Patriot Mobile

What's your favorite, real life snake gun?...the one you take while hiking, camping, canoeing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I am collecting information. What of kind pit viper chased you. Three people that I trust say they were aggressively approached by water moccasins.

There is also the story of water moccasin mating balls and swimmers being killed by such. I never have been able to confirm that story. But a police officer that handled homicides scenes said a water skier's body was recovered from the escambia river with multiple bites.
    I heard about the Escambia River incident. I've seen them moccasins do that once, too, mating and rolling all over each other at the waters edge of a log jam, downstream of the confluence of Blackwater River and Juniper Creek. That area has gone completely back to nature because nobody rents canoes or kayaks down there. Blackwater was high about 5 feet, and I thought I might could bust thru to the confluence of the Coldwater. I went as far as I could, chained up my canoe, spent the night and walked out about 5 miles in the morning. The water channel just dissapeared into the trees. It's backing up with sand more and more every second. I went back a couple years later and it was ankle deep a couple hundred yards further upstream from where I'd camped. That second trip was about 7 or 8 years ago. It'll be ankle deep up at the last bridge on Juniper and at Deatons bridge before too long

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every male member of my family has been chased by moccasins on Pond Creek
    Perhaps the moccasins on Pond Creek are more aggressive. Several subspecies of water moccasin are recognized.
    The local snakes shown in grey are intermediates of the three subspecies. I do not know if this has any influenced on behavior, should help with diversity.
    1617888894503.png

joe2wheels

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Generally a .22 handgun, because I enjoy plinking along the way.
    I would have had a Taurus Judge (6") a long time ago if Taurus would utilize the same choke feature that TC and the Super Comanche use. That makes for a very effective use of shot shells in a handgun.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Generally a .22 handgun, because I enjoy plinking along the way.
    I would have had a Taurus Judge (6") a long time ago if Taurus would utilize the same choke feature that TC and the Super Comanche use. That makes for a very effective use of shot shells in a handgun.
    The carbine has it. Circuit Judge, fyi. Really fun revolving carbine.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A good friend of mine that I used to work with worked at the Ross Allen Reptile Institute and milked various venomous snakes including cobras, rattlesnakes, bushmasters, black mambas, etc for their venom that went to various research facilities. According to him water moccasin's were the most unpredictable and extremely hard to handle of all of them! Just my .02 worth!

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a pond at my last house and would occasionally see moccasins as well as banded water snakes. The moccasins seemed to want to coil up and open their mouth when encountered. The water snake seemed like the aggressive one. I did have two moccasins strike a shovel when I tried to get them off the porch. But they struck after they had already coiled up.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I heard about the Escambia River incident. I've seen them moccasins do that once, too, mating and rolling all over each other at the waters edge of a log jam, downstream of the confluence of Blackwater River and Juniper Creek. That area has gone completely back to nature because nobody rents canoes or kayaks down there. Blackwater was high about 5 feet, and I thought I might could bust thru to the confluence of the Coldwater. I went as far as I could, chained up my canoe, spent the night and walked out about 5 miles in the morning. The water channel just dissapeared into the trees. It's backing up with sand more and more every second. I went back a couple years later and it was ankle deep a couple hundred yards further upstream from where I'd camped. That second trip was about 7 or 8 years ago. It'll be ankle deep up at the last bridge on Juniper and at Deatons bridge before too long
    The incident I am talking for the water skier did not happen recently. But I am not sure how far back in time it might have happened. Perhaps it may have happened more than once.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am collecting information. What of kind pit viper chased you. Three people that I trust say they were aggressively approached by water moccasins.

There is also the story of water moccasin mating balls and swimmers being killed by such. I never have been able to confirm that story. But a police officer that handled homicides scenes said a water skier's body was recovered from the escambia river with multiple bites.
    I've heard that before. It was many many many years ago that I heard about it.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I actually did that for a rattlesnake on the road going into the range one time. Told the guys about it that were there shooting and they said that I should have killed it. I have killed rattlesnakes before, but for that one I figured that I was in his territory and I let him be.
    Missed a free lunch!!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The incident I am talking for the water skier did not happen recently. But I am not sure how far back in time it might have happened. Perhaps it may have happened more than once.
    I heard that water skier one when I was a kid. I think it's an urban legend. I've heard two or 3 versions, one its a kid, one it's a girl and happened in ( insert location you go)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I heard that water skier one when I was a kid. I think it's an urban legend. I've heard two or 3 versions, one its a kid, one it's a girl and happened in ( insert location you go)
    I heard the story from an escambia deputy with lieutenant ranking that did homicide scenes. He has been retired for some years now.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    I don't kill them, I simply walk around them. If I see one on the road I will stop and get a stick and fling them off the road into the grass or woods so they won't get run over. I actually don't mind snakes, I believe they help keep the rodent population down, Now spiders and roaches I scream like a little girl and run away.
    Well said. They're just minding their own business, just like we are.

Imagine is snakes roamed around with people guns.... I'd hope they feel the same way I do lol

RaySendero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't think some here "gathering information" have been around water moccasins enough to get to know them. Yes me and my son have been aggressively chased and struck at. Have also almost stepped on one near water edge and all it did was show its white mouth. Even squirrel hunting my dog stepped on one twice and it didn't bite. So you just don't know. Cottonmouths are dangerous and unpredictable.

Won't take chances with the kids and dogs in yard - I kill poisonous snakes on the property.

RaySendero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Even the dogs have better sense - They usually chase down and kill every thing that comes out of the "swamp".
    Twice I've seen them spot a moccasin and backed off away. One real big stump tail actually get off one of my game cameras!

PS: I do get a lot of help with the snakes: Have a hawk hunting out back in daylight, At night have 2 screech owls and 2 hoot owls hunting back there, and a big king snake that I haven't seen but last years shed skin measured 5' - this years over 6'.

Top Bottom