• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If we don't hear the audio recording: it didnt happen! Lol. Well done, I love pushing guns/cartridges to their limits. When one man owned one gun, you can bet he knew the hold over/wind adjustment to stretch its legs "a far piece".

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If we don't hear the audio recording: it didnt happen! Lol. Well done, I love pushing guns/cartridges to their limits. When one man owned one gun, you can bet he knew the hold over/wind adjustment to stretch its legs "a far piece".

The wind was blowing today. I would be about on with a 5 foot Kentucky wind age- then the wind would stop and I would be WAY off.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Picked up the 55 grain projectiles KoolJay had for sale and made arrangements to swap primers with the old boy I met at his yard sale last Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Today Grey Man was almost $5 cheaper per box than Gulf Coast Guns on Tulammo. But where Grey Man had like 5 or 6 boxes, Gulf Coast Guns had like 30 or 40 boxes. Also, Grey Man has a stash of new noncorrosive 7.62x25 by S&B

BOHUNTER

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Scored some .277 Spire point 270 Bullets, a Timney single stage trigger, a few trinkets for a P80 build and ar pieces just to fill the blank spot in my box of goodies. I missed my deadline yesterday but pulled our a buy today!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Wife positive for covid, so Health Dept says we are both in quarantine for 14 days. So, separate bathrooms and bedrooms. Not eating or watching TV together (she has the TV). Mask wearing. Wife's surgery for today was cancelled. My heart scan cancelled. NO Covid symptoms for either of us and we try to be covid careful anyway. Day 3 of quarantine. She had covid test Monday prior to surgery. Daughter goes grocery shopping and drops food off in our garage. So, I spend a lot of time in the shed reloading and clearing some downed cut up trees.

Today my brass and dies arrived for my 12.7x44R M1867 Swedish rolling block (previously posted here about that rifle). Took a chance on not buying a shell holder, hoping I had one on hand that would work...Lee 45/70 holder fit perfectly. Had already decided on the some loads to test (mild loads with Unique, going to other powders if need be). Loaded up 11, 11.5, and 12 grains of Unique with the Lee 515-450 cast bullet (445gr with 20/1 lead/tin) and sized .512", about the size of my groove diameter. Fired one shot in the yard just to see and found the firing pin hits close to the edge of the primer, but it goes bang.

I am quarantined from people...was not told I can't go to the neighbor's range alone, so off to the neighbor's range.

11gr Unique: Not terrible and windage-wise it's centered. Stringing up and down, so perhaps the velocities were not consistent. Not surprised when an old military single shot hits high at closer distance. I was shooting at 29yd. Sights set at the lowest setting of 120 Alen. Alen = Swedish distance measurement of 59.38cm. Roughly 120 Alen = 80yd.

3672DEDE-1512-4415-93E0-6ACFD22BBF40.jpeg

11.5gr Unique: Ooh, a better group. Let's keep testing.

321ABD99-39D4-45C1-BAEB-6D1F009BD9A7.jpeg

12gr Unique: Now we're talking; a nice round 5 shot group centered and a bit lower. Will load more of that load and shoot more. Considering the sights and my eyes + a heavy trigger pull, I can't hit much better. I think I got my load already. No bore leading evident after a total of 17 shots.

0EC8482C-94E7-4054-9AF3-7D1923FB3BF7.jpeg

Dug one bullet out of the berm. 445gr before and dug bullet weighed 440gr. Deep grooves in that Swedish barrel, typical of old BP rifles. No idea of the velocity, but not much kick with that heavy long rifle. Had been looking for a nice M1867 Swede with matching numbers, good bore, and unit disk in the stock for quite a while and finally found one on Gunbroker. Didn't want it to get away and it had a "buy now" on it with an offer of no CC fee and free shipping if I went that route, so I did. Found a place with a couple of Husqvarna made M1867 bayonets, so I might pick one up for it. Now if I could just find a Swedish tricorne Landstorm (home guard) hat (have never seen one for sale).
    1612489036091.png

EC2E72DF-D227-4473-96A3-28FAE4F7370B.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Wife positive for covid, so Health Dept says we are both in quarantine for 14 days. So, separate bathrooms and bedrooms. Not eating or watching TV together (she has the TV). Mask wearing. Wife's surgery for today was cancelled. My heart scan cancelled. NO Covid symptoms for either of us and we try to be covid careful anyway. Day 3 of quarantine. She had covid test Monday prior to surgery. Daughter goes grocery shopping and drops food off in our garage. So, I spend a lot of time in the shed reloading and clearing some downed cut up trees.

