HD Tactical

Braced Pistols to become SBR's starting in December?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

New illegal ATF ruling changing laws to make braced pistols SBR's starting in December. Apparently, they'll give an amnesty period where you can form 1 the weapon for free, but it will still be an NFA item from then on, and subject to whatever they decide after the fact concerning NFA items. Also, makes them damned hard to sell later on.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah. It's a mess. Myself tho I been thinking ahead as far as this is concerned. I've tried to buy bufferless guns. The ones I do have braces on I can simply remove the cuff and just use the brace arm as a stick on my shoulder. None have a super recoil bad enough to warrant all the extra fuss for a cuff/stock portion.

However, I think this will be the red line as far as compliance goes. I think many will just ignore this, and or finally step up and say enough is enough. Myself I'm handicapped. This is what the whole reason was for even starting these, and they was approved for this reason. They should at least exclude the handicaps and allow them to keep using them. After all if you're forced to SBR the thing you don't even need the brace anymore if you're not handicapped. Just slap a stock on it. To keep a brace implies you actually need one. Which many do.

Them stepping up now suddenly and saying they're short barreled rifles further makes the case of how the ATF is useless. They're basically saying they sat by and allowed the sale of NFA items in the open market, for years! It's nonsense. The writing was on the wall when last year they announced the ATF was doubling in size on thier feild offices. This is just the start

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Free form 1 then I’ll throw stocks on anything with a brace.
    Pretty much, but you have to submit pictures with the weapon with a brace on it at the time of submission, then I guess you can do whatever you want with it after that, aside from cross state lines without prior authorization, the same with any other NFA item.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah. It's a mess. Myself tho I been thinking ahead as far as this is concerned. I've tried to buy bufferless guns. The ones I do have braces on I can simply remove the cuff and just use the brace arm as a stick on my shoulder. None have a super recoil bad enough to warrant all the extra fuss for a cuff/stock portion.

However, I think this will be the red line as far as compliance goes. I think many will just ignore this, and or finally step up and say enough is enough. Myself I'm handicapped. This is what the whole reason was for even starting these, and they was approved for this reason. They should at least exclude the handicaps and allow them to keep using them. After all if you're forced to SBR the thing you don't even need the brace anymore if you're not handicapped. Just slap a stock on it. To keep a brace implies you actually need one. Which many do.

Them stepping up now suddenly and saying they're short barreled rifles further makes the case of how the ATF is useless. They're basically saying they sat by and allowed the sale of NFA items in the open market, for years! It's nonsense. The writing was on the wall when last year they announced the ATF was doubling in size on thier feild offices. This is just the start
    From what I gather, you'll have to put braces on them and take pictures to file the form 1. Guess you could just move your brace between weapons and take pictures that way. But, afterwards, if it's a registered SBR, then you could always just slap whatever you wanted on it.
    Personally, I never saw much use in a short-barreled AR, at least in 5.56. They're loud and the short barrel really impacts the effectiveness of the cartridge, but I can see a draw for something like 300 blackout, especially if you're using a can. But, with an NFA item, you're basically signing a contract that says the government can dictate where you go with your weapon and can request inspecting it at any time they want to make sure it's still in your possession and properly stored or whatever.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    From what I gather, you'll have to put braces on them and take pictures to file the form 1. Guess you could just move your brace between weapons and take pictures that way. But, afterwards, if it's a registered SBR, then you could always just slap whatever you wanted on it.
    Personally, I never saw much use in a short-barreled AR, at least in 5.56. They're loud and the short barrel really impacts the effectiveness of the cartridge, but I can see a draw for something like 300 blackout, especially if you're using a can. But, with an NFA item, you're basically signing a contract that says the government can dictate where you go with your weapon and can request inspecting it at any time they want to make sure it's still in your possession and properly stored or whatever.
    Yeah. To me its a trap. It's all part of this anti gun movement. Registry always leads to confiscations. Period.
    Myself I'll avoid it at all costs. But, later they will surely then analyze each gun under a microscope and then dictate your SBR in other ways, such as what sights and optics it has on it. They released a point system that seemed like it was written by a drunk dungeons and dragons game maker. All that was missing was rolls of the dice. All the factors are so subjective it was crazy. Anyways the brace aspect is just a portion of what they use to determine a "SBR" after what I've seen.
    Many say once you sign of for these NFA style items then you have to add 10 layers of extra security also to your home and deny access to even your wife. They can't even know the codes to the safe etc. Then yeah the Stateline issues also. Then many say they can search and inspect this item whenever they want. Not sure about that one tho as I've heard they can't. Either way it don't sound good to me.
    The last "amnesty" they did was so sloppy that I saw somewhere that even some felons slipped thru the cracks and got legal machine guns in thier names. Only those tho, thank goodness tho. They could have gotten legal revolvers! That would be bad lol. I forget where I saw that but yeah it supposedly happened for real.
    I wonder what happens when they for some reason deny an application after its sent, complete with photo. Do they now have photo evidence of a crime?
    During a time where they're openly calling for bans and confiscation of certain types of guns, to me seems like the worst time to register them.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah. It makes me wish now that all the money people spent to skirt all these weird laws was instead spent on solving the real issues at hand and getting our rights back. With all the hundreds, or thousands we've spent on weird devices we could have instead used that to fight a legal battle instead.
    A gun is a gun. They know this. Stop with the games and let's deal with the real issues at hand somehow. The whole death by a thousand cuts thing is old and getting more and more obvious hopefully. I'm over it myself.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It’s why I never had any desire to travel down the SBR or Pistol road. Long guns only for me.
    I feel the same way. I like the idea of a shorter rifle, but short barrels in most rifle calibers really hurt the performance. Guess that's why I have always been drawn to bullpups, though they are not without their faults (i.e. shit triggers).

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I feel the same way. I like the idea of a shorter rifle, but short barrels in most rifle calibers really hurt the performance. Guess that's why I have always been drawn to bullpups, though they are not without their faults (i.e. shit triggers).
    300 BO is the majority of what I keep with me for this exact reason.

Back to the whole- they have no business regulating anything to do with "Arms."

I guess they want to force a confrontation. :(

Top Bottom