• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think a good battle rifle is somthing alot of gun guys think of. For me it comes down to knock down power, ammo availability, mag capacity, and reliablity. Mine is the AK-47.

So the question is what is your battle rifle?

Pictures welcome!

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My question is, what is knock down power?

Stopping power is the ability of a firearm or other weapon to cause a penetrating ballistic injury to a target (human or animal) enough to incapacitate the target where it stands. This contrasts with lethality in that it pertains only to a weapon's ability to incapacitate quickly, regardless of whether death ultimately ensues. Some theories of stopping power involve concepts such as "energy transfer" and "hydrostatic shock", although there is disagreement regarding the importance of these effects.

Stopping power is related to the physical properties of the bullet and the effect it has on its target, but the issue is complicated and not easily studied. Critics contend that the importance of "one-shot stop" statistics is overstated, pointing out that most gun encounters do not involve a "shoot once and see how the target reacts" situation.

Stopping is usually caused not by the force of the bullet (especially in the case of handgun and rifle bullets), but by the damaging effects of the bullet, which are typically a loss of blood, and with it, blood pressure. More immediate effects can result when a bullet damages parts of the central nervous system, such as the spine or brain. In response to addressing stopping power issues, the Mozambique Drill was developed to maximize the likelihood of a target's quick incapacitation.

(wikipedia description)

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My "battle rifle" is a HK91. I bought this weapon for myself for a retirement present. I ordered it from a local gun shop in Maine in 1987. Cost $680. Stored with this gun is 300rds of a combo of AP and FMJ milspec ammo. I have almost all the HK accessories for this gun including the carry handle,bi-pod,sight adjustment tool and claw mount. I have 8 of the origional H&K 20rd mags. The scope mount has a low power Leupold in it and this system is the ONLY true return to zero setup that I have ever used. --- SAWMAN

Hunkyfish

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    Nice Choice Sawman
    :rockon:
    Mine is a Cetme, the predecessor to Sawman's HK91.
    AK, Cetme & HighPoint 008.jpg
    It was beat to hell when I got it for $450, but I've managed to bring her back to life with new cocking lever, new rollers, HK firing pin & spring, a paddle mag release kit waiting for time & now a new hammer spring I'm putting in today.
    I tapped the stainless receiver for a scope rail & bedded the picatinny rail, adding a 1/2inch riser to allow iron site use under the Barska 4x12x42 IR.
    I refinished the wood with West Systems Epoxy & added removable rails to add a forward grip or bipod when needed & 1/2 brass spacers to the buttstock for a longer LOP.
    I've got 7 of the original Cetme steel, 8 HK alum, & 4 HK steel mags, all 20 rds & a 5rd HK mag for hunting.
    This gun has been a learning experience,,, in many ways especially since I started reloading for it.

Oh Yeah,,,,, I gotta an AK for backup :peace:

Attachments

• AK, Cetme & HighPoint 008.jpg
      AK, Cetme & HighPoint 008.jpg
      142.7 KB · Views: 724
    • AK, Cetme & HighPoint 003.jpg
      AK, Cetme & HighPoint 003.jpg
      129.9 KB · Views: 693
    Last edited:

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FN FAL would be my choice in a 18 para configuration. I've had an M1A and think the ergonomics are not as good. Not to mention that mounting scopes are a pain.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My battle rifle, should I ever have to use one, is my AMD-65. I stock ammo, mags and drums, and have a nifty tactical assault vest for it. I aslo keep 2 SKS rifles handy so myself and one ir two others could fend off attackers with the same pool of ammo.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My newly acquired DRACO pistol is my new house/SHTF gun, I have a sweet laser/flashlight combo ordered for it as well as a red dot scope-
    AKdraco.JPG

I also love my Kel Tec SU16B which folds nicely into my bug-out pack. SU16.1.jpg

Attachments

• SU16.1.jpg
      SU16.1.jpg
      243 KB · Views: 661
    • AKdraco.JPG
      AKdraco.JPG
      14.7 KB · Views: 670

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    aot1.jpg

and

1287723990.jpg

Handy to have both in 45ACP

Attachments

• aot1.jpg
      aot1.jpg
      6.8 KB · Views: 510
    • 1287723990.jpg
      1287723990.jpg
      26 KB · Views: 520

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on situation... since I prefer to engauge targets from a distance I choose my custom ruger M77 Mk II in 30-06. I have others to choose from if other means are necessary. I prefer not to elaborate I prefer OPSEC.

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a very abstract question. Terra factors and enviornmental issuses would be the variables to answer this question.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I assume by battle rifle that we are going by the common definition of a rifle that uses a full power cartridge , ie .308. 7.62x39 and 5.56 don't count.

I would take an AR if were talking about intermediate calibers, but FAL if your talking battle rifles.

Fishyfingers

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never been in a battle but I have given it a great deal of thought running various scenarios. There are many factors that would change my go-to weapon but let's say we are talking about being attacked by a number of lightly armed and armored individuals at close range. I want a weapon with high manueverability, high capacity( i don't want to be reloading) and stopping power as described previously. Do my damage and back out as soon as possible. An AK or M4 get my nod for that scenario. If I know I will be engaging targets beyond 300yds I much rather have a scoped full size semiauto or even one of my hunting rifles. This is all based on the assumption that I know the "battle" is coming to me. Otherwise I will likely have my cell phone, keys, possibly a pistol or a brick, flower pot, tree branch or broom handle.

Top Bottom