Braced Pistols to become SBR's starting in December?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingershooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I haven't had the time to go through the form. Is it the same form 1 for SBR, or is it special for pistol, or is there a box you check for brace ? In my head there is no way the ATF will let you register a full blown SBR with a stock for free.
    From what I've read once you register it as an SBR with the brace, and have your stamp you are free to swap it to a stock. Says it on their FAQ. It's hard because there is so much disinformation on both sides, even that video posted while is informative is wrong. Form ones take 15 days to 45, not the 6-8 months or whatever they strongly claimed. I donate to GOA and stand behind them but at the same time they are a business. Hopefully Matt Gaetz can get some stuff done

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I haven't had the time to go through the form. Is it the same form 1 for SBR, or is it special for pistol, or is there a box you check for brace ? In my head there is no way the ATF will let you register a full blown SBR with a stock for free.
    The E-forms system actually has a special entry for people seeking to get the free stamp.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 07-21-04 eForms.png
      Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 07-21-04 eForms.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 43

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    From what I've read once you register it as an SBR with the brace, and have your stamp you are free to swap it to a stock. Says it on their FAQ. It's hard because there is so much disinformation on both sides, even that video posted while is informative is wrong. Form ones take 15 days to 45, not the 6-8 months or whatever they strongly claimed. I donate to GOA and stand behind them but at the same time they are a business. Hopefully Matt Gaetz can get some stuff done
    My last form 1 SBR took exactly 3 months and one week. IT wasn't a brace though, and if you change out the brace you will need to make a second filing to update the OAL or OALs in your documentation.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    History...

Weimar Republic
    Starting with the Reichsgesetz über Schusswaffen und Munition (Reich law on firearms and ammunition), enacted on 12 April 1928, weapon purchase permits were introduced, which only allowed "authorized persons" the purchase and possession of firearms.

this paved the way for the rest of the crazy shit.
    People who don't know history are doomed to repeat it!!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My last form 1 SBR took exactly 3 months and one week. IT wasn't a brace though, and if you change out the brace you will need to make a second filing to update the OAL or OALs in your documentation.
    My M16 receiver was papered as a receiver only (Type of Firearm: "Machine Gun Receiver"). After adding a stock and bbl, I simply wrote ATF with the new oal and bbl length (caliber of .223 was already on the original transfer form). ATF sent back a letter saying thank you and that the registry had been updated to reflect the new info. I kept the ATF letter with my Form 4 since the Form 4 showed it as a receiver only. This was in 1994. It was no big deal or hassle to do what I did. I would swap out uppers and stocks for different shooting outings, but those changes were only temporary so there was no need to inform ATF of that.

Last edited:

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My M16 receiver was papered as a receiver only.
    I don't think they allow that anymore, you have to declare a caliber, barrel length, and over all length now. Your way is objectively better though.

Here's an article from 2017 on Ammoland, after some of the rule changes.
    Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 11-44-25 Form 1 How To Fill Out & Make an NFA Firearm – The Legal Bri...png

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Correct, you don't need authorization to make configuration changes, especially if you retain the parts to bring it back to as listed. You can inform the BATFE NFA branch, but it's notification only.

Just like moving intra-state; you can just write them a letter and they'll get back to you with confirmation in about 12-18 months. They want you to do a form 5320.20 now, which I have done but I state on the form it's intra-state and for notification only.

This from a branch that mailed me saying I had an illegal SBS after listing it on an intra-state move notification.

I called the examiner up and said "I have a valid Form 4 signed BY YOU, here is the #, etc".

"Oh, I'm sorry about that, we had the serial number wrong..."

iu

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    When I sold a suppressor, ATF wrote I had the serial number wrong and wouldn't approve the transfer until I corrected the serial number. I wrote back with a copy of the original ATF approval cover letter and a photo of the tube, both showing that I had the right serial number and ATF was wrong. The transfer was then approved.

My instance and the one listed above in post #439 show that one could be in trouble if law enforcement or an ATF agent called ATF to verify legal ownership. Scary :eek:

Top Bottom