    How strong are you arms wrists,shoulders ??
    Wearing a helmet with full face shield ?? What do they weigh ?? What happens to your head/ neck during full acceleration ??
    I totally realize that you are a "BANGER" and I am simply a "FUDD" but Jesus guy !!!!
    Work the weight vs inertia numbers then get back to me . . . in PM if that would be better. ---- SAWMAN

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Juiced or Rad are the best for the money.

definitely a pedal assist bike.

look at range and power. These are very important.

mine runs pretty well in all terrain - but they are not made for water. If you are going to use one for hunting then check out the trailers as well.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Remember also gents ------ > you cannot use these bikes in Eglin or FWC where there are signs stating - -> "NO MOTORIZED VECHICLES ".
    I confirmed this with both state and federal wardens. And some Army Rangers from Camp Rudder that tried to sneek up on me during a "exercise" to nab several good ol' boy poachers in by Wolf Creek (Eglin). ---- SAWMAN

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sir,if you attempted to do 0-60 on a motorcycle . . . WELL - -> ever heard of the simple laws of inertia ??
    How strong are you arms wrists,shoulders ??
    Wearing a helmet with full face shield ?? What do they weigh ?? What happens to your head/ neck during full acceleration ??
    I totally realize that you are a "BANGER" and I am simply a "FUDD" but Jesus guy !!!!
    Work the weight vs inertia numbers then get back to me . . . in PM if that would be better. ---- SAWMAN
    Well, then me telling you I did a 140 mph on 2 wheels around NASCAR tracks would probably really not be good for your ticker. Definitely pedal assist is the way to go for e-bikes. Some of these e-bikes I've seen in the Harley Davidson dealerships use Dewalt batteries, though. It's hard to beat Dewalt's battery availability

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Remember also gents ------ > you cannot use these bikes in Eglin or FWC where there are signs stating - -> "NO MOTORIZED VECHICLES ".
    I confirmed this with both state and federal wardens. And some Army Rangers from Camp Rudder that tried to sneek up on me during a "exercise" to nab several good ol' boy poachers in by Wolf Creek (Eglin). ---- SAWMAN

Yes you can. They are legally a bicycle unless they are completely motorized and can - without pedaling - go over 25 mph.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oh,ok,so they do not have a motor.
    Sorry for my confusion.
    Did you get your info from a bro or by phoncon with Jackson Guard ?? --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom