Two cartridges that I love that everyone else hates.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miami_JBT

Expert
    Own several 9s and 40s, but not a fan of either one in an auto pistol, revolver or carbine. Partial to a 45 ACP. It is an old cartridge but well tested and still works fairly well.

And in my experience which is more than two days, a woman can shoot a 1911, in 45 ACP, as well as a man and can shoot much better than some men I have seen shoot.

You need to have shot against Bill Roger's wife in a FL state IPSC championship match, as I did. We were tied for top in class and shot the Christmas Tree as a shoot off. She did not win, but that was not for lack of trying.
    9x19mm is older than .45 ACP

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Probably at the behest of the gun manufacturers who kept having the weak points in their guns demonstrated by original 10mm. That BP .40 was snappy enough we had to have our guns replaced every 5,000 rounds. Now by "replaced" I mean with one that had gone back to wherever the main arsenal was for inspection and critical parts replacement, not a brand-new from the factory gun. Some folks did get NIB guns when theirs failed a frame or slide inspection but that was not the norm.
    Beretta series pistols even in 9mm had a similar replacement cycle for locking wedges and recoil springs.

Locking wedges on Berettas are critical parts and back in the day, they had a design flaw. Beretta has since updated the design (three generations actually now) and that issue has been somewhat resolved.

But for folks that don't know, it isn't a .40 S&W. It is just an issue.

The Army moved away from the Beretta because of it.

And they did that because the Army is too lazy to actually inspect their pistols.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    I can’t say I have any love for the 45 gap, I didn’t care for of the looks of the slide being wider than the frame .
    And didn’t see any advantage to it over 45acp in any of my other pistols. But I’m a big fan of the 40 S&W , it’s my primary carry choice , it and 357 sig make up 90 percent of the defense pistols I choose to carry. The Glock 31 in 357sig is as close as you can get to 16 shot 357 magnum power in a reasonably compact package.
    All of the above is my opinion and nothing more.
    I never got into .357 SIG, but I might have to give it a go since I am esoteric at this stage in my life.

Maybe I'll hunt down a .357 SIG barrel for my Browning .40 S&W HP.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    I never got into .357 SIG, but I might have to give it a go since I am esoteric at this stage in my life.

Maybe I'll hunt down a .357 SIG barrel for my Browning .40 S&W HP.
    It's on my list for my G22. Brass will be hard to come by for reloading, I'm sure. Haven't really looked or checked.

mrjenkins

Expert
    I always preferred 357sig over 40 S&W. I just hate 40 with a passion. I’ve owned several and never liked any of them. I always wanted to like them. I just couldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I owned a glock 23. And I don't mind .40 s&w. One thing it has going for it is most people share your beliefs on it. Guess what? While covid was going. I was able to walk into ANY gun shop and buy as much .40 as I wanted to. 9mm, 45, 223/556, 7.62x39, shotgun shells. All gone. But literally thousands of rounds of 40 still on shelves. I didn't even notice the shortage. 40 and 357 sig were completely unaffected by covid. And on top of that. 40 has the same if not slightly better ballistics depending on the load. I always said the weakest 40 was the same ballistically as the hottest 9mm

Last edited:

Bay Ranger

Master
    I owned a glock 23. And I don't mind .40 s&w. One thing it has going for it is most people share your beliefs on it. Guess what? While covid was going. I was able to walk into ANY gun shop and buy as much .40 as I wanted to. 9mm, 45, 223/556, 7.62x39, shotgun shells. All gone. But literally thousands of rounds of 40 still on shelves. I didn't even notice the shortage. 40 and 357 sig were completely unaffected by covid. And on top of that. 40 has the same if not slightly better ballistics depending on the load. I always said the weakest 40 was the same ballistically as the hottest 9mm
    I agree with your .40 supply comment. I was able to buy .40 in 1000 round cases for considerably less than 9mm.

BTW, I love my USP .40

ABlaster

Marksman
    Seems like factory 40, like factory 10mm is weak. Also factory sizing sucks. Get a go, no go drop in gauge and check your rounds, 80% fail. It will shock ya.
    I went and checked 100 rounds of Winchester Ranger 180 grain .40's as well as the 30 or so 155 Federals I had handy in magazines. They all passed the drop in gauge check, at least!

Also, Paul Harrell passed away yesterday, which sucks.

Reactions: FLT

ABlaster

Marksman
    RIP Paul.

Yeah, I know his family is going to try and keep the channel alive, but I just can't see that working out. The channel was half the content and half Paul's personality/delivery style. I would be legit shocked if it was as interesting with anyone else at the helm.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    Yeah, I know his family is going to try and keep the channel alive, but I just can't see that working out. The channel was half the content and half Paul's personality/delivery style. I would be legit shocked if it was as interesting with anyone else at the helm.
    I tried to watch a video that was purportedly his brother.....couldn't make it 5 mins....he's NOT Paul

Miami_JBT

Expert
    It is big shoes to fill and in the end. Either they'll get their own rhythm, or the channel will simply be the old episodes from Paul Harrell.

Take Stephan Camp's Hi-Powers & Handguns website.

Camp passed away over a decade now. His wife ran the website and she's gotten long in the tooth. Allen Zant is now running the place. He's going to produce some new material. From 2011 to 2024, there was no new material being added to the page. It was just all of Camp's old articles and reviews.

I think that's what's going to happen with Harrell's channel. The family will run it, most of it will be Harrell's material and his brother will add something to it every now and again.

It is what it is.

ABlaster

Marksman
    It is big shoes to fill and in the end. Either they'll get their own rhythm, or the channel will simply be the old episodes from Paul Harrell.

Take Stephan Camp's Hi-Powers & Handguns website.

Camp passed away over a decade now. His wife ran the website and she's gotten long in the tooth. Allen Zant is now running the place. He's going to produce some new material. From 2011 to 2024, there was no new material being added to the page. It was just all of Camp's old articles and reviews.

I think that's what's going to happen with Harrell's channel. The family will run it, most of it will be Harrell's material and his brother will add something to it every now and again.

It is what it is.

What I really appreciated about him was he would address things that other channels wouldn't to anticipate confusion and head it off. I also really appreciated the "meat target" tests. It really seemed to be the extra step that's missing from ballistic gel testing.

Top Bottom