• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ignore the messy bench. My stock came in today and I got it all fitted together. Just need the ATF to quit holding onto my cans and Ill have a nice quiet little 22 with an 18.5 inch barrel. :)

Anyone have any ideas on a muzzle device while I wait for the ATF to finish approving some paperwork?

View attachment 208633

Im going to go work on zeroing next weekend.

Shoutout to @flipparker for the advice. :)
    Just get a thread protector, you’ll want one anyways unless the can will live on only that rifle.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve been doing a ton of gun stuff every day since it’s the shooting season. I shot Florida State Championships and placed in the top five in Limited. I will be shooting the Florida Open next and then Area 6 Championships.

So I’m either reloading, dry-firing, going to the range, maintaining equipment, reading the notes I take at the match of things I did well (validating training regimens) and things I did poorly (invalidation of the same) and making up drills to address shortcomings.

I’m teaching a lot as well because it’s that time of year. Also running a lot of remedials for folks that aren’t up to speed.

Gun stuff will dominate my day to day until about mid-May.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Powder coated my first bullets today. Two different 230 grain 45 cal bullets. The blue were shaken with airsoft bb's. Red no bb's, purple I used the bb's from the blue in with the red. Baked in convection toaster oven 30 mins @ 400.

Attachments

• 20230208_181746.jpg
      20230208_181746.jpg
      120 KB · Views: 23
    • 20230208_181759.jpg
      20230208_181759.jpg
      110.6 KB · Views: 24
    • 20230208_181827.jpg
      20230208_181827.jpg
      113.9 KB · Views: 24

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is having coated bullets worth the effort of doing it yourself as opposed to buying pre-coated bullets?

I’ve never checked the cost/benefit of DIY coatings so I have no base of knowledge.

Edit: They look really well done! Smooth and shiny. Nice work!

nwfdub

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, they get run through the bullet sizing die after powder coating. This was my first attempt and I am very happy with how they turned out and with how easy the process was.
    Looks good. You did the acetone method then?

Sent from my SM-G736U using Tapatalk

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Looks good. You did the acetone method then?

Sent from my SM-G736U using Tapatalk
    No acetone. I just put the dry powder, bullets and black airsoft bb's in a sour cream container and shook them for 1 minute. Took out of powder with small needle nose pliers and tapped on side of container to remove excess powder then placed on non stick aluminum foil to bake. I think in the future I am going to pour into a screen basket and shake to remove a little more of the powder before baking. The acetone method looked like it took more than one coat. This is just one coat.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    No acetone. I just put the dry powder, bullets and black airsoft bb's in a sour cream container and shook them for 1 minute. Took out of powder with small needle nose pliers and tapped on side of container to remove excess powder then placed on non stick aluminum foil to bake. I think in the future I am going to pour into a screen basket and shake to remove a little more of the powder before baking. The acetone method looked like it took more than one coat. This is just one coat.
    So this is to keep barrel fouling down?? Or help hold the bullet together under high pressure?

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    So this is to keep barrel fouling down?? Or help hold the bullet together under high pressure?
    I decided to do it for several reasons, eliminates barrel leading when shooting cast bullets, much cleaner than lubing bullets, don't have to worry about lead contamination when loading cast bullets and they smoke less when you shoot them. I shoot cowboy action and wild bunch which are fairly light loads, cowboy action are extremely light, wild bunch only has to make a power factor of 150 so I am not pushing anything really fast but powder coating does let you push cast bullets faster.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I decided to do it for several reasons, eliminates barrel leading when shooting cast bullets, much cleaner than lubing bullets, don't have to worry about lead contamination when loading cast bullets and they smoke less when you shoot them. I shoot cowboy action and wild bunch which are fairly light loads, cowboy action are extremely light, wild bunch only has to make a power factor of 150 so I am not pushing anything really fast but powder coating does let you push cast bullets faster.
    When shooting my webley after shooting lead I shoot fmj thru it to help. About every 30 rds or so. It helps.

Top Bottom