Two cartridges that I love that everyone else hates.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Gel will get you some comparison, but pork is as close to human flesh as the average person can get. Legally that is. A freshly killed 200 or so pound hog suspended from the front legs will display a wound channel that is similar to what a human would incur.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I went and checked 100 rounds of Winchester Ranger 180 grain .40's as well as the 30 or so 155 Federals I had handy in magazines. They all passed the drop in gauge check, at least!

Also, Paul Harrell passed away yesterday, which sucks.
    Well that's good. I have the Wilson 10mm one. Most Aqulia brand was a no go, but shot ok. Several others were hit or miss on passing.

FrommerStop

Master
    My only concern about the .45 gap the availability of ammunition.

Around home I soon plan to carry a .40 because of the local black bears. It with stiff handloads and those angled fluted extreme penetrating bullets should so a better job than my 9's.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    It is big shoes to fill and in the end. Either they'll get their own rhythm, or the channel will simply be the old episodes from Paul Harrell.

Take Stephan Camp's Hi-Powers & Handguns website.

Camp passed away over a decade now. His wife ran the website and she's gotten long in the tooth. Allen Zant is now running the place. He's going to produce some new material. From 2011 to 2024, there was no new material being added to the page. It was just all of Camp's old articles and reviews.

I think that's what's going to happen with Harrell's channel. The family will run it, most of it will be Harrell's material and his brother will add something to it every now and again.

It is what it is.

I was like Stephen Camp’s material, I haven’t looked at his page in years. I had almost forgotten about it.
    It looks like Jerry calls brother is going to take over the YouTube channel and continue to produce content and keep falls, original content up and available. Paul was always a class act in a really dirty and shitty industry.
    Having been in the training industry for almost 20 years now I absolutely despise a lot of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    When people start talking calibers they often get misty eyed or either arrogant and just talking emotion and forget basic facts.
    No matter what the round is, penetration is the first point to cover. Then other facts include: recoil, velocity vs expanding ammo, availability & cost of the ammo, what guns will chamber it, and then how big a hole.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    When people start talking calibers they often get misty eyed or either arrogant and just talking emotion and forget basic facts.
    No matter what the round is, penetration is the first point to cover. Then other facts include: recoil, velocity vs expanding ammo, availability & cost of the ammo, what guns will chamber it, and then how big a hole.
    I think you have to consider shot placement too.
    To my way of thinking on the subject if you don’t have shot placement then penetration is a non-issue.

FrommerStop

Master
    I think you have to consider shot placement too.
    To my way of thinking on the subject if you don’t have shot placement then penetration is a non-issue.
    If the caliber can not penetrate, unless you place it in the eye or up the nose or a testicle, then shot placement will not help. The load must be capable of making a lethal wound and also of course what you hit with it is important also. But shot placement is related to but still a different consideration than choice of caliber. The weaker the caliber, the more accuracy that is required. Example below is the skull of a record grizzly killed by a native american woman in canada with a .22. I believe it was shorts. The range was close and she spent a life time trapping; she knew exactly where to shot and to fire repetitively to be sure she got the brain.

I’ll add one more speculation. In 1953, the likelihood of a trapper using Long Rifle .22 rimfire ammunition while trapping, was, well, let’s say, unlikely. I’ll bet a crisp fifty-dollar bill that they were .22-shorts. A trapper neither needed nor wanted the extra velocity of the Long Rife rimfire rounds for two reasons: undamaged pelts bring a premium dollar, and .22 Long Rife rounds were more expensive––just speculating here. She would have wanted neither the additional velocity nor the additional cost.

1725601287887.png

1725601371496.jpeg

Top Bottom