• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billrv

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm one of those old school old guys....Really tried to commit to moving to a pistol optic I just couldn't get comfortable with it I do not doubt that some folks adapt easily, not me. That being said different is different not wrong, respect people opinions and choices train hard and be proficient with what you chose to carry

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I saw how the first page was going. Didn't read the rest.
    My take is with experience anything can be accurate. I'd bet you give a 5 year old a gun, or someone who has never held a pistol, can aquire a target faster with an optic.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'm one of those old school old guys....Really tried to commit to moving to a pistol optic I just couldn't get comfortable with it I do not doubt that some folks adapt easily, not me. That being said different is different not wrong, respect people opinions and choices train hard and be proficient with what you chose to carry
    That's right. Different is different, not necessarily wrong. And I'm glad I got my Holosun off of my 43X MOS, as going back to what I know and trust restored my accuracy, confidence and speed

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I saw how the first page was going. Didn't read the rest.
    My take is with experience anything can be accurate. I'd bet you give a 5 year old s gun, or someone who has never held a pistol, can aquire a target faster with an optic
    When Bubba was five, he never bothered with the sights or optics on anything.... he was hell on fire with a trigger, and he never missed the target, with iron sights. Of course, he was raised on Duck Hunt and Call of Duty from since before he could walk. He could put a thousand hits on moving targets every day and never leave the couch doing it. Point and click, hand/eye coordination, paired with a 30 rounder and a prayer that nobody we cared about would ever be on the wrong side of Bubba. An infrared gun controller is an excellent training tool. More people who'll drop a $1,000 at a time on guns should look into buying a $100 worth of Play Station 1 or 2 and a gun controller. I highly recommend "Police Trainer" and "Lethal Enforcers I and II". The Police Trainer console was in the E Club at Camp Wilson, MCAGCC 29 Palms. I could beat it start to finish without continuing.... I'd draw a crowd every time. Good times, with moving targets and triggers, only cost 25 cents per 1,000 rounds. Bubba has "Lethal Enforcers". Of course, I'm biased, with 30 years experience with nothing but iron sights. "Different is just different, not wrong." I like that
    Screenshot_20210414-234911_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-234520_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-234728_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    When Bubba was five, he never bothered with the sights or optics on anything.... he was hell on fire with a trigger, and he never missed the target. Of course, he was raised on Duck Hunt and Call of Duty from since before he could walk. He could put a thousand hits on target every day and never leave the couch doing it. Point and click, hand/eye coordination, paired with a 30 rounder and a prayer that nobody we cared about would ever be on the wrong side of Bubba. An infrared gun controller is an excellent training tool. More people who'll drop a $1,000 at a time on guns should look into buying a $100 worth of Play Station 1 or 2 and a gun controller. I highly recommend "Police Trainer" and "Lethal Enforcer I and II". The Police Trainer console was in the E Club at Camp Wilson, MCAGCC 29 Palms. I could beat it start to finish without continuing.... I'd draw a crowd every time. Good times. Bubba has "Lethal Enforcer" View attachment 116057 View attachment 116055 View attachment 116056
    Y'all want to talk electronics and guns... I'm sure I'll catch heat for this one

Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Thanks to all whom participated in the discussion. This is why "we" are such an awesome group with different points of view and experiences. The Aaron Cowan vides were a wonderful discovery. It would be great to if we could get everyone together for a shoot. Please keep the comments coming. I have a glock 43 I CC now. I did a pistol course with Deadly ThreatDefense last year using a glock 30 and shot about 500 rds of .45. I am researching the M&P M2.0, Sig P365XL, Walther PDP, Springfield Hellcat and glock 43X MOS. Thanks again.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where the rubber meets the road with firearms is the "User". Throughout firearm history there have been major advances/innovations that are in fact a leap in technology but also need "acceptances and application in common use". Muzzle to breach loading, BP to Smokeless, . Single Action, DA SA/DA, DAO, semi-auto. Some innovation fizzled: gyro-jet, electric ignition primers, smart-guns. "Ugly" can also deter innovations general acceptance but the "ain't broke: don't need fixed" decision is mostly an individual one, sometimes fostered by economics. Buying innovation and actually fully understanding how to utilize it is a matter of "its complexity", example: Mil Dot (USMC/Army) scopes mounted on thousands of rifles and the owner doesn't know the MV of his cartridge, math, firing solutions???? Luckily, handgun optics are not that complicated. A 2YO can begin to utilize a "kids tablet" device. Growing up with tech is easier than transitioning to something for the first time. With firearms, there's additional requirements of Trust and Response Default and they are the toughest hurdles to conquer.

My Oh, Shit optics moment occurred when I read the Corps was using/training and QUALIFYING Recruits with a Rifle Optic. Pure Blasphemy! It didn't matter to me that the FMF had been using them for years. Boot Camp was "basic training", Every Marine is a Basic Rifleman; yet iron sights were sidelined. Also, most Marine Service Pistol assignments have been eliminated, Tanks are being phased out along with over half of it's Arty capability. Evolution of the Beast.

There is zero point in arguing whether irons or optics are better on a handgun: Orgs in the Profession of Arms have weighed in already and I don't know one that considered it and said Irons were better and faster for putting rounds into the target. Going back, it was the stage of technology or total cost factors that stopped earlier adoption. On the LE side it's far from universal on handguns usage but on Cruiser Carbines they are very common. Shooters will continue to individualize their gear and shooting style preferences. For civs you only need to satisfy yourself. In the various Professions of Arms you must meet the standard they set, with the gear they prescribe.

Gun stuff, pick a topic and there will always be debate! Lol

Metal Storm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Just buying a new pistol with or without optics takes practice and ammo to become proficient and to have confidence in that pistol. A few years back I purchased a new Kimber Solo and had nothing but issues with it. On the 4th time back at the factory they said you are not getting this back and i said great.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    How comfortable are you with your cc?
    How much time and rounds are you willing to expend to practice and gain that same proficiency with a new aim system

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Admittedly I do not know it all,however with my expierances,and my past training,I am now fully capeable of trainig myself.
    I say this with respect to the trainers and their students. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Have 2 of these now, pmr30 with ff2 and 509t with swampfox justice. Is there some way to train with the pistol red dot that dosent involve me pissing away ammo while I figure out how to use it properly???

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Have 2 of these now, pmr30 with ff2 and 509t with swampfox justice. Is there some way to train with the pistol red dot that dosent involve me pissing away ammo while I figure out how to use it properly???
    Some snap caps emit a laser when "fired" with every pull of the trigger. For long enough that you can see your follow thru motions written in red laser on the target

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Training with a red dot and is similar to training with any iron sighted pistol. As long as you know your zero amd what your holdovers are at closer distances.
    There's a plethora of information about dryfire and then some specific to rds handguns.

Top Bottom