Today my brass and dies arrived for my 12.7x44R M1867 Swedish rolling block (previously posted here about that rifle). Took a chance on not buying a shell holder, hoping I had one on hand that would work...Lee 45/70 holder fit perfectly. Had already decided on the some loads to test (mild loads with Unique, going to other powders if need be). Loaded up 11, 11.5, and 12 grains of Unique with the Lee 515-450 cast bullet (445gr with 20/1 lead/tin) and sized .512", about the size of my groove diameter. Fired one shot in the yard just to see and found the firing pin hits close to the edge of the primer, but it goes bang.

I am quarantined from people...was not told I can't go to the neighbor's range alone, so off to the neighbor's range.

11gr Unique: Not terrible and windage-wise it's centered. Stringing up and down, so perhaps the velocities were not consistent. Not surprised when an old military single shot hits high at closer distance. I was shooting at 29yd. Sights set at the lowest setting of 120 Alen. Alen = Swedish distance measurement of 59.38cm. Roughly 120 Alen = 80yd.

View attachment 106716

11.5gr Unique: Ooh, a better group. Let's keep testing.

View attachment 106717

12gr Unique: Now we're talking; a nice round 5 shot group centered and a bit lower. Will load more of that load and shoot more. Considering the sights and my eyes + a heavy trigger pull, I can't hit much better. I think I got my load already. No bore leading evident after a total of 17 shots.

View attachment 106724

Dug one bullet out of the berm. 445gr before and dug bullet weighed 440gr. Deep grooves in that Swedish barrel, typical of old BP rifles. No idea of the velocity, but not much kick with that heavy long rifle. Had been looking for a nice M1867 Swede with matching numbers, good bore, and unit disk in the stock for quite a while and finally found one on Gunbroker. Didn't want it to get away and it had a "buy now" on it with an offer of no CC fee and free shipping if I went that route, so I did. Found a place with a couple of Husqvarna made M1867 bayonets, so I might pick one up for it. Now if I could just find a Swedish tricorne Landstorm (home guard) hat (have never seen one for sale). View attachment 106726

View attachment 106725
    Hate to hear about the covid. Yall be extra safe. If ya need something give me a yell. Also, I'm a noob reloader but it seems like Unique works for alot of different calibers really well. I just picked up another can for use with the 45 colt, 357 and 10mm.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hate to hear about the covid. Yall be extra safe. If ya need something give me a yell. Also, I'm a noob reloader but it seems like Unique works for alot of different calibers really well. I just picked up another can for use with the 45 colt, 357 and 10mm.
    Daezee's secret load for allot of pre-1900 military cartridges is, 16 grains of 2400. So don't tell anyone

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Daezee, I’m sorry to hear this , I know other folks that have tested positive and didn’t come down with it ,hopefully that will be the outcome for you and your wife.

oh , I almost forgot the gun stuff. Sold a bunch of ammunition for a friend. And threaded a barrel for a suppressor after I shortened it to 16 and a quarter inches.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've realized that being gone from home usually 12 hrs a day for 6 days a week most times, gives me very little time to do anything, much less shoot, but I do make time on the way home to aquire goods to have fun with eventually.
    All I had time for this week was 20rds of 22lr in the lever gun. But hey, I'm working for way more important stuff than pew pew thingys.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    It’s weird, my wife and I try to be careful, wearing masks and using hand sanitizer, only going out when needed. We take temps and check oxygen levels every day.

Anyway, using Unique with cast bullets has been done for decades. However, be careful, pressures can go up if a moderate load is exceeded. It is not for top loads. A somewhat common load is 12.5 gr Unique with a 450 gr bullet for the Swede, but if I can get by on less, I will, it being easier on the old rifle and brass. An initial test with one of my fired cases shows no resizing is needed, just a slight belling of the case mouth to be able to start the bullet followed by just enough crimp to remove enough belling to be able to fully chamber the round.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s weird, my wife and I try to be careful, wearing masks and using hand sanitizer, only going out when needed. We take temps and check oxygen levels every day.

I saw your Mrs. was Positive, hope she doesn't have bad symptoms and has a fast recovery. I hope you don't get the bug. Any chance she hadwas a false Pos?

Top Bottom